Music

purple102612

Looking for new music ... not top 40 or mainstream ... I LOVE LOVE LOVE Tom Waits so any suggestions on similar stuff?

All replies

• snn555

Re: Music

Nick Cave and the Bad Seeds.

• tmo_lauren

Oh man, I have a lifelong love obsession with Mr. Waits, Gun Street Girl is one of my favorite songs of all time. <3

I always have a really hard time making suggestions for Tom Waits-esque artists because I sort of feel like he is on his own for a lot. I am going to give you a few I feel like definitely have Tom influences, and then a random spattering of whatever else I have been listening to lately even if it's totally different. I totally don't expect you to like all of it, maybe any of it, but worth a shot!

M. Ward you can absolutely tell has been influenced by Waits and I love listening to him. Don't expect the gritty vocals, but you'll see the influence for sure. M. Ward on Spotify

Les Claypool, but I will assume if you have already found Tom you know Les, I just couldn't make a suggestion list without. Les Claypool on Spotify

Nick Cave and the Bad Seeds. They're actually not my favorite, but I know a lot of Tom fans that swear by them! Nick Cave & The Bad Seeds on Spotify

It's 5 or so years old, but Hawk with Isobel Campbel is really good- Hawk by Isobel Campbell on Spotify . Stuart Staples/Tindersticks can be really interesting. Tindersticks on Spotify

Mark Lanegan is really good! I can't find myself able to sit through a whole album, but really good and definitely in the same vein. Mark Lanegan on Spotify

Other stuff that's not really Tom Waitsy, but newer and off the beaten path a bit. Noam Pikelney, he does a bunch of cool banjo-y stuff, I really like banjo, I don't know why. Noam Pikelny on Spotify

The Avett Brothers, wildly depressing hipster acoustic folk that I like but don't necessarily want to like. The Avett Brothers on Spotify

Imogen Heap/Frou Frou. She hasn't done anything in ages, but it's still a regular on my rotating playlists. Imogen Heap on Spotify

Beirut, just one of my favorites overall. Wouldn't be surprised if they had Waits influence, but definitely not what you'd think of immediately. Beirut on Spotify

Porcupine Tree/Steven Wilson. Super prog rocky, which, while totally up my alley, not for everyone. Porcupine Tree on Spotify

Ghost. Definitely not the most family friendly or light hearted, but really good either way if you are into darker and heavier stuff. Ghost B.C. on Spotify

Woodkid is just sort of its own thing again, but I really like it. Sort of dramatic and good change of pace. https://open.spotify.com/artist/44TGR1CzjKBxSHsSEy7bi9

Woodkid on Spotify

Mutemath I am just adding because I can. They've been one of my favorites forever. Mutemath on Spotify

Anyway! Like I said, I don't expect you to like all or any of it, but it will at least help you kill some time, possibly debating how bad my music taste is.

• purple102612

@tmo_lauren ... my goodness what a list!! I will most definitely be

spending some time this weekend listening! Thank you for all the

suggestions!

Right now I'm all about San Diego Serenade and Call Me Baby ❤❤ I could

listen to that voice 24/7

• tmo_lauren

Ha!

I am definitely an audiophile, no genre is really off limits for me.

I hope you find something you like on the list, and if you have any suggestions I am always looking for new stuff.

-Lauren

• tmo_marissa

I love Tom Waits.
                First, not a music recommendation, but just Waits fan to Waits fan -- if you haven't, you should watch the movie Down By Law. It's amazing and Tom Waits is fantastic in it.

Seconded all the Nick Cave recs -- if you're looking for somewhere to start, the Murder Ballads record might be a good place. It's creepy, but then so is Tom Waits at times, so hopefully it's still floating somewhere in the same weird river.

If any part of the bizarre big band/world instrument aspect of Tom Waits stuff is cool to you, you might enjoy The Decemberists or Andrew Bird (or his early band Andrew Bird's Bowl of Fire). Neither of the voices in these bands are particularly Waits-ian, but they're still really unique in their own right, and again I feel like they're just little currents in that same river.

I will probably think of more and then have to come back here, but I couldn't leave this thread untouched!

- Marissa

• snn555

I found Tom Waits by accident.

I was looki for Alice in Wonderland reference songs.

Found him and The Sisters of Mercy by doing so. Both have songs named "Alice."

• tmo_marissa

OMG Sisters of Mercy, whoa.
                      Unrelated, or probably better served for another thread, but every time I read that band name, something about the name itself makes me think of the Innocence Mission, which is hilarious because they could not be MORE different.

• snn555

I got into SOM late in the game. Smiths Cure Bauhaus Souixie Sioux and the Banshees. Depeche mode. But now I'm off topic course so.......

• tmo_lauren

Oh man, now I wanna go listen to the Smiths. D:

I should probably go ahead and start curating my "get through iPhone" playlist

• snn555

While the GF uses my iphone 7+ cause hers is broken I've been using a $225 LG Stylo 3+ and not sure I want to go back to my $750 Apple. I have all my music on my card vs having to use Google Play Music in the cloud on the iphone.

• tmo_lauren

The Stylo is weirdly popular and always well reviewed, I read a whole article filled with a Stylo love fest happening in the comments. I'm glad it's treating you well!

I busted my Galaxy and started using a Blackberry Priv, I feel like I am one of 12 people using it and I really like it. D: Sadly, nobody ever has any Priv questions out here for me to jump on

• snn555

I remember die-hard BB users in VZW clamoring for it. BB has one or 2 more on the way. Like MS Windows phone.....that ship has sailed I think.

• snn555

Also:

If the LG S3+ had 1 more GB RAM, or a slightly less-than-budget CPU/GPU, it would be pretty stellar for $250 even.  It is the best mid-range smartphone T-Mo has right now....the J7 Prime 2017 is close, but lacks so many features at $ more $.

In fact, LG could have left a few features out software-wise to make it a hair bit faster.  Occasional page reloads are my only issue.  And, Angry Birds 2 will stutter sometimes...right as I'm dropping a Matilda egg bomb...but that's neither here nor there.

Sidenote:

I haven't found a phone yet that responds quickly to any T-Mobile domain webpage.  To include the My T-Mobile app.  And that includes my iP7+.

• vintagek1337

Anything but rock and roll + country.

Can't stand them !

• snn555

Well you’re in luck. Rap and re-cover- every-song-ever-made R&B are the only 2 genres left that have awards shows and seem to be all the rage with the kiddies and millennials now.

• magenta3647813

kottmouth kings