Suspected Malware - JUMP! - from a source claiming to represent T-Mobile.

• 6 October 2017
  • 2 replies

Hello,

I received this unsolicited text message from sender "747-4."

Thanks for adding JUMP! w/PDP featuring AppleCare Services to your T-Mobile device! Download your Welcome Kit now to get started! tmopdp.co/mydocs!

The end of the URL was followed by a 7 character phrase.

I never added JUMP! as the text message implies.  If it's on my iphone then I've not yet figured out how to remove it. 

I performed a "block this caller." on the sender, 747-4.

The website belongs to Assurant, but bears the T-Mobile logo in the upper right side.  I did not download their so-called "Welcome Kit," whereby all indications are that there's a high probability that it's nefarious malware.  There is no indication that Assurant is acting as an agent of T-Mobile or Deutche Telecom.

May I submit that Deutches Telecom pursue aggressive legal action against Assurant? 

May I suggest that T-Mobile publish a warning  to subscribers?

Thank you.

2 replies

Userlevel 3

Hello and welcome, @adonsa​! Thanks for joining our Community and posting about this message. The text you're referring to is an enrollment welcome SMS from Assurant, the vendor who operates the Premium Device Protection program that T-Mobile offers (in other words, insurance or JUMP! insurance). It sounds like this wasn't a service that you'd elected to establish on your line. If that's the case, we definitely want to have you Contact Us if you haven't done so already so that we can review your account and get this feature removed! Please don't worry about downloading the document -- it should be safe, although in your case, it certainly doesn't sound like it's necessary. Thank you, and I'm sorry for any confusion here!

- Marissa

Assurant phones have built in Malware I purchased insurance from Assurant for my t-mobile account. The last two phones I got from Assurant came with pre-installed malware. TWO PHONES within 8 months is no accident! The Malware has random noisy pop ups and notifications of advertising that pop up at random times, like when I’m on a phone call or when the phone isn’t even being used. Some of them don’t even advertise but attempt to engage and entrap. T-moble is trying to make it right by giving me a new S8 but the hassle of reinstalling and setting up my phone has me infuriated. I do hope T-mobile takes decisive action on this. I have liked them as a carrier and been faithful many years but but selling insurance that gives customers defective phones is not good business.

(By the way when I signed for this community I could not change the email associated with this account, Bob in la @ yahoo is an email address of a deceased friend who I used to share a friends and family account on tmobile

Thank You