"Not registered on network" in India using Samsung S8

shwetasah

This is urgent. I am in Ahmedabad, Gujarat, India (area with coverage map showing 3G or above). Although the network signal shows 3-4 signal bars, whenever I make a call it says "Not registered on network".

I tried troubleshooting on my own by restarting the phone, reinserting the SIM and manually selecting  the network. Nothing helped.

I cant even talk to TMobile as my phone isn't receiving any calls. I believe this is the only way to reach out to TMobile for help related to service issues. Because of this issue, I cant even use my Mobile Data and my phone is basically useless with this error. Can someone please please please look into this?

All replies

• drnewcomb2

Roaming problems in India are a not-infrequent complaint. Did the phone ever work in India? What is your mobile plan? (Prepaid/Postpaid?)  How long have you been roaming? Have you tried restricting the network mode (e.g. 2G-only, 3G-only)?  Have you checked My-T-Mobile to see if roaming has been blocked?  If you can get access to WiFi, you can use WiFi Calling to contact T-Mobile's international roaming desk at +1-505-998-3793. It's a free call from your T-Mobile phone.

1 of 1 people found this helpful
          • shwetasah

Hi,

I will answer your questions:

Did the phone ever work in India?

This is the first time I am using Samsung S8 in India. The last time I was traveling internationally(Turkey and India) I had this same SIM on an iPhone and even then I had to reach out to TMobile to get my phone working for this same issue. I don't remember the resolution as it was an year ago.

What is your mobile plan? (Prepaid/Postpaid?)

Postpaid Family Plan. We recently switched to TMobile One and also upgraded to get better internet connectivity mobile data on International Roaming. But it seems I have been wasting my money as I cant even call an Uber using Mobile Data.

How long have you been roaming?

5 days

Have you tried restricting the network mode (e.g. 2G-only, 3G-only)?

Yes I tried this too. For each of the options, even a basic Google Search is not possible and it would say "No Network available"

Have you checked My-T-Mobile to see if roaming has been blocked?

I can't because neither the Tmobile website not the Tmobile app is working! I am getting the following error when accessing My TMobile.

502 Bad Gateway

The server returned an invalid or incomplete response.

• drnewcomb2

And you can't send or receive text messages? No cellular connection at all? You must have access to WiFi or a non-cellular Internet connection to post here. I'd call T-Mobile at the number I gave previously and/or get online to check MY-T-Mobile. This is one reason I like to travel with a backup phone with either a local prepaid SIM or a prepaid international SIM, like Piranha.

• shwetasah

Haha, "This is one reason I like to travel with a backup phone with either a local prepaid SIM or a prepaid international SIM, like Piranha." By this you mean TMobile International Roaming is hopeless and we should all assume that it will never work and carry a backup SIM right? Awesome alternate solution. I think this should be included in the TMobile International Roaming Commercials as well lol!  I just wish I had not paid so much for the International Roaming Services, I will definitely ask for money back and compensation for inconvenience if roaming doesn't work during this trip.

• tmo_marissa

Hey, shwetasah! We don't want you stuck without service when you're travelling internationally. If you're not able to reach out using the dedicated international roamer's customer care line that drnewcomb2 provided, but you have internet access through other means, then our T-Force team can still securely verify your details take a look at your account if you reach out through Twitter or Facebook! We'd definitely like to take a peek at the account and make sure that all is set up for you to roam without issue.
                As an aside, thank you for letting us know about the 502 gateway error you're seeing -- I'm sorry to say that it seems to be an issue that's cropping up for a few folks here, and we'd definitely like to have you report this as well when you reach out. Thank you!

- Marissa