Do you have any mp3s in your S5?

dc5fan

I have an unlocked AT&T S5. There are a little over 1400 mp3 files in the card, not in the device. Before June of this year I was using an S3 (VM) with the same amount of files. Since this was a CDMA phone I used it to play my music on a Bose radio and both of my vehicles using an FM transmitter. In June I bought this S5. Used the same microSD card from the S3, and it started acting a little funny. Replaced the card with a Samsung EVO+ 64G . There is a file number, 3FE4-9958, that wasn't there on the S3. I did a search for the file, and there was nothing. I am using Powereamp. When I add more files they start out fine, but after 3 seconds or so they speed up like a bat out of heck! Has anyone had this happen to them? Could the Marshmallow upgrade caused this? Thanks for reading.

All replies

• snn555

Re: Do you have any mp3s in your S5?

If the songs play correctly with the stock music app or any other app then Poweramp may be at fault. I used it previously on versions of Android past and once in awhile I would find a hiccough such as speed tone pitch or limited play time for some songs. As far as the file that is on there that you cannot identify I have no answer for that.  It's possible that perhaps while transferring songs to and from a computer to the phone's card that another file perhaps a document or settings file may have found its way into that folder or selection and was copied over by accident. If your phone will not open the file you may perhaps try to open it on your computer as there may be a program built for that file. As far as the SD card goes it may need to be reformatted and start fresh.

1 of 1 people found this helpful
          • dc5fan

snn55: Thanks for reading my post. I was hoping someone may have had the same problem. The stock player for galaxy is SoundAlive. I had that in the S3. All the files played perfectly in the S3 and S5. I am thinking that the Samsung SD card may be the culprit. I don't want to mess with it too much. Most of these files were done over 15 years ago. I tried!

• dc5fan

snn55: Even the stock player, SoundAlive, had problems playing newly added files. I reached out to Samsung. I was told that the stock app was a 3rd party, and I would have to get with them. Guess what? I could not find any info who made SoundAlive. I have an audio file that was added when I switched SD cards. Thanks .

• dc5fan

Marissa: The stock player in Samsung is called SoundAlive. I believe the file,3FE4-9958, may be the problem. When these files were first in the S3 i had no problems. I have done a search for this file, and can nothing about it.

• tmo_marissa

Howdy! I just wanted to check in here and see how things were going. To be totally up front, this scenario is a little out of my wheelhouse, but I'm hoping that snn555's suggestions did the trick. Were you able to figure out what this errant file is by playing it on a computer? Did you try reformatting the SD card or did you spring for a new one? I know you'd want to move content around to do either, it sounds like that host of MP3s was a labor of love and we wouldn't want you to lose that, so I can understand if this isn't something you've gotten to just yet, but just wanted to check in!

- Marissa

• dc5fan

Marissa: I learned this morning that the Samsung microSD card is a counterfeit card. I called Samsung this morning, and the rep asked me to look at the backside and tell me where the card was made. It was in TAIWAN! He said Samsung only makes cards in Korea and another country, he may have said Japan. So the card was the problem. I reported this to PayPal, but due to the time past 180 days I am SOL. No more ebay for SD cards.

• tmo_marissa

Whoa! That's crazy! I didn't even know that existed. I'm sorry you bumped into that issue, but thanks for letting us know. It stinks that you can't get a refund! I always get my SD cards from a certain red-labeled big box store, because honestly, that's where we get most of anything that isn't groceries (two kids under 5 mean a lot of time spent strolling the diaper aisle and buying the next shoe size up as affordably as possible).

Do you have a new one already, or are you planning on trying again from another retailer?

- Marissa

• dc5fan

As far as a refund goes I may have a chance. I took a look at the seller's negative feedback, and it appears he has sold a couple more of those cards. When I discussed this with an ebay rep if the seller has any money in his account that might help me. Right now I am working with PayPal. I have never had anything like this regarding these cards. Right now I am looking at several places getting another 64 GB card. I still have about 20 GB on the card that's in the S5. All I can say is there is now files I haven't heard for a couple of years. In my original post (top) I no longer see that file extension "3FE4-9958".

Speaking of your "crumb snatchers" (grandfather-talk) how are they doing on TEMPER TANTRUMS? When my 2 were at that age my son would throw himself on the store floor, and scream bloody murder. His mom and I would just walk away, and I would sneak a peak to see what he would do. He would stop crying, and look around then act like nothing happened. I am also a great-grandfather of seven. Those 2 granddaughters sure have been busy.

• tmo_marissa

Well, it's cool that the mystery file is mysteriously missing! I'm not a professional tongue-twister creator, but I think that was good enough for a Wednesday afternoon.

Whoa, that's an *amazing* legacy you're building! I bet your family gatherings are awesome!

Luckily, my oldest is almost out of the tantrum phase (but I respond with empathy first, and then if that doesn't work I do tend to walk away just a bit -- he does almost exactly what you describe -- brushes himself off and catches right up), and my youngest is still in the stage where he sits in the buggy and just waves and says hi to everybody. The three year age split has been friendly in that regard -- at least they don't go through the same rough phase at the same time!

• snn555

It should be noted that the stock music player on that Samsung phone is called Samsung Music. Sound Alive was an audio processing feature like Equalization and sound effects.

1 of 1 people found this helpful
                            • tmo_marissa

dc5fan, did you see this update from snn555? I looked for some more details about SoundAlive after that caveat and did find this link about it, from Samsung's newsroom: Samsung Global Newsroom – All the latest news, key facts and inspiring stories about Samsung Electronics. I wonder if there's a tweaked setting in there that's mucking things up -- if you hunt around, do you see a default settings option you could enable to revert back and sort of start over to test that out?
                              Regarding the file, when you go into your settings for the SD card, do you have an option to delete this file? Or are you thinking that maybe the best course of action is to open it up on a laptop or desktop first and see what it is, in case it's something important?

• dc5fan

A year or so ago I contacted Samsung about SoundAlive. I was told that SA was a third party. If I was having a problem that I would have to go to the people who made it. I tried to find the company, but came up empty in the search. It is a good player.

• dc5fan

I am afraid to mess with any settings. One mistake and I could lose all the files. I do have Smart Switch from Samsung, and every so often I do back up my files in the S5. I still have Roxio Music Lab 10 that is 8 years old. That's what I used to take all those CDs and transfer them to mp3s. I am not up to date on all the lingo.

• tmo_marissa

I totally understand, I wouldn't want to lose the files either. If this is the number one concern for you, then I think some other options you could try would be testing out different mp3 player apps, maybe even just Google Play Music to start with something basic, and see if the songs do the same funny speed jump after the first few seconds. If they're still wonky with a different app, then I'd try a fresh install from your original files wherever they're hosted, like your computer or laptop, onto a new SD card, to see if somehow the files themselves got funny during the last transfer.

- Marissa

PS -- lingo changes too fast for all of us, don't worry!

• dc5fan

Marissa: Two days ago I almost had my problem solved. I decided to format the Samsung card and tried to move the mp3s from the original card to the phone. There were over 7 GB of mp3s, but only 2 GB were on the phone. I formatted the Samsung card again, then placed the San Disk card into my S5. Before I did this I did uninstall the Poweramp app, and stayed with SoundAlive app. The S5 accepted all the files. I will use the Samsung Smart Switch for a back up. I have a feeling that the Samsung EVO+ 64G card is the problem. Just wanted to update   Thanks

• dc5fan

Now that my problem has been resolved I am asking for suggestions as to what microSD card to buy. I asking from members who are using the S5. In my case it is an S5 AT&T unlocked. If you are using a 64GB card I would appreciate suggestions.

• tmo_marissa

Hey, dc5fan, I know you'd posted on another thread that you were done with the question and looking into new phones, and I'm guessing that was intended to go here as a close-out on this thread. I'm going to mark a correct answer to settle the thread, but if you were referring to something else, then please come back and let us know! Thank you!