T-Mobile's "Un-Carrier" Move Is Garbage!

gregoryh.

Hello everyone,

Before i start, i just want to say that this is based on MY opinion!

So I've always loved T-Mobile because they were always a pro consumer company. They always knew what us as customers wanted. cheap prices, great service perks, and awesome deals on the latest and greatest flagships. However, lately something has been off about them. I signed up with them at the beginning of this year and used my own phone and the bill and service was on point and always consistent. However, I wasn't liking the performance of the phone i was using, so they convinced me to try their "JUMP! On Demand" program where you can upgrade your phone anytime you wanted. I thought "fantastic!!" but of course that's where screwed up. Got a T-Mobile REVVL for $0 down through this program and it's been hell ever since. This phone started acting up on me so i went online and bought a Samsung Galaxy S6 to use. I called T-Mobile to ask them about giving back their phone. They told me that i would be able to give it back AND i would have to pay for the phone outright. That's absurd!! On their site it specifically says that all property that is leased is still T-Mobile's property until it is paid in full. So if i give it back, why would i pay them full price for the phone? If I have to still buy the phone, i'm keeping it! Who wouldn't? All of this followed by the fact that my bill is inconstant as well. It's always a different price every month and it has been ever since i have got on this JUMP! program. T-Mobile advertises themselves as a no-contract company. However, this isn't true. Your phone payments ARE the contract.

All replies

• nelfar212

Re: T-Mobile's "Un-Carrier" Move Is Garbage!

here's how the Jump program works, even though I dropped it from my lines. it's an all in one deal "insurance blah blah" basically, when you purchase a phone via the "EIP" and choose to "JUMP" the program pays off the remaining balance left on the "EIP" allowing you to purchase a new device either in full or "EIP" .

So in my case I purchased a NOTE 3 back in 2014, I forget my monthly EIP payment but I went to "JUMP" to the NOTE 5, I had something in the ball park of $300 dollars remaining on my EIP, I elected not to JUMP, keep my NOTE 3, and dropped JUMP all together. I did this knowing that I assume all risk that my device is no longer protected from Theft, Lost or Physical damage. I recently purchased the NOTE 8, no jump. still have my NOTE 3 because it's paid off. I do realize if I damage my phone I'm solely responsible for the damage and TMO will not replace my device. Their only obligated to do a warranty exchange if the device develops an issue not related to physical, liquid or any other damage due to my own neglect. In my opinion the closer you get to having a device paid in full the benefit of the Jump on demand portion diminishes, my NOTE 3 doesn't have a single scratch on it.      

1 of 1 people found this helpful
        • tmo_marissa

Re: T-Mobile's "Un-Carrier" Move Is Garbage!

Hi, gregoryh., and welcome! Your opinion is welcome here, good or bad, so thanks for taking the time to post.
          JUMP! On Demand is an awesome service in many instances, but it does come with some eligibility constraints, one of which is that when you upgrade with JOD, it needs to be completed in a store or over the phone with our Care team. This allows us to create the scheduled return for the original device, which unfortunately isn't something our web systems can do. Turn-ins have to happen at a retail location so that the device you're turning in can be inspected in person at that time.

If you purchased the S6 online from us, you may still be able to return that phone within the Buyer's Remorse period and Contact Us to place an upgrade order using JUMP! On Demand instead! If the S6 came from another source and returning it and placing a JOD order instead isn't an option, you have a few options with the lease. You can buy out your lease by paying the remaining installments and the purchase option price and keep the phone. Or you can cancel/terminate your lease by paying the remaining lease installments out but not the purchase option price, and turning the device in. Another option entirely, if the S6 was purchased from another source and you're not worried about double installments on your T-Mobile bill, is that you can simply allow the monthly lease installments to continue to bill, and turn the device in in good condition once the 18 months are complete, or keep it and pay the purchase option price at that time -- so if you don't want to terminate with a lease balance lump sum, or buy out with a lease balance + residual lump sum, you don't have to.

All this said, I know that this isn't the way you understood the program to work, and I'm sorry to be the bearer of this news. I just wanted to call out the difference between paying the lease obligation and turning the device in, or paying the lease balance and the residual and owning the phone. It definitely sounds like we could have done a better job differentiating this when you spoke with us to ask your question and I'm so sorry for any confusion we caused!

- Marissa