Extreme Roaming Cancellation???

magenta2879632

Hi,

I know I was roaming longer than I should have, but I didn't know I was going to be in Mexico as long as I was. I do freelance work abroad and I wasn't supposed to be in Mexico for as long as I was. Had I known I would have gotten a local SIM card. I'm back in the US now. I've called T-Mobile multiple times and just got the run around. Did anyone have this problem and were able to get it resolved? If so, what did you do? I can't afford to lose this account. I used to love T-Mobile but lately it's customer service has gotten really bad. I am shocked they rather cut their customers off than find a way to keep their business.

All replies

• tmo_chris

Re: Extreme Roaming Cancellation???

Hey magenta2879632 

I am very sorry for any confusion or frustration you have had to endure because of this. Our services are meant to have the primary usage occur in the U.S. In the event that your account is flagged for excessive roaming, you should receive notifications letting you know that your account is at risk of being canceled.

I know that you have spoken with our customer service about this issue a few times but we really do need to take a look at your account to see what options are available to you. Here on our community forum, we do not have access to customer accounts so I cannot see exactly what has happened with your account. If you have a Facebook or Twitter account, I would recommend that you reach out to our T-Force team using the links in my signature. They will be able to do a full review of your account and figure out what the next best steps are.

• levs1999

We have been locked in Extreme Roaming Hell with T-Mobile for weeks. Even taking the suggestion of several T-Mobile customer  Service personnel to get a second Sim card did not prevent T-Mobile from taking action against our account. Escalated this issue to company president who put us in touch with executive response team. No real resolution offered,  even at the highest levels.   Advertising says “No Borders”. But excessive roaming rules are buried in terms and conditions and enforcement, warnings and ability to track roaming are all incredibly flawed or non-existent. We have initiated a complaint with Federal Trade Commission for Truth in Advertising violations. Customers who roam often to Canada and Mexico should make their voices heard.  The extreme rooming department is absolutely useless and the people who work there are rude and combative. Regular customer service folks at T-Mobile are sympathetic, and shocked at how T-Mobile  handles this issue, but are completely helpless to find solutions or make exceptions to prevent lines  from being blocked or accounts canceled.

• cnez07

I have replied to the original email and I really appreciate your tips here about filing a complaint with the Federal Trade Commission for Truth in Advertising violations. I am going to do the same. I hope everyone else does too!

Details on my plan below. By the way, when you clock on the little “i” there is nothing that details the roaming guidelines or restrictions. In fact, if it is so important why isn’t it something that is tracked for you in terms of usage like everything else is on your bill?

Again, never did I get a warning about this when discussing my plan. Nor did I get a letter stating the rules for roaming. There isn’t ANY detail in my account itself. Nothing in my bills.

I had to call twice to have someone show me where this information is written.

Even when you get through the tiny small type on the website and scroll through the various sections the following is the vague message which I think was probably thrown together when they decided to stop fulfilling their promise to customers.

*CAN I ROAM ON MY DEVICE?

Domestic Roaming: Your Device may connect to another provider’s network (“Off-Net”). This may happen even when you are within the T-Mobile coverage area. Check your Device to determine if you are Off-Net. Please do not abuse this; we may limit or terminate your Service if you do.

International Roaming & Dialing: Availability and features offered for international roaming and dialing vary depending on your Rate Plan and Device. All countries may not be available for roaming and available countries may change from time to time; click here for more information about which countries are currently available for roaming. Whether roaming internationally or making and sending international calls and messages while in the U.S. (or Puerto Rico), you may be charged international rates (including for voicemails left for you and for data usage). This includes per minute rates for calls and per minute rates for calls transferred to your voicemail and the relevant data rates for data usage. You may be charged for more than one call for unanswered calls that are forwarded to voicemail regardless of whether the calls result in an actual voicemail message being left for you and regardless of whether your Device is on or off. Different rates and rounding increments apply in different countries. Click here for information on international access, rates, Services and coverage. While roaming internationally, your data throughput may be reduced and your Service may be otherwise limited or terminated at any time without notice. You are responsible for complying with U.S. Export Control laws and regulations, and the import laws and regulations of foreign countries when traveling internationally with your Device.

Where it says please do not abuse this; we may limit or terminate our service if you do.
              Under what measures? What are the real guidelines? Exact regulations? How is this helpful
              to anyone?

See where it says FREE oversees texting and roaming??!

• levs1999

The more I hear about this, the bigger this appears to be a problem for TMobile.  They continue to suck customers in with International Roaming Plans and "No Borders" in Canada and Mexico, only to have hidden rules about how all of this actually works and without any easy way to track usage and with inadequate warnings to allow for adjustments to usage to prevent blocking or cancellations.  They have staffed their "Extreme Roaming Department" with rude and unhelpful individuals who are trained to give no quarter and who talk to customers about their "violating" the company's terms and conditions.  All very draconian and wrong.  I encourage you to file a complaint with the FTC and perhaps also the FCC.  The online process is easy.

Meanwhile, I really hope someone at T-Mobile is reading this and will work at the executive level to make customer positive changes.  I for one would much rather see the company do the right thing than have to get embroiled in a fight and include regulatory authorities.

• cnez07

I have been a customer with T-mobile for over 5 years. I have 2 lines, one of which I pay for my mother. I have been using T-mobile's gloriously advertised International Package for a couple of years now. It is currently called the ONE Unlimited 55. I live in both Canada and the U.S. I am an international traveler, so as you can imagine the benefit of having roaming as part of my plan has been so beneficial. Let’s not mention that this international plan does cost an additional $25 a month. When I signed up for the package a couple of years ago and since, nobody has ever mentioned there being a capacity to this usage. In fact, you won’t any guidelines or restrictions anywhere in your bill or account details when you look online or in the app directly.

I’ve done nothing different for the past 5 years in terms of my travels, yet it was only until recently that I started to receive a text message about my usage.

The sudden “crackdown” on roaming, giving customers the extreme option to close their accounts or the actual ceasing of services tells me that someone had to make sudden changes to their terms and conditions because they didn’t have a  strategy to address their issue properly. Their issue (I've called several times) is that we cost them more by roaming in other countries than what we are worth. Now we are experiencing the aftermath of their poor planning and research without a plan B for us, leaving us hanging in the wind trying to figure out what to do next.

Even when you get through the tiny small type on the website and scroll through the various sections the following is the vague message which I think was probably thrown together when they decided to stop fulfilling their promise to customers. It says please do not abuse this; we may limit or terminate our service if you do. Under what measures? What are the real guidelines? Exact regulations? How is this helpful to anyone? I am sure if we would have been told the truth or have been explained the "rules" some of us could have been more careful in how we use roaming. I am VERY disappointed with them. I thought they were breaking the path for what modern day cell service should be. A lot of people travel now, have different homes and work in different places at certain points in the year. Now T-mobile to me is like every other company. I don't trust them anymore. I can't wait for someone else to come along and blow them all out of the water. We have been fooled and now the rug has been pulled from underneath us.

I am sure this won't go to rest anytime soon and that there are a lot of people like us!    

• sadpanda242

Had the same problem. Roaming is literally the ONLY reason I signed up with T-Mobile and now they want to reneg on their services. They won't even refund me for the MONTHS I have been unable to use their service.

It's cost me an incalculable amount of business, as I don't know who's calling me.

Such stupidity on their part, because I would gladly pay more for the equivalent service, but their too stupid to realize the opportunity they have in this increasingly international world and would rather **** their customers off and force them to switch.

Forget what this joker is saying trying to save the situation, they're reneging on their own claims and their own agreements and don't want to pay the price for it. It's a JOKE.

• gramps28

If you go to Tmobile International Plans page and click on full terms it's stated there.

International Plans | Traveling Abroad without Roaming Fees | T-Mobile

Traveling internationally?

Simple Global: Additional charges apply in excluded destinations; see www.t-mobile.com for included destinations (subject to change at T-Mobile’s discretion). Qualifying postpaid plan and capable device required. Taxes additional; usage taxed in some countries. Voice and text features for direct communications between 2 people. Communications with premium-rate (e.g., 900, entertainment, high-rate helpline) numbers not included. Calls from Simple Global countries over Wi-Fi are $.25/min (no charge for Wi-Fi calls to US, Mexico and Canada). Coverage not available in some areas; we are not responsible for our partners’ networks. Standard speeds approx. 128 Kbps. Not for extended international use; you must reside in the U.S. and primary usage must occur on our U.S. network. Device must register on our U.S. network before international use. Service may be terminated or restricted for excessive roaming. 

• tmo_chris

Hey Folks! I know that our phones are our lifelines and having to worry about your account being canceled for excessive roaming is the last thing you want to have to think about. We have some pretty amazing rates for international roamers as well as some pretty lenient restrictions as it is called out in our Terms and Conditions

As per our Terms and conditions, in the "Examples of Permitted and Prohibited Uses of the Service and Your Device" section, we do call out the specifics when it comes to the amount of usage that would be considered excessive.

If you received a SMS notifying you that your account is at risk , we have a special team that can work with you to find the best possible resolution. If you are traveling frequently, it may be better to put your account on a seasonal suspension and look into getting a local carrier SIM card for your use while roaming internationally. To use another carriers SIM card in your device, you would need to contact us to request a temporary or permanent SIM unlock.

• cnez07

Although I appreciate your reply, why isn't this directly under your roaming in the terms and conditions?
                              Better yet, why isn't this in your very own account when you log in?

Why isn't it tracked the way all else is tracked so that customers can determine where they are and control usage?
                              This could have been handled right or properly from the very beginning.

This JUST started happening. I have been roaming for years. Something suddenly had to change which means something that had previously been ok for us to do is now not ok because Tmobile didn't research or plan properly on their end. What I don't appreciate is the false advertising.

This is my package which advertises Unlimited and under it includes Free oversees texting and roaming.
                              The way your package is displayed has NO information or warning about something so huge that can cause your service to be ceased or disconnected!

Very disappointed. I hope that people like you who can make a difference are able to send our concerns upward.

Thanks again.

• gramps28

10. * Roaming, International Calling & Mobile Content. Roaming. Your Device may connect to another provider’s network (“off-net”) even when you are within the T-Mobile coverage area. Check your T-Mobile Device to determine if you are off-net. There may be extra charges (including long distance, tolls, data usage, failed messages or calls) and higher rates for off-net usage, depending on your Rate Plan. Your primary use of your Device must be within the T-Mobile owned network coverage area and we may limit or terminate your Service if you move outside of this area. We may limit or terminate your Service without prior notice if more than 50% of your voice and/or data usage is off-net for any three billing cycles within any 12 month period. International Roaming & Dialing. International roaming and dialing is available with some Rate Plans and on some Devices and may require an additional feature on your account. Whether roaming internationally or making and sending international calls and messages while in the U.S. (or Puerto Rico), you will be charged international rates (including for voicemails left for you and for data usage). Different rates apply in different countries. See www.t-mobile.com for information on international access, rates, Services and coverage. Mobile Content. Wireless devices can be used to purchase goods, content and services (including subscription plans) such as ring tones, graphics, games and alerts from T-Mobile or other companies. You are responsible for all Charges associated with such purchases from any Device assigned to your account. Some Charges may appear on your bill (including Charges on behalf of other companies). You may be able to restrict access and certain services by implementing controls available at www.t-mobile.com, or by calling T-Mobile. Mobile content may not be transferable from one Device to another Device.

T-Mobile Terms and Conditions