700mhz (B12) capable LTE personal cellspot

jjesus88

Does Tmobile have any plans to get a 700mhz capable LTE personal cellspot in the near future?  They recently reduced the B4&B2 strength where I normally had my LTE cellspot and no longer get coverage.

All replies

• tmo_amanda

Re: 700mhz (B12) capable LTE personal cellspot

Great question, jjesus88, especially with all of the network enhancements we have going on. As of right now, we have not been made aware of any new coverage devices.

• snn555

Until coverage with that band is expanded in your area or a device comes available to allow you to do so you may switch over to the cellspot router. That's one option perhaps.

1 of 1 people found this helpful
          • jjesus88

I've thought about that before, but there's no internet or wifi in that location, so the only option would be a LTE personal cellspot.  I've checked with LTE discovery a couple months ago and band 4 had decent strength at the window, but now I only see band 12.

• stevetjr

I think you are needing a signal booster that supports Band 12 not an LTE Cellspot.  The LTE cell spot requires a broadband internet connection and essentially becomes an LTE cell tower using your broadband as the backhaul.  With the LTE cell spot they don't need to make it band 12 since all the phones support band 2 and 4 and all band 12 would do is expand the 3,000sqft  range of the cell spot.

With the signal booster yes you need to be able to receive some signal (at least a bar or two) for it to work and it is essentially a repeater, so yes if you lost Band 2/4 signal all together then the existing signal booster would not work and if they had one that supported Band 12 and you get band 12 coverage then yes that would solve the problem. 

Question is though, does your phone support Band 12?  If not the signal booster wouldn't help you since it only repeats the signal it gets and would not say receive Band 12 signal then convert it to Band 4 so your phone would understand it.  Second if you phone does support Band 12 theoretically you shouldn't need the booster anymore since Band 12 carries much farther and penetrates buildings better.  Note you will as a rule of thumb with the exception of a few markets than the only channel is Band 12 will never get full signal on Band 12.  For T-Mobile it is a secondary channel and is only 5x5 versus usually 20x20 or 10x10 at a minimum so they only want phones that really need it to use it so it doesn't get to congested so as soon as your phone picks up Band 2/4 it will roll over to one of them.  So in theory if you are getting more than 3 to 4 bars of Band 12 you would be getting Band 2/4 signal and the phone would roll.

1 of 1 people found this helpful
                  • jjesus88

The box that I have has "personal cellspot" on the outside, but it is a cel-fi LTE signal booster (it has a window unit and a coverage unit).  Currently I only get B12 service at the window of my building (where the signal booster is).  I used to get B4 1bar, so the booster could pick it up, no longer is that the case.  The B12 is not strong enough to give me any service inside the building aside from at the window.

My nexus 5x supports B12 as well as B4 & B2.  With LTE discover app & with the engineering mode, I can see what my phone is connecting to at the window; it only shows band B12 now, no B4 towers nearby.

• stevetjr

That's weird since generally the refarming that has been happening is moving LTE to B2 or as TMO's site calls it L1900 (LTE 1900) and some folks with unlocked devices all of the sudden lost LTE because their devices didn't support B2 LTE but you say yours does.  From what you have stated yes sounds like you need a B12 signal booster and of course not sure if TMO has in the plans to update the signal boosters to support that band.  As mentioned not sure if they would since in most cases B12 would have resolved the signal issues to begin with. 

I didn't realize they had started branding the signal boosters with the Cellspot branding, they didn't used to and IMHO opinion by doing it now adds to the confusion.  At least with the other two one was Wi-FI cellspot and the other was LTE cellspot.  I would try getting a network ticket put in so they can have an engineer look into it.  It could be that you should be getting band 12 and there is an antenna out of adjustment or even that there is another tower in the area being converted to B12 that isn't active yet that will fill in the gap you are in.