Jump On Demand Pricing for iPhone X

magenta2273276

So I've been patiently waiting to find out what the JOD pricing is going to be for the iPhone X.  I have been told as recently as this morning that there is no pricing set yet... which is odd, quite frankly, considering the presale begins in 1.5 weeks and the overall price of the device has been public knowledge for over a month.  One thing that I found particularly puzzling is that a customer service rep told me today that T-Mobile is waiting ON APPLE to tell THEM what the JOD pricing is going to be.  I had no idea that the manufacturer was setting the carrier's leasing deals.  Perhaps I'm mistaken, but it sounds weird.  Who knows.

In any case, I really want to know how much this device is going to cost before I decide if I'm going to Jump to it... and considering the limited availability, I don't want to wait until after the presale opens before I find out what that pricing is going to be.  So when exactly is there going to be a price?!?

All replies

• bpmch02

Re: Jump On Demand Pricing for iPhone X

Totally agree!

• tidbits

The Note 8 pricing is $39 a month.  Looking at how the X cost more we are looking at either a down payment or about $40-42 a month.

• magenta2273276

The down payment is what I'm most concerned about.  To me, once large down payments are introduced (like this probably be will next August), the JOD program is pointless.  It's foolish to say that you can jump every 30 days but you need to plop down large sunk costs up front, and I think that the down payment requirement will effectively kill off the program (which might be exactly what T-Mo is hoping will happen).

That being said, the iPhone X might be the last of the iPhones that can be had on the program without a down payment... assuming that they chose to set it up that way.  Traditionally, they have set "base model" phones without a down payment, as this is what the original promotion of JOD was based on -- no money out of pocket.  They have, however, tried to shoehorn in down payments by saying that something like the Galaxy S8+ is an upgraded S8 in the same way that a 128gb iPhone is an upgraded 32gb iPhone... kind of a stretch, but whatever.  The question is... is an iPhone X, which is totally and completely different in form factor, feature set, screen hardware, etc. going to fit their very loose definition of "upgraded version" of the iPhone 8 simply because it has the word "iPhone" in the name?  I would hope not, but until I hear from them directly on the pricing, there is no way to know for sure.

The fact that one of their CS reps flat out told me that T-Mobile is waiting on Apple to tell them what the JOD pricing is going to be leads me to believe that the people manning the phones / online chat / social media are pretty clueless.  Either that, or I'm totally underestimating exactly what kind of control Apple has over carriers' respective programs.

1 of 1 people found this helpful
                • tidbits

Apple has almost complete control on any of their products down to product placements in stores.  It's one of the carriers pet peeves, but to not have the iPhone on their network is troublesome.  Remember Verizon said they didn't need the iPhone on their network and 1 year later they started selling the iPhone? Verizon is one of those companies that are control happy.

• magenta2273276

Understood.  However, it seems odd to me that Apple would be dictating lease terms (down payment and/or monthly payment) as long as the MAP is adhered to.  Either way, I would hope that T-Mo and / or Apple or whomever would get their act together to set pricing long before the presale begins considering the MSRP has been public knowledge for over a month now.

• tidbits

Right now it'll be zero down my bet, and it'll be $42-43 a month.  Starting next year is when T-Mobile will change their policy on JoD to start having down payments.  Everyone asked the same questions when the Note 8 was about to be released.

• magenta2273276

That's kind of what I'm thinking.  If they didn't put a down payment on the iPhone 8 Plus or the Note 8, I'm thinking that it will be hard for them to justify putting a down payment on the X considering the whole "no money out of pocket" angle the JOD program was pushed with initially. 

Depending on what happens next August, if I do end up with an iPhone X, I quite possibly might just keep it and withdraw myself from the JOD program... or do so with the first phone on which I have to pay a down payment.  If T-Mo tries to cram in a down payment on this phone, I'll keep my Note 8 for a while.  The JOD program has been fun while it lasted, but it's clearly effectively coming to an end with the introduction of all these down payments.  Honestly, I never thought it was financially sustainable long term so I'm not surprised.

• tidbits

Especially with them moving from 3 times a year to 12 times a year and people took advantage of it I can see if being less sustainable.  I think this year is the final year of no down payments for certain models of  phones.

I assume it'll be exactly the same as regular EIP pricing, but with the option after 18 months to buy or return the phone.

• magenta2273276

yes, me too.  I think the 12 times per year thing was a way for them to give a little after taking a lot (by adding down payments) since they were announced concurrently.  Once you add down payments, you can make it possible to jump every week, and it compensates the company for the depreciation that hits a phone, even in like new condition.

In any case, if you or anyone else finds out what the JOD terms will be for the X, post it up.  Thanks.

• lychae

Honestly hoping there is no down pmt but considering I had to pay one on the release of 7+ in jet black (128gb, no lower storage option available at the time) I wouldn't be surprised if there was a down on this one..

• alkap80

I spoke with a rep two days ago. I told her I'm on JOD and would like to upgrade from the note8 to iPhone x on the 27th.

She said there's still no info on whether there will be a down payment on that phone because now on whoever is on JOD and wants to upgrade to the NOTE 8, will have to pay a large down ayment of around 200. Those people who got the note8 earlier, were lucky not to pay any down payment. So its either a large down payment, small down payment or no down payment for the iPhone x.

• alkap80

Just came across the following article regarding the screen of iPhone x. Content from Apps and websites will be viewed about the same size as in iPhone 6/7/8. Which means less viewable content than the plus. Here' the article: What if the iPhone 8 Plus is better than the iPhone X? - The Verge 

What are your thoughts?

• magenta2273276

Personally, my feelings are that the "notch" is not exactly optimal and is a cheesy way for Apple to claim a higher screen to body ratio while not really providing that much usable space.  That being said, app makers will start to find ways around the notch and will adapt to it -- as will the users.  I would be shocked if Apple doesn't release a "plus" size iPhone X type phone next year (who knows what the phones will be named by that point).  The iPhone X is going to sell in big numbers just because it's the latest-and-greatest from Apple.  It doesn't *actually* matter if it's "better" per se.  The reality is that I certainly hope that the X is better than the 8 Plus since the latter is only marginally better than the 7 Plus.  This is the reason why I'm irritated at T-Mo because they don't have pricing out yet... but I'm not losing sleep over it, because I currently have a Note 8 so it's not like I'm exactly slumming it in the phone department... if I don't end up with an X, it's certainly not the end of the world for me.

• alkap80

Any update on JOD Pricing?

Also, does tmobile have enough stock of iPhone x?

I heard there's only 2-3 million worldwide for launch.

• tmo_marissa

Just wanted to pop in here and say we still don't have official JOD pricing, or news to share regarding stock projections or shipping timelines -- the JOD pricing should come closer to pre-order, and the shipping timelines closer to launch. We'll be answering questions here with information as we get it: Official Apple iPhone X Pre-Order & Discussion Thread.

• magenta2273276

Thanks for the update.  I'm not sure what "closer to pre-order" means since it's only about 100 hours before the pre-order opens up.  Quite frankly, and I hope you can understand where I'm coming from, this is ridiculous.

And no one on the T-Mobile end can get their stories straight... I literally was just told by a T-Mo customer service rep this afternoon that the iPhone X will NOT be available as a JOD phone at pre-order launch and if I wanted the phone (his direct quote follows)... "You will have to preorder it under regular installment for 24 months.  JOD for iPhone X is not yet available.  I'm sorry about that..."

Seriously?  So far, I've been told that (1) T-Mo hasn't set the price yet, (2) T-Mo is waiting on Apple to set the JOD price, (3) the iPhone X won't even be offered as JOD AT ALL during preorder, (4) it will probably have a down payment, and (5) it will probably not have a down payment.  Can you folks understand how frustrating this all is?  Someone needs to set the price and push it out so people can make an educated decision.  Buying / leasing a $1000+ piece of electronics is NOT some fly-by-night decision for people.  It's absolutely ridiculous that you can't get pricing published when the preorder window opens in just several days from now.

And, if last year's preorder fiasco was any indication, I'm not holding out high hopes that the process is going to go even close to smoothly when I DO call in for the preorder.  I am literally DREADING it.  Not to be a jerk, but it's a good thing that T-Mo's pricing is cheap because the customer service is seriously lacking.  If it wasn't for the price, I would have left a long time ago.  I don't think I've been able to do a single thing to my account within the past 3 years without having some major screwup that involved LOTS of time spent in the local store to try to figure out.  And promises get made that never get followed up on until I have to call and harass someone myself.  I'm seriously frustrated beyond belief.  Considering I pay T-Mo over $3000/year, I would hope for some better service.

*sigh*  I really was hoping it wouldn't get to this and I've been trying to be patient, but I'm pretty much at my limit at this point.

• magenta2982623

JOD price for iPhone X is out: https://www.tmonews.com/2017/10/t-mobile-iphone-x-pricing-trade-in-offer/

Equipment Installment Plan

• 64GB: $279.99 down, $30 per month (FRP: $999.99)
                                        • 256GB: $429.99 down, $30 per month (FRP: $1,149.99)

JUMP! On Demand

• 64GB: $0 down, $41.56 per month (FRP: $999.99)
                                        • 256GB: $429.99 down, $24 per month (FRP: $1,149.99)
                                        1 of 1 people found this helpful
                                        • tmo_marissa

Hey folks!

I wanted to update with JUMP! On Demand pricing -- I know you've all been patiently waiting and I can appreciate the frustration that the wait has caused for some. This information was released last night after we left, so sorry for the delay! Thanks to magenta2982623 for the link, but there are two scenarios for the 64 GB device for well-qualified customers, and one pricing scenario for well-qualified customers purchasing the 256 GB device. Here are the possibilities:

The iPhone X 64 GB will be $0 down with 18 monthly payments of $41.56 for some well-qualified customers or $279.99 down with 18 monthly payments of $26.00 for other well-qualified customers. The residual in either case will be $252.00.
                                          The iPhone X 256 GB will be $429.99 down with 18 monthly payments of $24.00 and a residual of $288.00.

The variable pricing for the 64 GB device is new, and depends on the individual account. With superphones increasing in retail price, it's possible that the new price point on some of these devices will require a higher out of pocket than before for less expensive equipment, but provide a lower monthly installment cost.

bornitz, your understanding of taxes on JOD is totally correct. You'd pay taxes on the down payment only up front, and the monthly installment would be taxed on your bill.

At this point we're going to direct any future discussions about the X to our Official Apple iPhone X Pre-Order & Discussion Thread so that we can keep traffic in one place and get to any questions that need a TMO answer as quickly as possible. Thanks again for your patience, y;all -- I know it hasn't been easy to wait for these details!