Radio station chip

allenenriquez1985

I am hoping that tmo buys more phones that have radio    built in phones especially the new iwatches series 3 Nike +! I would have loved it since where I want to go is remote and no internet or call services is at I want to be able to take advantage of it especially since these fires in California has been happening we need ready alerts in case of fires, and earthquakes, tornadoes warning! Of course their is head phones with fm radio that would be a solution if Tmobile carried FM headphones    or/and that are  Bluetooth. I know I can by them else where I jus like the  convenience of one stop shop. Plus I don’t want to wait for Amazon or Walmart to ship it to me. for these reason i think it would be a great idea for Tmobile to carry more FM chip smart devices.

All replies

• tidbits

Re: Radio station chip

Almost all phones since the S7 have FM radios unless the manufacturer removed it themselves.  For example the Motorola Z2 Force could have had it, but since they removed the headphone jack it doesn't have one.  Someone could make a MotoMod to add one.

1 of 1 people found this helpful
          • allenenriquez1985

So looks like Samsung 7 or moto z Force would be my option down the road. However I don’t like the Samsung watch OS Tizen it’s too laggy and not enough apps, and convenience of an iwatch series 3.

• tidbits

allenenriquez1985 wrote:

So looks like Samsung 7 or moto z Force would be my option down the road. However I don’t like the Samsung watch OS Tizen it’s too laggy and not enough apps, and convenience of an iwatch series 3.

Z Force has no FM radio in it as there is no audio jack to make an antenna.  Someone may end up making a mod for it possibly but don't count on it.

• drnewcomb2

The FM radio function is often disabled in the carriers' custom firmware. Sometimes the unflagged version of a phone has the FM but the carrier branded doesn't.

• tidbits

drnewcomb2 wrote:

The FM radio function is often disabled in the carriers' custom firmware. Sometimes the unflagged version of a phone has the FM but the carrier branded doesn't.

There is a licensing fee which manufacturers would rather not pay if they can get their carriers to pay.  In other countries this is so frowned upon and manufacturers need to separate themselves as much as they can will throw it in.  In the states making carriers pay for options is allowed.  AT&T and T-Mobile are starting to pay for those options.  Samsung, LG, HTC, and Sony admitted it a handful of times the past 9 years, but often as under the breath and hoped no one noticed.

• theartiszan

Just don't expect to get it on the iPhones. Apple doesn't even have the hardware in them.

• allenenriquez1985

Mm so far it seems Tmobile would maybe able to work with the customer then to do it as an add on  license agreement or other words leasing it out to us to use it hmm int idea I just got it some how T-Mobile and Apple work together to have the FM chip and make money off of it it they may not lose money but then again I would only pay like 5 bucks tops a month for this radio    FM ad on  convenience .i think I’ll put this as a suggestion to  discussion forums  to see how many of us still use FM and how many would be willing to pay or have sponsors pay for the cost or something.

• tidbits

If you carry around Bluetooth devices.  Sony makes a series and you can get previous generations for under $50 that has FM built in.  Also a waterproof hand crank unit = Best option and every place that is considered a "dangerous" area for EQ, Tornados, Tsunami, and such should always be stocked up.