How much longer for an unlocked (AT&T) S5?

dc5fan

This phone also has 6.0.1 installed (no problems). Any idea when T-Mo will make this null and void? I moved fro AT&T PrePaid after 13+ years to here. I researched T-Mo for about 2 weeks. Still looking for info regarding the $3-a-month, pay as you go plan. Still trying to figure out that as long as I had over $3 in my account the account would stay active. With AT&T I was spending $25 every 90 days. Never missed a roll-over in all those years. If someone has the S5 G900A, and the same plan I am looking for advice. Thanks for any help!

All replies

• snn555

Re: How much longer for an unlocked (AT&T) S5?

I'm not sure I understand the question/s.  How much longer for an unlocked S5?  T-mobile no longer sells that phone.  Or, have you been waiting for the one you have to be unlocked?  What is it you want to be null and void?  Maybe I don't follow how one question connects with the other.

Pay As You Go: Service available for 30 days after activation/refill/conversion; then account is suspended. If you have a balance, your plan will resume for 30 days with 30 voice min. or SMS messages. After this 30-day period, your account is suspended. If funds available, additional minutes/messages @ $0.10/minute or message. Partial minutes rounded up. Domestic use only. No data roaming. Coverage not available in some areas.

Compare Monthly Prepaid Plan Features

1 of 1 people found this helpful
        • dc5fan

What I was trying to ask is somewhere in the near future this phone will need to be updated. This phone was locked to AT&T, and with the help from a T-Mo store the phone would work. It is unlocked so that I could get a T-Mo SIM card. I am in my mid-60s so some phrases I am using you may not be familiar. I cannot afford even an S6, and I will not use a phone made by Apple.

• snn555

Unfortunately this phone model has reached the end of service life for updates quite some time ago. You will not find any official updates anywhere. There are unofficial methods to which you can use to update the phone but they are ill-advised and void warranties and may also lead to other issues. I will say however there are newer Android OS phones from many manufacturers some available on tmobile.com that cost $200 round about. There's no need to spend 500 plus dollars on a phone. You can get much newer features and better security from phones now in that lower price range then even the S5 would afford when it was brand new.

If you are someone who is not tech savvy or does not need the latest and greatest especially someone who primarily uses their phone for phone calls and texts and perhaps wifi-only data then you may look at something like the LG Stylo 3 plus or even the Samsung j7 Prime. Even the LG K20 might be something of interest at a lower price range with easy and decent features included.  You will also find that these phones are fully compatible with the T-Mobile network. Anytime you bring a phone from another carrier you may be limited to the range of available features and services on the network based upon the technology in that other carriers device. Sometimes saving money on a bring-your-own-device option is not the best choice when one needs all available features and services.

But suffice to say that the S5 will not receive any updates. And it is my opinion that you might be better served finding an affordable budget phone that you are comfortable with from T-Mobile directly.

• dc5fan

snn55: Thanks. I just bought this phone in June. Besides using it for calls I have about 1400 mp3s. I have an issue with the phone that won't let me add any more mp3s. That's another story. You have given me some very good info. DC5fan

• snn555

Sounds like you don't have enough internal storage space for more mp3s. After the operating system, apps, and 1400 mp3s I'm sure its about full. You could get an SD card but new phones are coming with 32GBs of j eternal memory almost standard now.

• dc5fan

snn55: I found a comparison list of bands that T-Mobile and AT&T BOTH use. They both use Networks GSM/UMTS/HSPA+, 3G bands-2, 3G Freq- 1900. 4G LTE bands-2,4,12, and 4G LTE Freq-1900, 1700de. A couple of days ago I read that an unlocked AT&T phone was the closest phone to T-Mobile.

Just to answer another of one of your other questions I don't need a phone with a lot of "bells and whistles". Granted I won't get the Nougat upgrade, and I'm fine with that. One of my vehicles, 2012 Ford Escape, has the SYNC. My phone works great on the Escape. My other vehicle, 2005 Ford Five Hundred, I use an FM transmitter connected to the S5 that will play my mp3s without a problem. BTW, the Five Hundred does not have SYNC. I do have a Motorola  Roadster 2, but I'm not a big fan of that one. My previous smartphone was an S3 on Virgin Mobile. When and if my S5 decides to bite the dust I will be buying a phone that is a T-Mobile phone.

• dc5fan

On a T-Mo site there is a 700mhz band. There are several Samsung phones that have the band. For snn55 I ain't broke, but I ain't rich either. I need to get an okay from by the Head Bookkeeper (my wife) to buy an updated phone. LOL! Since the S5 is unlocked, and in excellent condition, I should get a decent return.

• snn555

It sounds like you are fairly happy with the S5 as is. If it serves you well and you don't have any lack if coverage and it works well with your other devices and vehicles I suppose you might as well stay with it. However if you do decide to sell it for a decent return you can always put that money towards a new phone. I wouldn't expect to get very much for it but some is better than nothing.

• dc5fan

snn55: Yesterday I checked the Revvl. The price is right, and it has some good reviews. One of the things I don't like is the battery cannot be replaced. That might change as I read a couple of days ago that the battery in a S6 can be replaced at a price of $45. This phone, Nougat, comes with Nougat. It can't be updated, but that doesn't really bother me. Thanks for your suggestion regarding looking for another phone.

• dc5fan

I looked at a later post where I was able to compare the bands between T-Mo and AT&T. I should be ok for a long time. My S5 may not get updates, but it's only being used for calls.