Nexus 6p Oreo is nowhere to be seen

murubaba

Has anyone gotten the Oreo update for Nexus 6p on T-Mobile?

The only way I can see to get it right now is through the beta program. I tried the beta for a day but my battery drained in about a few hours as much as it drains in 24 hours so I had to back out of it.

If anyone has gotten it OTA without having to join the beta program then please reply back.

All replies

• tidbits

Re: Nexus 6p Oreo is nowhere to be seen

People have been getting the OTA.  It's not all at once, and it's directly from Google.  T-Mobile has no way to affect how and when people get it.  People were having the same questions about the 5X as well.

If you want you can actually download the update and sideload it, and it will be no different than an OTA update, and actually this way is safer.

If you tried the beta during the beta then it may have problems.  If you did it after 8.0 was released then that's the final version and is not a beta.

1 of 1 people found this helpful
        • dragon1562

I have a 6p and got the update as well. So you should have it by the end of the week.

1 of 1 people found this helpful
            • murubaba

That is good news. Thank you for confirming!

On the Nexus 6P? I checked the Factory Images and OTAs on the Google developers site, and there still isn't one for T-Mobile for the 6P.

• tidbits

There's is no T-Mobile 6P rom.  T-Mobile never sold the phone.

They didn't make the Android 7 OS either, but that got updated.You need a build compatible with the carrier. Basically, Google and T-Mobile are pointing their fingers at each other. I have talked to both. T-Mobile didn't sell my wife her Pixel, it was carrier exclusive to Verizon or unlocked via Google...but that got updated on T-Mo.

• tidbits

2243043384 wrote:

They didn't make the Android 7 OS either, but that got updated.You need a build compatible with the carrier. Basically, Google and T-Mobile are pointing their fingers at each other. I have talked to both. T-Mobile didn't sell my wife her Pixel, it was carrier exclusive to Verizon or unlocked via Google...but that got updated on T-Mo.

The Nexus 6P is all on Google...  T-Mobile does not sell nor support the 6P.  There is no T-Mobile rom and there never will be. Google support has really gone down hill...

• murubaba

Agreed about Google support. I called them today and said that going 2.5 months without a security update is not good because of so many dangerous exploits uncovered recently like the WiFi bug. They gave me the same story that their developers are working on the different versions of the Nexus 6p, they would not elaborate any further on what that meant.

Seems like they have stopped shipments of the Pixel 2 XL although I don't have a way to confirm it exactly. Mine was supposed to ship today and it is still showing as if it will ship in the future. So with no update on the old and no way to get a new phone its a hard place to be stuck at.

Might give the side load method a try if I don't see any action in the next week or two.

• tidbits

download and sideload the August 8.0 update.  As long as it's the OTA files it will not delete user data.

Problem is, this is the OTA from the developers page:

• tidbits

2243043384 wrote:

Problem is, this is the OTA from the developers page:

Notice it also say Fi.  There is no difference between Fi Nexus 6P and the regular 6P from the play store.  If you ever go through the source code.  The only difference could be the radio, BUT People has sideloaded that and had no problem with Fi. Also T-Mobile does not have any control over what happens.  I mean if that's the case why would T-Mobile have a say in the 6P, but not the 5X?  Think about it.

I have thought about it. I even called Google. Like I said, both sides are pointing at each other. Just because there isn't a T-Mo compatible version for this phone doesn't say anything about what happened with the 5X.

• tidbits

There is no fundamental thing that differentiate the two.  The 5X and 6P uses the same radio despite using so if this had to do with T-Mobile the 5X would be in same position especially when they are released at the same time with the exact same features.

There is no T-Mobile version as if there was T-Mobile would be selling it.  Like the Nexus 4, Nexus 5, and Nexus 6.  Even though the Nexus 4, and 5 didn't even have a T-Mobile variant rom. 

This is my take.  Google manufacturer Hueawai or however you spell their company name messed up on radio and band 12 was disabled on the "non T-Mobile version) because it caused problems.  Now Google is trying to fix it if it can be fixed and refuses to tell people that espcially with a lot of the problems they've been having with their own products and the problems they been having with both the 5X and 6P.  You can sideload that one and everything will be fine that's what a lot of Fi users have done and moved on.  I would have by now if I had a 6P but Google CS has gone down hill lately.

• kreeh

Thank you for your post!

Looking online, it would seem like everyone already has gotten the OTA update to Oreo. Now I see they are already talking about 8.1 developers version being released in December and  I am still sitting at 7.1.1 w/Aug Security update.  Signing up for the Beta program allows me to download a pre-release version of 8.0 which I am not really interested in.  It would be nice if Google or T-mobile would provide a notice or some form of information regarding this ...

• murubaba

Keeping fingers crossed...

• eninca

This really reflects poorly on both Tmobile and Google. Hard to understand why the OTA is taking so long. I haven't had a security update in going on 3 months.

• tidbits

eninca wrote:

This really reflects poorly on both Tmobile and Google. Hard to understand why the OTA is taking so long. I haven't had a security update in going on 3 months.

T-mobile has nothing to do with the update.

• eninca

That might be true. I'm getting a different story on google discussion threads. But even if Tmobile is completely blameless, the fact is that if I were on virtually any other carrier, I wouldn't be on a security patch nearly 3 months out of date at this point.

• tidbits

eninca wrote:

That might be true. I'm getting a different story on google discussion threads. But even if Tmobile is completely blameless, the fact is that if I were on virtually any other carrier, I wouldn't be on a security patch nearly 3 months out of date at this point.

If that was true...  Pull out your sim and connect to wifi.  If it updates then it could be T-Mobile, but if it doesn't T-Mobile has nothing to do with it. Also there is no difference between the Fi and the Google Play store 6P I want to add. Googles own reps said this on day 1 when it was released out to the public through Fi, and Play Store just like the 5X.  Just food for thought.

• eninca

That's actually a good idea. I tried it and no go. So it's your belief that Tmobile literally has no role whatsoever in the determination when to push updates? You might be right, but on a Google forum, an admin said:

"It would be interesting to know how many people in this thread are with either project fi or T-Mobile as, apparently, neither provider is sending updates to the 6p currently. This is entirely their own prerogative and when/if they consider their updates are ready they will be pushed out to eligible units."

• tidbits

Fi = Google

Also why would Google from day 1 say they both were the same. Now they are different? Doesn't make sense at all. 

• murubaba

The hardware is the same. Google did not ask for carrier details when buying the phone. However when a SIM is inserted/activated it downloads the PRL and possibly other carrier specific software for that specific carrier in order to provision the phone onto their mobile network. Removing your SIM card past that point will have no effect as the phone still thinks it is for that specific carrier.

People can choose what they want to believe but I think it has something to do with how the radio connects to T-Mobile's network that does not play well with Oreo. If they have sorted out those issues for the 5x then it should not be long before they figure out the 6p. Who is actually working on the solution though whether that is Google or T-Mobile is anybody's guess.

If you really want to test this theory, remove the SIM and do a factory reset followed by adding a different carrier's SIM and activation. You should get prompted to download the update almost immediately at that point.

• eninca

Thanks. This makes the most sense of any info I've been able to find anywhere. At this point, I'm more concerned about not getting security updates than having to wait for Oreo.

• tidbits

murubaba wrote:

The hardware is the same. Google did not ask for carrier details when buying the phone. However when a SIM is inserted/activated it downloads the PRL and possibly other carrier specific software for that specific carrier in order to provision the phone onto their mobile network. Removing your SIM card past that point will have no effect as the phone still thinks it is for that specific carrier.

People can choose what they want to believe but I think it has something to do with how the radio connects to T-Mobile's network that does not play well with Oreo. If they have sorted out those issues for the 5x then it should not be long before they figure out the 6p. Who is actually working on the solution though whether that is Google or T-Mobile is anybody's guess.

If you really want to test this theory, remove the SIM and do a factory reset followed by adding a different carrier's SIM and activation. You should get prompted to download the update almost immediately at that point.

Then the unlock and UNBRANDED isn't true if T-Mobile has an intricate part in the development of the device to where they can stop an update.  Then there would be a flaw with that argument just looking at the factory image page.  It's all the same until 8.0.  When you load a sim both the 6P will download a carrier package.  It would still have an effect BECAUSE then it would break switching to another carrier.  You swap sims it deletes the carrier partition and re-downloads that specific carrier payload.  Still does this with the Pixel and Pixel 2, and that's what that partition was designed for.

Like I said before it more than likely Google partner screwed up with band 12 and the current rom disabled band 12 and that's why it is separate as it needs to be tested for E911 and ensure it works.  So until they fix that they can't make it work under band 12.  Since you got the update I am assuming you put another sim in to get the update try checking around for band 12 location and see if you connect to it, and if possible force connection to band 12 if it won't auto connect if it still refuses to connect to band 12 then you have your answer.  Then it comes down to Google not wanting to throw they OEM, or themselves under the bus.  All T-Mobile does at this part is test to make sure E911 works and nothing more beyond that it's up to OEMs to make sure it works because T-Mobile will not be held liable is E911 doesn't work.

• magenta3026531

Don't feel bad.  I haven't received the update either.  Oreo or the October patch.

• magenta3040470

My 6p hasn't received Oreo yet either. I'm still on 7.1.2 w with the August security patch. This is very disappointing since a main selling point of the Nexus and Pixel devices is timely updates.

• murubaba

Pulled the SIM out. Factory reset the device and next thing you know, I am prompted to install Oreo. The SIM was transported to my pixel 2 xl.

I don't plan on putting another SIM card in my Nexus 6p at least for a while so I am not suggesting anyone try to do this since I don't know what will happen if the SIM is put back in. Just wanted to report that my theory was correct.

• ddgary@gmail.com

Stopped getting security updates in July so I side loaded Oreo last month and hoped everything would sync. Well still no October security update. Called Google twice in the last two weeks. All they did was document and say that they'll look into it with developers. Even referenced this thread. Also called -Tmobile and got no assistance. So took some of you guys advice and swapped my SIM with a Verizon SIM an received an instant update! Placed Tmobile SIM back in and everything seems normal--showing B12. I guess someone from Tmobile is reading these threads. I'd hate to change providers but that may be cheaper than buying a new phone because they can't get it together.

• kreeh

Wow, I finally got the OTA on my TMO Nexus 6p... Installing it now.  I did not take any additional action, so maybe whatever was holding up the release has been solved. Now I just hope it installs OK. Hopefully everyone will start getting updates now!

• flaxxq

After  almost one month that my 5x received the Oreo update my 6p finally got it. It appears that a lot of 6p's owners are getting the update!