Problem switching from Verizon to T-mobile. S7 Edge Resolution APN Settings.

thematrix

Hey guys, I went through hell the past couple of months while moving over from Verizon to T-Mobile. Verizon said, "All their phones are unlocked," but really they leave a ton of malware on the phone so that it becomes impossible to use after the transfer. Needless to say, I ended up working with T-Mobile to find an epic resolution. I Played around with the APN. MMS started working but nothing else really. Verizon said that because Verizon is on a different Network the phone would not work--which makes no sense, because i'm not trying to access their network. I eventually prepared to sell my new S7 Edges due to this message, but before that I decided to give it one last try. I seriously played around with the APN. Finally, it seems, I came to a resolution. The following apn worked for me. Incoming calls and outgoing, from the get go.

The significant difference is the Network mode being Global and Network Roaming was set to IPv4/IPv6 as opposed to the default IPv4

Network Mode

Global

Name

T-Mobile US LTE

APN

fast.t-mobile.com

Proxy

Not set

Port

Not set

Username

Not set

Password

Not set

Server not set

MMSC

http://mms.msg.eng.t-mobile.com/mms/wapenc

Multimedia message proxy

WAP 2.0

Multimedia message port

Not Set

MCC

MNC

Authentication Type

Not set

APN protocal

IPv4/IPv6

APN roaming protocal

IPv4/IPv6

Bearer

unspecified

Mobile virtual Network type

none

All replies

• tmo_amanda

thematrix, thanks a million for taking the time to post the settings you used on your Verizon S7 Edge to get it working properly on our network. I'm sure others may run in to the same issue and we'll be sure to point them towards your thread!

I'm happy to hear that all is well now!

• drnewcomb2

While Verizon's phones are required to be unlocked out of the box, thanks to rules the FCC attached to the 700 MHz auction, they do still go out of their way to cripple their phones to make them hard to BYOD away from Verizon. The exceptions are Apple and Pixel products.

• magenta3515135

This is definitely an extremely unpleasant experience. My husband and I both have Samsung S7 from Verizon. We switched to T-mobile in September 2017 and experienced calling/receiving call/SMS issues during the first two weeks.  T-mobile and Verizon kept bouncing us back and forth. We finally escalated the issue to a more knowledgeable T-mobile tech support, he adjusted the APN and everything went well locally.  Last Saturday we traveled to Las Vegas with family. Both of us went through hell again since we cannot call/receive calls and SMS. No wifi calling. The text messages were delayed and sometimes were not able to receive. The T-mobile logo disappeared in the top left-hand corner. All outbound calls either dropped or had such poor quality that no one understood what we are talking, so we cannot even contact customer service properly. All inbound calls went directly to our VM. Every customer support were trained to say no worry, they will be able to help us.  They asked us to perform basic troubleshooting steps such as on/off, ##004#, ##21#, or to ask us to change to a T-mobile device which we do not have, when they failed, they then pushed the ball back to Verizon, stating a disclaimer that those were third-party phones, we can either buy two new T-mobile phones or switch back to Verizon. T-mobile trashed our trust, wasted our time and efforts. During the trip, including the long wait time to contact a representative, I spent over 10+ hours on the phone/chat to communicate the issue with "zero" result. Can you imagine the frustration between all our family members during the trip? When we passed the Nevada border back to California, both of our phones were back to normal.  We can call/receive calls/send SMS. After reading so many people were having the same issue, I think T-mobile should improve their services and technical support for customers.  It is unacceptable for a customer to travel with disrupted, unreliable national wide service at a location with good coverage as T-mobile advertised. It is also T-mobile's responsibility to resolve this ongoing issue since their store representatives told us at the beginning that as long as our phones are unlocked, we can switch to T-mobile from Verizon without any problem. Until today, we are still waiting for the customer service representative to contact us as they stated. We are traveling to other states very soon, we are so frustrated and debating what we should do.

2 of 2 people found this helpful
              • pvlindenfelzer@verizon.net

I had the same problem transferring a phone from Verizon to T-Mobile with my Samsung S7 and struggled for over a week before I decided to try this solution.  I had tried the other options posted: (correct APN settings, GSM network, etc. – you have to do those as well) but I still couldn’t get the phone to work like a phone. I could get MMS and SMS with no problem. Data service worked well, and I could make a phone call but only on the Edge network, not 3G or 4G. I could not receive any phones calls – they went right to voicemail. I have to say that T-Mobile support, both over the phone and in the local store tried very hard to solve the problem but the source was not something they could have resolved.  The support was way better than anything I received from Verizon.

The problem with this transfer is that Verizon must have done something in their version of the OS (I had 6.0, Marshmello) that prevents registration in another network.  The phone was technically unlocked but that doesn’t mean the OS would work well. Thus, the solution is simple: install a non-Verizon distributed version of the OS.  I chose to upgrade to Nougat (7.0).  I had also previously done a factory reset. I am not sure if this is necessary, but it did free up a lot of space by getting rid of useless apps. You will, however, have to relogin to every app. Google does do a good job of remembering which apps you have, though.

Fortunately, you can use SmartSwitch from Samsung to install the upgrade from your computer.

Steps to follow

1. (Optional): Factory Reset of phone. Not sure if this is necessary.
                2. Download SmartSwitch from Samsung to a computer with a USB port.  Install the app and start it. Go to More>Preferences>Software Update
                3. Connect to your phone. Be sure to use a Samsung approved USB cable. It won’t work without one.
                4. Select your phone in SmartSwitch and start the update. It will take a long time. I did it overnight, so I am not sure how long it actually took.
                5. Restart your phone.
                6. Your phone should work.

Good luck.

1 of 1 people found this helpful
              • idelgado

Hi All,

Switched from Verizon to T-Mobile while in Chicago and everything worked well for the most part, however we just arrived to Mt. Ascutney Vermot and I can not connect to the network at all.

I have the settings described above, however I have a feeling I might be missing something. (I keep getting an error at every restart that I have a non verizon sim card as well)

Any one have any experience in the Vermont area?

• magenta4538078

I've had the same issues many of you and there's one thing you should do to fix the problem if you know your way around a computer.  I'm not a programmer and I was able to do it after a few tries.  This process deletes all traces of your carrier's firmware, which they call "bloatware" and installs the T-Mobile firmware in it's place.  It will make the phone the same as if you bought it from the store and it's the only way to go.  Forget all the other little fixes because when you solve one problem another will usually pop up like text messaging issues, phone call trouble and voicemail difficulties.  I had a Verizon Note 8 that was giving all kinds of problems.  Now it works perfectly and has all the T-Mobile apps and services that come with their new phones.  I'm going to post a link to the process for the Note 8 but you can find the correct process for your phone with a little patience on their site or another.  If you're having a hard time finding the directions on that site then use the a search phrase like "download T-Mobile firmware to Galaxy Note 8" or whatever device you may have.  It will show you how to install a program called Odin, download the USB drivers you need so your computer can talk to your phone and the T-Mobile firmware for your device.  Once you do this you will connect your phone to your computer, restart your phone in a boot mode and transfer the new programming to your device.  It takes about an hour or two to accomplish with a little trial and error but trust me it's well worth it.  The site is https://www.getdroidtips.com/ and the link for the Note 8 process is https://www.getdroidtips.com/flash-stock-firmware-galaxy-note-8-odin/

This is something T-Mobile should be explaining to their customers but they want your business so badly that they don't bring it up until after they hook you in.  Don't even bother asking the question in a store and the customer service line is almost as useless.  I don't work for any of the companies mentioned in this post so there's no ulterior motive here. Good Luck and I hopes this helps someone.