Number Porting Problems

magenta3047616

I have been trying to port my telephone number to T-Mobile for the past month without success. I have had multiple telephone conversations with T-Mobile employees at the Number Porting Center, as well as their Casework Department in Manila, Philippines. I feel like I’m going around in circles and explaining the same things over and over. Some years ago, I ported my landline number to RNK Phone Number Bank. They provided a service whereby I could maintain my longtime phone number and forward it to any number at will via their website. RNK went bankrupt, and through a series of bankruptcies, mergers and acquisitions, my number was transferred to Signal Point Communications and then to Bandwidth and then to Peerless Networks. Blitz Telecom was also involved. Lastly, Peerless transferred my number to Intelequint where it is now.

T-Mobile submitted a request to port my telephone number to Intelequint, and it was rejected. I contacted Intelequent and they suggested that T-Mobile submit a LOA (Letter of Authorization) along with the port out request. The T-Mobile Office in the Phillipines has been unwilling to do this as they only communicate by phone and don’t have a way to obtain my signature. I would also like T-Mobile to communicate to Intelequint that I can prove that the telephone number belongs to me. I still live at the same address as when my landline was transferred to RNK Phone Number Bank. I have owned the number since 1987. I can provide Quest telephone bills documenting this ranging from 2007 back to 2003. Unfortunately, I don’t have a separate account number for RNK, as the entire porting and billing process with them was done on their now defunct website.

Can anyone suggest how I can communicate this to someone at T-Mobile who can help me? I think written communications would be the most efficient, so I don’t have to keep repeating myself.

All replies

• tmo_marissa

Re: Number Porting Problems

Hi, magenta3047616, and thank you so much for posting. It's a bummer that your porting process has been so complicated! I hope we can help get to the bottom of this!

An LOA (Letter of Agency/Letter of Authorization) is an industry standard and requirement for any port process, but it can be written or verbal. The LOA is recognized as the owner's permission to act on their behalf in moving a line to T-Mobile. The other wireless carrier or wireline company typically recognizes that the line's owner has provided a verbal LOA because a port request includes the account number and PIN or password for the number where it's currently housed.

It sounds like your number took a wild journey through a series of companies -- can I clarify, at this point, do you have an account with Inteliquest with an account number and PIN or password that you were providing to T-Mobile when you were submitting the port-in details?

- Marissa

1 of 1 people found this helpful
        • magenta3047616

Thanks for your response Marissa. No, I have had no relationship at all with Intelliquent, in fact, they don't do business with individual consumers. My relationship was with RNK Phone Number Bank, who went bankrupt. I also am not aware of any account number with them, as my telephone number was my account number. I do have the login password that I used to access my account online at RNK (it was basically a number forwarding service), but I'm not sure that is useful. I still reside at the same address (this number was originally a land line), however, so that should be the same. I can prove that I own the number, but I don't have an account number or pin. I assume that this is why my original port out request was rejected.

• magenta3047616

Here is a response I received from an inteliquent employee via email:

“The best option is to have them submit a LOA with the request as it will help validate the request. Unfortunately we are not responsible for the approval or rejection of these requests.  They are sent by us to our customers which may be a reseller and they validate the request on their end and inform us of their findings.  So whatever information they have in their system is how they validate the request.  So like I said a LOA attachment submitted to our portal would be a good start.”

Unfortunately, I don’t know what information they have in their system to validate the request. I assume that it would be information that RNK had that was attached to the number. I can provide name and address, obviously. I also have a credit report showing the telephone number as well as my old landline telephone bill prior to porting the number to RNK. I had the number on my landline for 20 years prior to porting it to RNK. However, if there was an account number, other than my phone number at RNK, I’m not aware of it. RNK handled things strictly through their website and nothing was ever mailed to me.

• tmo_marissa

Oh, yikes -- what a mess!

So, you're right -- the "validation" they're asking for is in the form of the same account details (account number, PIN/PW) that we'd ask for in order to initiate the port request in the first place. When we provide those details to the company we're asking to bring the number in from, they verify that the account information is correct to support that a verbal LOA was agreed upon by the account owner.

Basically, we're in a pickle here because the details that we need in order to initiate the request, we also need in order for them to recognize the request. Without the account details, we won't be able to successfully bring the line over to T-Mobile, as much as we'd love to!  I'm sorry to say that we're not able to communicate with them on your behalf in order to prove that the number is yours in any way other than by submitting a standard port request using these very account details in question.

When you were reaching out to Inteliquent about porting the number to T-Mobile, did you have the opportunity to ask what records they show for the number? As it's been changing hands, have these companies afforded you the opportunity to continue making any necessary payments for the line to be hosted through their systems? I haven't been through a situation like this personally, but I would hope that there had been some legal stipulation in whatever agreement you originally entered into with RNK that required them to give you some next options in the event that they closed down!

- Marissa

1 of 1 people found this helpful
                • tmo_marissa

Hi again, magenta3047616. I just wanted to check in with you and make sure you'd had a chance to read over my last reply. I know it's not the news you were hoping for, but I do want to make sure you're not feeling as though we've left you hanging. Please let me know if you have any more questions or concerns!

- Marissa