S8+ Driving me crazy

timmi325

Ok let me start with the basics and get to the weird. My phone is 2 months old. I am new to mobile. I have 4 phones on my account. 2 GALAXY s8+, IPHONE 7+ AND 1 NOTE 3.  I just thought my mobile service suck in some area where I travel, but the other day I had my daughter with me and she is using her IPHONE. I told her not to bother there is no signal here and she says yes there is I have 3bars of LTE. I look at my phone and 5bars of 2g service.(basicly phone calls only. Then got my wife's S8+ and no signal. Then got my son's NOTE 3 and he has a signal. If I restart my S8+ it will sometimes pick up the LTE signal, but once it switches to 2g service it's like it does want to go back to LTE. It seem the only time it does switch back is if I get 5 bars of LTE. Then there the problem with missed text message or texts that get delivered an hour after they were sent. The weirdest is when my phone just freezes. Sometimes I can navigate in the phone but nothing works and other times my phone locks for 2-3 minutes. I know what everyone is thinking, it one of you apps causing the problem. Got rid out all but the mobile installed apps and still have this problem. My wife's S8+ is not as problematic as my phone but her phone does have the same connection issue with LTE. Is anyone else having this?

All replies

• tmo_lauren

Re: S8+ Driving me crazy

Hmmm, that's certainly strange - I'd be pretty annoyed too.

Are your S8 devices T-Mobile branded? Is this happening all over, or just in specific areas?

Thanks so much in advance and we'll see what we can figure out.

-Lauren

• tmo_marissa

Hey there! How are things going for you? If you're still having trouble with your S8+es, we'd love to know the answers to the questions Lauren asked above. I'd also like to ask if you'd mind checking your WiFi calling settings and letting me know what they're set to! Thank you!

- Marissa

• tmo_mike_c

We really wanna make sure this gets resolved. Lauren asked some really good questions that can help us pinpoint what's going on so we can help. Please give us a reply back and let us know. Thanks.

• timmi325

I am have the problem everywhere. If my phone goes into anything other than LTE. It get stick there until I get a really strong LTE signal. This is a T-MOBILE branded phone. I have not been using WiFi, so I have no setting for WiFi calling. On Saturday I was sitting next to my wife at a hockey game. She has 4 bars LTE and my phone has 5 bars of 2G. I can only make phone calls. Had to rest my phone.

• tmo_mike_c

Wow, this is pretty odd. Has your phone been this way the entire 2 months? Can you take a look at the software version you're running on your phone and make sure it's got the latest version listed on our Software updates: Samsung Galaxy S8+  page? If it's not up to date, I suggest starting there first. You mentioned that you "reset" your phone. Did you master reset it or restart the phone? I'd just like to get some additional info on what you've done already. Thanks.

• timmi325

The phone is up to date. I just restart the phone or switch it to airplane mode and then off.

• tmo_mike_c

I'd like you to try something else for me. Can you make sure your network mode is set to LTE/4G/3G/2G (auto connect)? I'd also like to know if the phone gets stronger service when it's in Safe mode. I'd really appreciate you doing this. This'll help us figure out how to fix this for you.

1 of 1 people found this helpful
                            • tmo_mike_c

Hi there!

Just checking in to see if you still need help here. Please give the steps in my previous post a shot and let us know the results. Thanks!

• dscott90

I have been having the same problem as well. When i first got the phone it worked flawlessly. but once it updated it seemed like it is not working as good a friend at work has the iPhone 7 plus and has signal all throughout the building except a few minor places. With me i have to go outside to get any LTE. also on my plan its suppose to have the one plus add on. I called support and the lady told me that my data wasn't turned on. so she turned it on and now when i go into the app it says that the one plus is not activated but she said it was Because i want to be able to steam what i watch in HD since this phone has such an amazing display but even before she changed it. It still would not play the videos in HD. I am going to go to my closest mobile store in the morning any help would be appreciated.

• tmo_mike_c

You're right dscott90 . This phone has an amazing screen and we definitely want you to be able to take advantage of faster speeds and streaming. Is just this one building you're having trouble in? Have you tested other areas to see service is faster there? We want help you out here but please let us know if you stopped by the store and got the help you need. Thanks!

• dscott90

As for my plan and the hd data, Yes i figured that part out i didn't realize that you was suppose to turn on hd in the t-mobile app. and the signal part i also have problems with getting signal at my moms house. i can be inside and have practically no signal but walk a couple feet outside and 2 to 4 bars of lte. those are the only places i have experienced this problem. I talked to a guy at my local store and he said it could be because of the building type and different phones pick up signals differently buy my mom has the same phone as me just on verizon and a guy i work with has the same phone just att and both get service inside.

• tmo_mike_c

I'm glad the data portion is working so thanks for keeping us informed. For the signal, have you checked the phones software to make sure it's up to date? Have you checked the coverage map and looked up your mom's exact address to check the service there? I agree that in some instances the building can impact the signal but there's still a way to get that looked in to for possible solutions.

• dscott90

No problem. and yes phone is up to date and both places are covered in coverage. it does say that its fair coverage on the website but if I'm outside i get at least 3 bars so i consider that to be a little better than fair coverage.

• tmo_mike_c

Ah okay. Thanks for checking. With fair coverage, it can be challenging sometimes to get signal while in certain homes or buildings. There are a couple things you could try to see if they help. One, is changing to 2G only then giving it a shot. Now, I know doing this can change how fast the data is, but this setting can help with giving you the ability to call and text while in fair coverage areas especially indoors. Two, if your mom has internet and a Wi-Fi router, you could connect to it and use the service. We actually encourage using Wi-Fi Calling in areas where coverage isn't as strong as others.