Wifi Calling - ER082 - Unable to connect msg

ppnewell59

Getting an ER082-Unable to connect message when trying to connect to wifi calling.  Any ideas.

All replies

• snn555

Re: Wifi Calling - ER082 - Unable to connect msg

Is this on your router, everywhere, just particular locations?  Which phone are you using?  Is it compatible with T-Mo wifi calling?  Do you have a good upload/download speed with your ISP?  Is said router properly configured for port access?

• ppnewell59

I have a ZTE Pro Max from Tmobile with Wifi calling.  It has worked intermittedly on the router I have.  I was working fairly well for three days with the phone in airplane mode with wifi on.  And then yesterday it suddenly stopped working completely.  My ISP is providing 20mbps up and down.

• snn555

I'll be honest when I say this and I don't mean to be negative however I have the same phone and have since stopped using it because I had a myriad of network issues including WiFi calling WiFi connectivity and LTE signal refresh issues when going and coming from certain areas with strong or weak signal as well as Bluetooth connection issues. I have since moved on to a different phone. I have had no issues with my new phone using the same networking equipment I had before. There was no update or fix issued for any of the issues I had regarding network connectivity from either TMobile nor ZTE.

I should also note that I did have the phone replaced under warranty with the same model. There was no improvement after replacement nor resets.

• ppnewell59

I'm surprised they don't have a test tool to test the router and ports and other connections.  It would save everybody a whole lot of time.

Anyhow, was it working this morning for a bit, now out again.  They want to replace my phone and sim card but I'm in Asia and they don't ship internationally.

In the meantime I've been using google voice with hangouts dialer that works pretty good.  Maybe that's the answer.

How many ZTE pro max's did you try before throwing in the towel?  I'm thinking I should try and find a dual sim unlocked Moto G5 plus while I'm here.  Other suggestions would be welcome.

Thanks

• snn555

I went through 5-6 resets without restoration from a backup in hopes that the widespread issue would be corrected. I replaced the phone a couple times in a year. I have insurance on my line so each exchange was $5 but I had to go to a tmobile store to exchange each time. I was eventually told there were no further updates coming outside of 1 or 2 security patches. That's when I moved to an LG Stylo 3 Plus.

Sidenote:  I helped with the testing of the ZTE Z982 Z Blade. It had similar issues. It was released before a lot of the beta problems were solved too. I had found translation errors and questionable ZTE apps and image spacing issues beforehand which contributed to my hesitation to continue using phones from ZTE.

Given how few people bought the phone for tmobile (popular on Metro PCS) it stood to reason it wasn't a high priority device for updates and fixes.

The moto sounds like a good cross carrier choice.

• tmo_marissa

Hey, ppnewell59 -- WiFi errors are the pits! We have some basic troubleshooting steps for error 82 listed here: Wi-Fi Calling Errors -- but it sounds like you've already contacted our team and we've determined that an exchange is the recommended fix. I know snn555 did use one of these devices for quite some time, and has given some feedback here on the issues he had. If you want to pursue the exchange, I know being located internationally makes it a no-go for us to ship the equipment to you, but is there a friend or family member who could help facilitate the shipping and return for you? Or have you decided to move on to different equipment?

- Marissa

• ppnewell59

Yes, I could have new equipment send to me by a friend.  It sounds like the ZTE Pro Max is a bit problematic as far as Wifi Calling and a few other networking issues, like the bluetooth was also giving me issues.  Would it be possible to swap to a different phone?  Thanks

• tmo_marissa

I definitely respect the ask, ppnewell59. Typically, alternate exchange replacements are only an option when the device has reached "end of life" -- basically in this case, when there are no longer existing ZMax Pros to replace equipment with. We're not able to order exchanges in this forum, but if you do want to utilize the warranty you can work with our Care team (if you still have your T-Mobile SIM you can call internationally without a fee by dialing +1-505-998-3793) or reach out to T-Force, our social media support team on FB or Twitter. Hopefully we could ship the replacement to your friend and then they could ship it to you, you'd ship back the original to them and they would use the prepaid label to return your existing phone. I know this is a lot of work, but depending on how long your trip is, it may be the best bet!