Any bands being dropped on T-Mo?

dc5fan

I own an S5 (unlocked G900A). In one of my earlier posts I did a search on the T-Mo & AT&T bands. I learned that the two have several bands matched together. I am asking will any of these bands  be dropped from T-Mo? On a side note I live around the Champaign/Urbana area, and have noticed I am seeing more of the 4G LTE logo at the top right center of my phone. I haven't seen much of the Edge. I guess that is a good thing! My phone is voice only.

All replies

• snn555

Re: Any bands being dropped on T-Mo?

TMobile is not dropping any of its bands and it is in fact adding a new band over the coming months and years. Your phone will not be able to use that new band. There are only two phones available right now that use that band. Being that your phone is for voice only LTE is mainly a data signal though voice over LTE or volte is widely used now. Edge is an old standard that should be mainly phased out with the spread of Lte being prevalent now. Should you ever decide that you want your T-Mobile service to expand Beyond voice only you would probably need a newer device. I know you have stated many times before that you are voice only but at some point you would need to upgrade to a newer phone to take full advantage of T-Mobile's Network. You will also find that while there are some bands that are similar or the same that there are some bands that TMobile uses that AT&T does not. In these areas you might find limited service.

1 of 1 people found this helpful
          • dc5fan

I got a hold of either someone in Customer Care or a moderator a couple of weeks ago. I was told that my S5 will suffice for just voice. For me to add any other services ain't happening. Right now I am answering on my laptop. Regarding bands my phone is bouncing back and forth from 4G LTE and Edge. I know I can still the use the phone. You do raise some ideas for me when this phone will be replaced. Thanks!

• snn555

Tell us again exactly what plan you are on. Why is it that you do not use data? And if voice you're only concerned Why do you have a smartphone?

• dc5fan

snn55: I am on the $3 a month, Pay as you go. I am a Type II diabetic with diabetic retinopathy. It means my retinas are somewhat swelled. My vision changes. NOTE to moderators: I don't mind giving a little of my medical history. This is why I don't text. I have a smartphone because of my mp3s. You have no idea how nice it has been to play my smartphone, and the S3, making a 300 mile trip from my home in Illinois to visit my parents in Bardstown.  That's about 275 miles. The type of music I have is about 10 genres of music. Guess what? No assine commercials! When I got about 25 miles north of Louisville I would listen to 840 AM, WHAS radio to get road reports and lane detours. A lot of my mp3s were from my vinyl collection. Quite a few were from "records" over 50 years ago. I took great care of them. My favourite band is the Dave Clark 5. In 1963 I decided I wanted to be a drummer. 4 years later I bought my first set, a Slingerlands. When I recorded the vinyl to a CD I took the CD and changed the cda file to an mp3. I don't understand the finished file sounded better than the record. Almost no noise. My brother gave me the S3, but it wasa CDMA phone only. I wanted to send it back to him, and that's when he suggested to put some mp3s on the S3. I was hooked! And that's my story, and I'm sticking to it! LOL! DISCLAIMER: All the files taken from vinyl were not sold! They were for my private use only!

• dc5fan

When the time comes that I can no longer use my S5 as voice only I will get another phone. In my area around Champiagn/Urbana it is working very well.

• drnewcomb2

T-Mobile isn't dropping any bands (frequencies) but they are depreciating standards. WCDMA (3G) is being moved around and dropped altogether in some places. GSM (2G) is being relegated to a very thin layer in the guard-bands of band-2 LTE. For reliable voice service, compatible VoLTE will be more and more a necessity. If you're phone starts having trouble connecting, dropping calls or calls go directly to voicemail, it may be a good indication that you'll need a new phone.  

• tmo_marissa

Welcome, dc5fan! I feel like I've seen you on a few other threads at this point, but I really loved reading your musical history! I know our Community members have had some great insight to share here and I think they're spot on, but I wanted to just make sure there weren't any more questions we could answer for you.

- Marissa

• dc5fan

Going to England in 1962 for 22 months was a musical blast! In 1967 I bought my first drumset. Played for about 40 years off and on. It was a band called the Dave Clark 5 in 1963 that I decided I wanted to be a drummer. I also sang lead and back up when needed.

• tmo_marissa

That's awesome! I can not even imagine how cool the UK was in 1967! And spending almost two years there had to be amazing. I have to confess that I don't know much about The Dave Clark 5 beyond "Glad All Over" but I'm going to add their Spotify station to my playlists and check them out!

• dc5fan

The DC5 was the only band that gave the Beatles a run for their money. Just a reminder I live d there in 1962-64. When "A Hard Day's Night" was filmed I lived 70 miles east at a base called RAF Fairford. Go to Youtube and check out their version of "Southern Man" written by Neil Young. If you use headphones the stereo is pretty good.

• dc5fan

Marissa: I am done with this question. Doing some checks on some other phones. Thanks much!