Pixel 2 WiFi Calling

hitchens97

Searching through these forums it seems that a lot of people had a problem getting wifi calling to work on a Pixel. This is a deal breaker for me, since I have bad coverage at home on cell signal.

Anybody know if this is different for the Pixel 2?

All replies

• tidbits

Re: Pixel 2 WiFi Calling

hitchens97 wrote:

Searching through these forums it seems that a lot of people had a problem getting wifi calling to work on a Pixel. This is a deal breaker for me, since I have bad coverage at home on cell signal.

Anybody know if this is different for the Pixel 2?

Wifi calling worked for a lot of people on the Pixel.  There are reports it didn't work for some people and it was a problem with Google which they didn't make it a high priority as the numbers that have been sold to the number of people that had the problem was less than people assumed.  The reason why it seemed like a lot of people was because often these people are vocal, and will post in various locations so it bolstered the look of numbers.

No one knows as it depends on router, speed, and topography.

1 of 1 people found this helpful
          • hitchens97

Thank you, Tidbits. Sometimes the problems don't represent the majority. Glad to know it worked for some people.

• tidbits

Yah often it doesn't.  If it does then there would be a much bigger response.  It's like 1M phones sold and only 10,000 people complain a single thing vs. 100,000 people a manufacturer would respond to the 100,000.  The 10,000 people can make it sound like 100,000 people, but Google with the data they collect(you can opt out in during setup) they know the numbers.  Sometimes it's not the device itself but the router.  My home router WiFi calling works with my new one, but only 3/4 of my devices works with the old one.

• tmo_chris

Hey hitchens97,

With the device not being sold by T-Mobile, it will not support T-Mobile Wi-Fi calling. While it may have the ability to Wi-Fi call, we have not tested them for compatibility.

• vagabondking

Well, if you want the facts don't read Fake Answers (Guesses are not always correct answers!)

Pixel 2 is a part of Project FI.

TMobile is a Project Fi network.

I have not one, but TWO Pixel 2's that do WiFi Calling on Tmo without a problem. It not only works, it shows TMobile WiFi Calling in the status bar!!!!

• magenta3138157

Got my pixel 2xl today, and so far after couple hours of testing, WiFi calling works on my device. However, while I didn't have any issues with incoming or outgoing calls, I noticed a glitch with receiving text messages. I could send texts, but not receive. As of now, the problem with receiving texts seems to be resolved on it's own. Just my observations after a couple of hours of using WiFi calling.

• carsonlake

My Pixel 2 won't stay connected to WiFi calling. WiFi signal is solid, and when it will stay connected it works well, but it will often just drop the wifi calling indicator and I'll have to toggle wifi to get it back. Checked router settings, have phone set to wifi preferred, nothing helps so far.

• qclown

I bought a Pixel 2 XL last month and it runs fine on T-Mobile with Wi-Fi Calling.  It is not turned on by default but if you search settings you can turn it on and it is quite stable, at least for me.  I have had no problems with any T-Mobile services.

• magenta4321877

I have pixel 2 and it worked initially when I put the mobile sim.then I put Sprint sim for few months and put back t mobile sim again after few months. It stopped working.it won't use wifi calling at all even though setting was correct.

I applied all solution given on forums but didn't work. Finally I found a way it will start working again.

1. Put your pixel 2 in airplane mode

2. Turn on wifi only and connect to your home wifi.

3. Make a call to someone.

4. The call will fail initially but keep doing it for 5 mins.

5. Pull down top bar and you should see t mobile wifi calling and call will be successful.

6. Turn off airplane mode.

7. Done.

• 26kick

Hi Magenta4321877, I tried this and it didn't work for me.  HOW would something like this work?

I've come from Project Fi and wifi calling worked perfectly in airplane mode.  What is happening and why is it different with T mobile?

Thanks!

• magenta4321877

I wud say reset you network first at settings->system->reset options->reset wifi, mobile and Bluetooth.

Then turn on airplane mode and turn on wifi like below. And make a call to someone. It works for me.  Then turn back the airplane mode off. Which

t mobile plan you have? Does your plan have free wifi calling. Some plans specially prepaid ones dont have wifi calling i guess.Screenshot_20180309-231727.pngScreenshot_20180309-232049.png

• magenta4321877

Also it matters which wifi are you connected.. my office has two wifi. For one they blocked voip so I can't talk to anyone on that but the other one is not. So I would say to test it first at home.

• 26kick

Hi, I have the T Mobile One Unlimited 55 plan and a Pixel 2 XL on my home wifi.  Do you have the XL?  I reset my network as you suggested.  Had to re-enter my router key which was expected.  When I try to make a call, it says the same thing as before, "turn off airplane mode or connect to a wireless network to make a call."

When I send a text, it says "waiting for connection" next to the message and "No connection" at the top of the Messages app.  Until I turn off airplane mode.

With Project Fi, I think all communications worked while the wifi symbol was on, no matter the other settings.

Should I try connecting a call again for 5 minutes?  I can't understand what that would do.

Thank you!

• magenta4321877

Yes it takes some time. Try after 5 mins. Also make sure the wifi preferred is set in calls setting.  There are two places to set wifi preferred . 1 is in settings and other in calls. The below is calls one.I have pixel 2 not xl version.

Pixel 2 definitely work with t mobile wifi calling. It's some settings is preventing it which was ok for previous carrier. Try different things. I was in same boat like u for a month then this worked for me.u may also contact Google or go-to t mobile store.

Screenshot_20180310-093825.png

• 26kick

Hi. I have it set to Wi-Fi preferred and have tried over 200 call attempts in approximately 8 minutes. It still says radio off, turn off airplane mode or connect to a wireless network to make a call. There must be something else. I've been on with T-Mobile tech support and he says he'll have to escalate it to engineers and I will notmay not hear back for the next 4 days.

Not having Wi-Fi calling is a deal-breaker for me. I need to sort this out. Thank you for your help!

• 26kick

Screenshot_20180310-104905.png

• 26kick

I've started a thread at XDA for help and I've received many positive responses about wifi calling with a Pixel 2 XL on T Mobile.

T Mobile wifi calling not working on Pixel 2… | Google Pixel 2 XL

I feel like there is an advance setting that is amiss in my phone.

I also notice that when I am in airplane mode, with wifi on, I get a "no connection" bar in the android messages app.  To me that indicates that it's not just the dialer app and that it's a more general issue.

My wife's MotoX4, also brand new to T Mobile yesterday, works perfectly with wifi calling.  We are on the same router, same location, and same T Mobile account.  I feel like I'm THIS close to solving the problem.    Any more help would be greatly appreciated!

• 26kick

I went back to the T-Mobile store today and had them reprovision my phone with a new sim card and everything works perfectly.

• gibby_

TLDR: Switched SIM cards between phones having same issue, problem fixed. Long explanation below.

So I found this thread after being frustrated with the exact same problem. I have two Pixel 2s, one is the Verizon branded one, the other is normal. I had them on many networks, Verizon, Cricket, Straight Talk, and finally on T-Mobile. When I ported my numbers into the T-Mobile network, the non-Verizon phone worked with WiFi calling, but not text. The Verizon branded phone did nothing.

In the process of troubleshooting, I reset the network settings on the non-Verizon phone, which promptly stopped it from working as well. Then I found this thread, and realized that neither phone showed the phone number in the sim settings page. After reading about 26kid, I was going to head to the T-Mobile store, which is about an hour away.

As one last test, I swapped the sim cards between the two phones and tried a WiFi call. To my surprise they both worked. I swapped them back and now both work perfectly, to include SMS. This also let me make calls on airplane mode which was a problem before. It seems changing the SIM will make the phone repartition itself.

Anyway hope this helps.

• magenta5725914

A new sim card and a reprovision appeared to have worked to resolve my wifi calling issue too.