T-Mobile Oreo ota?

techguy3184

Hi,

In general I was wondering if T-Mobile has received Oreo code from any manufacturer? I ask because the company is delayed in updating their software update page on their website. It still mentions version 7 with all phones in complete state.

I understand T-Mobile does not just pass down code but it does it's own testing, adding it's own apps to the os, etc. But it doesn't even seem like T-Mobile is even testing at all. The biggest thing is the huge battery improvement.

I have a Nexus 5x device that has received it and the phone went from guzzling the battery to just sipping power. Not to mention all other improvements.

And I need it badly on my z2 force. It drains battery like no bodies business. And current software is 7.1.1 which is original software the phone launched with. Not even updates where issued.

Plus Moto has indicated in the update bt is updated from 4.2 to 5.0.

Moto claims they have the code ready but carriers haven't taken it up yet. So they blame carriers for the delay. I'm hoping TMobile takes it and launches it before the new years.

Calling support proved to be useless because TMobile never shares anything with support.

I hope you guys update your update page I want to follow the progress.

All replies

• tidbits

Re: T-Mobile Oreo ota?

techguy3184 wrote:

Hi,

In general I was wondering if T-Mobile has received Oreo code from any manufacturer? I ask because the company is delayed in updating their software update page on their website. It still mentions version 7 with all phones in complete state.

I understand T-Mobile does not just pass down code but it does it's own testing, adding it's own apps to the os, etc. But it doesn't even seem like T-Mobile is even testing at all. The biggest thing is the huge battery improvement.

I have a Nexus 5x device that has received it and the phone went from guzzling the battery to just sipping power. Not to mention all other improvements.

And I need it badly on my z2 force. It drains battery like no bodies business. And current software is 7.1.1 which is original software the phone launched with. Not even updates where issued.

Plus Moto has indicated in the update bt is updated from 4.2 to 5.0.

Moto claims they have the code ready but carriers haven't taken it up yet. So they blame carriers for the delay. I'm hoping TMobile takes it and launches it before the new years.

Calling support proved to be useless because TMobile never shares anything with support.

I hope you guys update your update page I want to follow the progress.

It does not work that way

Manufacturers do all the coding and apps which are given to them in advanced by the carrier.  The only time the carrier even touches the update is when the manufacturer submits code for testing.  T-Mobile has 0 control of Nexus devices or even the Pixels.  Motorola hasn't even have Oreo in the MDN currently so don't think any Oreo is coming any time soon.  Motorola phone reps will NEVER know exactly where they are in development you have to talk to engineers who actually work on it. Never listen to phone reps for any company when dealing with updates. You will always get a canned useless response.. 

Just some more information.  I have been in talks with Motorola engineers to fix issues with the Engineers and they have sent me software updates to fix issues.  If they had the software 8.0 ready to go I would have had it by now.  Why work on 7.1.1 to fix issues if they have to 8.0 code ready and by introducing 8.0 after they fix it may cause other issues if not break the issue some more?

Side note my 5X battery has gotten worse, and there has been more redraws than ever before and my Nexus 5X is a brand new(2017 manufactured).  I am about to downgrade because it isn't working and I have 0 apps installed for a while now.

• techguy3184

Hi,

That's interesting. My 5x actually got better. On 7 it would drain my battery like no bodies business. I got the 8 and for me it got way better. I guess software affects devices differently? Mine is the first version of the phone. I liked it. And on my pixel c tablet it brought back an old graphics issue that was fixed in version 7. At least to me it seems like the software Google releases always has varying effects. Which is fine. I know that nothing is spot on perfect.

And really appreciate the info. I'm just having a nervous break down with this battery drain on my z2 force. I came from an s8 that had solid battery life. Would go from 100% in the morning to 80% by around 8pm. In comparison on the z2 it goes from 100% in the morning to around 40% by 8pm. Around 2 time less than the s8 in similar use. Samsung was awesome for battery but I hated their TouchWiz and inability to remove their software out of the phone. Plus the phone got slower and stuttered with time. The z2 force is fluid and amazing no stutters and super fast. But at compromise of battery life.

I wrote this because after reading release notes and talking with people and experiencing it for myself there are several fixes that will make the z2 force a phone to beat!! But I guess I have to be patient. Just hoping for Christmas surprise with an OTA update. That would be amazing.

Thanks again for your information and help.

• tidbits

Samsung battery life varies by users.  There are users out there will tell you the batter life is terrible.  There's no telling what the problem is.

I have better battery life with my Z2 Force than I do with my S8+ if that's any consolation

Chances are the T-Mobile and Sprint devices would get it first.