LG G3 mid 2017 software update

magenta2387667

Hello all, anyone update their G3 recently to the latest in mid 2017? Any issues with the new update?  I have a G3 that works great, but, once in a while it will give me some kind of a "multi-media message download error".  This is a group text receiving issue/error.  Intermittent random error when getting group texts. Support has told me to download the new update.  But I have had issues in the past with other LG phones after updating, running very slow, not working like before the update etc.  So I am very hesitant to update this phone just for this one issue. Thoughts?

All replies

• tmo_lauren

Re: LG G3 mid 2017 software update

You're totally not wrong in weighing the benefits of an update! Newer updates on older devices can add a lot of fixes and functionality, but they can also come with some slowness as the software passes the hardware.

I can't speak to the G3 update as I don't use one, but I can say I haven't seen any complaints of slowness round' these parts.

Have you tried clearing your messages or lowering the total number to see if that resolves your download errors?

-Lauren

• magenta2387667

I just lowered my # of texts stored from 45/60 to 30/30. Got the same issue again today.

Have not tried clearing messages, you mean deleting all messages right?

fyi I am still on the pre marshmellow software, and mm update is where some of the issues I see online are coming from.

Thx.

• tmo_lauren

I do mean deleting, yes.

Is that the number of threads and conversations you have going, or the total number of texts you have on the phone?

Are you using the stock SMS app, or a third party one?

Thanks!

-Lauren

• magenta2387667

I have the text limit per conversation and mms set at 30 /30, before they were set higher.

I have probably 20 threads currently.

OEM messaging app.

Software D85120g, Android version 5.0.1

I constantly clear the cashe.  Don't really want to delete all the messages, no real good reason why...

• tmo_lauren

Gotcha! The message limit isn't something I see people use often so it didn't even dawn on me that's what you were meaning. Smart way to keep your messages down!

The number one reason we typically see SMS/MMS receiving errors is when it's a memory issue, which while you have 600ish threads and could POSSIBLY be the issue, you don't have an astronomical number in there so I wouldn't put money on that guess.

Unfortunately I don't have a ton of suggestions at this point beyond trying a master reset, a mass text delete, or trying the update.

We're unfortunately at the just have to throw some stuff at the wall and see what sticks phase, and you definitely seem like you are technically inclined and able to make the choice from the listed options or any other ideas you have that is best for you, but we're probably gonna have to start with one and see where it goes.

-Lauren

• magenta2387667

So I deleted all my texts today, and so far no errors on the same group messages that I had been getting daily for 4-5 days.  So that's good.  Will see how it acts in a few days.

One step at a time I guess.

1 of 1 people found this helpful
                              • tmo_lauren

Awesome! Keep me updated!

I'll be gone for the weekend, but I'll be back Monday in case you have any updates!

Fingers crossed for you. Have a wonderful weekend!

-Lauren

• tmo_marissa

Hiya, magenta2387667! Lauren will be back online tomorrow, but in the meantime I wanted to see how the rest of the weekend's been treating you. How are things going with your G3?

- Marissa

• magenta2387667

Ok, so the weekend went well, then today same problems.

And next my options are....full reset, or update software, or just live with it, or get a G6.

So let's take about the cons of the 1st 2 options.

1.    Cons of a full reset, not many if I can back up my pics and contacts, correct?  but does this ever help?

2.    Cons of a software update, possible battery life, boot loop and slow functioning issues.  (current software is Software D85120g, Android version 5.0.1, so again I am still not on marshmellow)

This is the update that I would eventually get to and very curious on why LG is still updating this phone, maybe because there are a lot of them out there?  Three years after release, T-Mobile updates the LG G3 with bug fixes and newer security patches

Thanks again...

• tmo_marissa

I'm sorry to read that the message errors cropped back up! I don't have any insight into why LG is still updating the device, but honestly, I'm glad that they are! It makes me wish I still had my G3.
                                          Full resets help in situations where a third party app has tweaked back-end settings or interfered with the OS to cause mayhem. They don't help when the issue is related to the software itself -- that's when you'd have to turn to the update in hopes for a resolution, and why we typically recommend completing a master reset before exchanging equipment. Ultimately, this is your call and I know things would just be better if the darn error messages would stop without either of these steps! :/ If I could predict which step would fix this for you with certainty, I would definitely let you know.

FWIW, if it were me, I'd start with the reset and operating in safe mode afterwards.

Please keep us posted!

- Marissa

• tmo_marissa

Howdy! Just wanted to see if you'd decided to go forward with a reset or bravely foray into update territory. How are things going?

- Marissa