Double check an a phone for me on my account

weezyrider

My kid is coming in from the UK in 2 weeks. Right now, she has a Nexus 4 phone on my family account. I keep the account for her usage when she comes to US.

It makes a good present and one she can and will use!

I just tried to add data to it, as all it had was the 500mb. One rep told me I had unlimited data on the line (that's news to me on a Select Choice) so I called back and spoke to another rep. He did add 6G per my request from today till end of cycle on the 13th of NOV.  I will be keeping the 849 number dormant until next year's visit.

The first rep also told me I had unlimited data on MY select choice account. I have 3G with data accrual. Now I just want to make sure the data was added to 719-649-****. She should also be listed as an administrator on the Nexus account. I don't need any mixups as she will have to check on rental car and other things on landing.

The kid will be given a Moto G5+ when she gets to the house. It says the phone is a dual SIM. It is carrier unlocked, and it looks like Vodaphone in the UK has matching bands, The phone should work off the UK SIM in the UK since it is carrier unlocked?

If someone will check and confirm, I'd really appreciate it.

Thanks

All replies

• drnewcomb2

This is a bit confusing. The Nexus 4 is a good phone but a bit limited at this time as it lacks LTE and T-Mobile is depreciating GSM and UMTS-3G services in some markets. It's a bit difficult to make a statement about "Select Choice" plans as there are several versions and none of them were published. The best way to find out the plan is to look on MY-T-Mobile.

The Dual-SIM Moto G5+ (XT1685) is a Euro-centric phone it lacks UMTS band-4 and LTE bands 2, 4 & 12, which T-Mobile uses. While it's a fine phone for UK, it could be quite limiting in the USA, particularly in some markets, like NYC. It looks like T-Mobile is currently using all of band-2 for LTE in El Paso County. AWS (band-4) is fragmented so it's likely that they're running UMTS (3G) in that band. I think you may be shocked when you realize just how poorly that G5+ works in Colorado Springs. The single SIM US version (XT1687) will work much better in the USA but a bit less well in UK.

1 of 1 people found this helpful
          • weezyrider

Just looked at the box for the Moto G+ instead of manual. It's an XT 1687

It doesn't say on the account about the temp add of 6G. I'd added that much last year plus international calling. Her husband wound up with a working vacation.

They are Brits. The second rep was Woody.

I sent her the Nexus 4 2 years ago. It was my old one, and never again with a Google phone. She was using an old Nokia C-6, That would not have worked in the US anymore unless she could find some Edge or its ilk.

Some rep from this site should be able to correct the one I spoke to when I called 611. Her name was Amanda. If she can't even read what is on a plan then when people complain about TMO sneaking new plans onto their account, I wouldn't blame the customers. I don't need the TMO1. The other half doesn't want and won't use data on his flip. 3G is enough for me. The last phone only needs it when kid comes to US. Otherwise, I just keep the line for her. I have Binge On off. I dislike videos and won't watch. I can watch At Bat on my own wifi and turn off data. (I subscribe t0 MLB on the Roku so I get At Bat free) I'm also tired of hearing bass lines so I won't do music. The other half plays bass along with YouTube on his desktop. Cell phones don't meet his audiophile standards.(his words)

This is the first rep from about 2:20 local time:

I just tried to add data to it, as all it had was the 500mb. One rep told me I had unlimited data on the line (that's news to me on a Select Choice) so I called back and spoke to another rep. He did add 6G per my request from today till end of cycle on the 13th of NOV.  I will be keeping the 849 number dormant until next year's visit.

The first rep also told me I had unlimited data on MY select choice account. I have 3G with data accrual. Now I just want to make sure the data was added to 719-649-****. She should also be listed as an administrator on the Nexus account. I don't need any mixups as she will have to check on rental car and other things on landing.

I have 3 lines I ported in over 10 years ago from Verizon. The lines were not in sequential order when I got them.

• drnewcomb2

I'm just a customer, like you, and can't do anything about your account. I can just tell you that T-Mobile is pretty secretive about the "Select Choice" plans, which were offered to long-term customers to replace ancient plans that were being discontinued. I have a "Select Choice" unlimited plan.  If the phone is a XT1687 it will work well in the US but will be missing some bands used in Europe. This should not be as big an issue as trying to use the XT1685 in the US.

1 of 1 people found this helpful
                • tmo_marissa

Hey, weezyrider! I trust drnewcomb2's tech spec sleuthing abilities far above and beyond my own, so if he's advised that the model you're looking at should work well for your kiddo during this upcoming visit, then that's awesome!
                  Regarding your account, there were quite a few versions of Select Choice plans as they were created initially to offer same/better services for customers on grandfathered plans at "grandfathered" prices in order to simplify our roster of rate plans and lighten the load on our billing system. Each version has a variety of different options for data plans (some are rather limited, if I remember correctly), so this is something we'd want a team with account access to take a look at. Since the Support Community is a public user forum, we're not able to pull these details up and look ourselves. If you'd prefer to interact online and you've got a Twitter or Facebook account, our T-Force team through those social media channels have the ability to pull the account up securely and look at the existing and future-dated data plans on your lines! I totally get wanting to make sure your daughter's plan is all set, and that there have been no changes to your line -- we want you to have that peace of mind, too.

- Marissa