Signal Booster vs. LTE Cellspot

zero7404

I recently started tmobile service and have poor service in our house. we had poor service in our house with verizon also, it's just the area we are in with the nearest cell tower being 4 miles away.

I asked for a device to help with that and tmobile is sending a signal booster. but then i read more about it and found tmobile has an LTE cellspot as well, so I asked for that to be sent to me as well.

from what i've read so far, i am leaning towards using the Cellspot. but my question about it is: can i setup so that only the phone numbers I want to connect can use it ? neighboring homes are 50 -100 ft away. so my only concern is if other tmobile subscribers find the signal and connect to it.

privacy and accountability of what goes thru my internet connection:

the rep said that the cellspot would keep track of the IMEI devices that use it. somewhat worried about being accountable for someone else's illegal internet activities via the cellspot, even when the IMEI is logged - the activity is still highlighted as passing thru my internet connection.

can i enable registered phone numbers that can access the cellspot ?

signal in the home:

i suppose the cellspot is superior because it doesn't rely on any incoming cellular signal. i have no choice but to keep it near my router.

any concerns at all about health ? this is basically a miniature cell tower not sure if signals/frequencies are in a similar category as wifi ....

thanks

All replies

• drnewcomb2

Re: Signal Booster vs. LTE Cellspot

My understanding is that any T-Mobile customer can access your LTE Cellspot. The biggest issues there are that it will be using your ISP quota and your usage will go against both the ISP's quota and your T-Mobile quota (if any). The only real advantage of using the LTE Cellspot over WiFi is that calls can hand-off to the cellular network when you walk outside. How's your WiFi router? You could just use WiFi.

• zero7404

i have wifi at home, not the issue really - issue is I have an old verizon s5 and will need to get a basic phone that both need to work in the home to receive calls and texts. all 3 lines within the house will need to receive calls and txts all the time.

i received the signal booster and am trying it out. works well on my iphone 6 and i can go around the house without wifi and don't have issues. but the galaxy s5 (verizon) won't do wifi calling on tmobile's network because the rom is verizon branded/specific. it also appears that with the booster the situation is not much improved on the s5 - that tells me it's got some limitations to radio bands it cannot use. where i get 3-4 bars and LTE on the iphone 6, the s5 gives 2 bars and 4G, but fails to make/receive calls and texts.

i can switch out the s5 with an iphone, that would probably improve that line. but then i still have to consider the basic phone.

when the LTE cellspot arrives I will try that out as well. i read somewhere that AT&T's version of the same thing permits individual phone numbers to be registered - that prevents unwanted mobiles from connecting. would have been nice if this LTE cellspot had the same feature.

• dragon1562

There is no way to limit who connects to the cell signal being produced by the device. That being said you shouldn't have to worry for two reasons. One is the fact that the device can only support I believe 10 people at one time. Two is that the range itself is comparable to that of a wifi connection so unless someone is just sitting outside your house they will probably get connected to the native coverage not the one produced by your device.

Also its not to bad since its free and included. Other carriers like AT&T still charge you for those devices. Also the main reason that T-mobile doesn't let you block others from connecting to the cell spot is because it is still their hardware. Plus it benefits them to allow other t-mobile users to use the connection. This adds coverage to their network and offloads some congestion from towers.

1 of 1 people found this helpful
                  • zero7404

i did not know that at&t charges customers for a signal amplifier just to improve coverage. tmobile's offerings in that regard are much better.

you have valid points. i was not extremely concerned - because i know each device has an imei number and device activity is tracked by that number. since the range is about as good as wifi, weak or strong signal beams, etc. i don't anticipate it will be reachable by my neighbors. where i live if i venture outside my wifi connection drops drastically. but i am able to see some neighboring wifi broadcasts.

either way, i'm going to test it today and see how well it works, then i would return either the signal booster or lte cellspot, depending on which one i don't want.

• dragon1562

well I personally hope things work out for you. I personally believe you will end up preferring the cell spot over the booster since it will be a clean signal independent of the tower you normally connect to. Its also the one I used to you for my house before it got upgraded to LTE. Anyway let us know how it turns out for you.

• magenta4397787

I have a question about the LTE Cellspot (raised by what drnewcom2 mentioned above)

In my neighborhood the houses are closeby. I am going to install the LTE Cellspot soon, which is connected to my home internet connection, and also associated with my cellphone.

I want to just double-check that none of my neighbors (who might be Tmobile customers) will be able to use my Home Internet data or my Tmobile phone voice or my Tmobile phone data through the LTE Cellspot. 

If my neighbor can only benefit from a boosted LTE signal, and my neighbour's tmobile phone data and tmobile phone voice goes directly to Tmobile towers (without touching my home network) then it is fine.

Can you pls clarify?

• tmo_chris

So with the LTE CellSpot, any T-Mobile customer within the approximate 3,000 sq ft range can connect to the device and cannot be blocked. I am not sure how close you are with your neighbors but with a limited range, you might be able to just ask some your neighbors if they have T-Mobile to get a better idea if this could cause an issue for you.

• magenta4397787

Chris, appreciate the response.

By connect, do u mean one of these, or all?

1. ANYone can use the boosted Cellular signal
                            2. ANYone can use the boosted Cellular signal, and their voice and data counts towards my line?
                            3. ANYOne can use the boosted Cellular signal, and their voice or data packets use  my home internet connection?

If it is 1, it is NOT an issue to be concerned about.

#2 and #3 are NOT acceptable regardless of what the neighbours say. It might also put us into legal trouble e.g. if someone's IP packets go over our home network and they use the connection for bad purposes. I am surprised why any company will develop such a technology.

Thanks.

• tmo_marissa

Hey, zero7404! I know you got some great feedback here; but I wanted to check in and see if you'd had a chance to do some testing. How are things going for you? Were you able to select the best coverage solution option for your situation?

- Marissa

• zero7404

it has not been going, actually.

i have received 2 different 4g lte cellspots from t-mobile because one of them would not progress past the blinking power light. the second unit is doing the same thing. checking in my router, i have been able to see the devices connected to the port, but neither has shown any type of heartbeat - zero transmission activity for several hours after power-up.

they are both in their boxes and i am preparing to send them back to t-mobile.

• drnewcomb2

Two out of two, sounds like something is wrong with the setup. Does it have a GPS signal? Are any ports blocked on your router?

• zero7404

i have not deliberately or knowingly blocked any ports on my router, so if there are ports which -by default- are normally blocked on a router that are preventing the units from connecting to the internet, I am not aware of it because I didnt see it in the instructions for setup.

the gps was connected and mounted near a window. no way to tell if that was working because no other lights flashed or illuminated.

i also had tried putting the cellspot’s registered ip address in the router’s DMZ, without success.

what ports should be opened for it to access the internet, I‘ll give it one more try tomorrow. though this time after the 2 hour mark if it’s the same blinking power light im just going to pack both units and take them to my tmobile store.

• tmo_chris

Hey zero7404

Just checking in here. If you didn’t block any ports on your router and are just using the default setup, there is no reason you would have to open up any additional ports. The errors you are getting sound like they are provisioning issues on the network backend. Were you able to get past the initial setup yet? If not, what is your ZIP code if you don’t mind me asking?

• zero7404

brief synopsis so you can see what's happening -

have 1 signal booster, works fine.

asked for a 4g lte cellspot to try it out, would not go past green blinking power after 12 hours being connected. decided to return. tmobile sent another, which turns out does the same thing. they said the second one was not in the system correctly according to technical support based in the US (colorado I believe). so this unit is going back also.

they have initiated a 3rd one to be sent to me, this time i requested they make sure it's functional. when i get it i will plug it in and let it do it's 2 hour thing, if the same situation then i would be at a loss for words.

my router, to my knowledge did not have all ports blocked by default but i set them up as forwarded to the cellspot anyway, just to make sure. this second unit has been plugged in for about 24 hours and the power light is blinking green, but as of this morning the internet light has also been blinking orange. all other lights on the front are off.

• tmo_chris

My goodness! Please know this is definitely not the normal case for our CellSpot devices. I am very glad to hear that our techs were able to identify the issue though. I have high hopes for this next replacement. Please let us know how it goes.

• zero7404

the 3rd LTE Cellspot seems to be working. all lights lit up green before the 2 hour setup period.

reception in our house seems to be pretty strong now with good call and text service, even on the non-t-mobile galaxy s5 we have.

i would like to keep wifi enabled on our devices, i don't want to use cellular data whenever i have a good wifi connection. would the presence of the cellspot cause a conflict with the router wifi broadcast, or some other issue on the phones themselves ?

• magenta4397787

Think Twice About Getting a Microcell (or T-Mobile CellSpot) if You Live in an Urban Area

I just found this article that confims that the Tmobile Cellspot is a security concern for anyone living in a urban area.

• dragon1562

It should not be a security concern. Whenever a T-mobile uses the cell spot for data, texting, and calling it is getting tied into their account specifically for the usage. So anything they do is being tracked as if they were on the normal T-mobile network. The only concern you should worry about is hitting a data cap should your ISP have one. If you do have a wi-fi at the home you can just use wi-calling on the device which will accomplish similar results.

So for your concern about someone using the network for "bad purposes" I would not worry as the information would be easy to find/see that it was not you who did it.

• magenta4397787

On this cellspot device, is there a way to disable '2G/3G/4G/LTE Data" and only allow Voice?  if we can, then it should address the security concerns.

My home cellphones are configured to use wifi for data, and we probably only need the boost for voice calls (UMTS voice and voLTE).

• magenta4397787

thats great to know.

The Tmobile Web UI should clarify that it associates the device with a cellphone number only for lifecycle purposes i.e. incase the line gets deprovisioned, then they have to return the device.  Currently, the documentation says all data used is assigned to the cellphone plan, but does not clarify which cellphone plan it is referring to.

ISP data usage is a smaller concern for me.  For additional security,  I can put the device on its own network so that it cannot interact with my home network or put restrictions on the device to only allow communication to the internet.. (my router luckily allows this)

• dragon1562

Yep, also I assume you have a IT background and that is why you are being so cautious. Just remember though that the vast majority of people do not have this background, and the people that do would not want to do malicious things.

Anywho the cellspot itself will be tied to your account, any usage of the device will be tied to the account of the one using it, and all usage will still use your broadband internet connection.

• magenta4397787

"Just remember though that the vast majority of people do not have this background, and the people that do would not want to do malicious things." yes - I have an IT background which is why I am adding a additional safety layer on top of basic security.  But, normal people (without tech background) would be worried about basic security since they do not want to get into trouble because of other malicious or non-malicious people.

"Anywho the cellspot itself will be tied to your account, any usage of the device will be tied to the account of the one using it, and all usage will still use your broadband internet connection."-
                                                      Correct - and thanks for clarifying- minor wording change below:

Cellspot will be tied to my cellular account - incase the cellular account gets deprovisioned, the cellspot will have to be returned.
                                                      Cellspot cellular usage will be assigned to cellphone connected to cellspot
                                                      Cellspot ISP broadband data usage will be asigned to my ISP account.

• jewbixcube

One thing that I'm surprised no one asked about is bandwidth usage. Sure, as long as you don't have a data cap on your ISP who cares how much data your neighbors are using off your CellSpot. But what ab One thing that I'm surprised no one asked about is bandwidth usage. Sure, as long as you don't have a data cap on your ISP who cares how much data your neighbors are using off your CellSpot. But what about sucking your bandwidth? If you have a 60 Mbps line, and you have one neighbor streaming Netflix off you, another one playing World of Warcraft, and a 3rd one doing god knows whay, how much bandwidth is left for you?! When you pay for internet service, you're not just paying for unlimited monthly data, you're paying for the rate at which you can download/upload that data. And I'm not running a data-charity service out of my apartment. I live in an apartment complex that has recently been struck by poor LTE rates. T-Mobile just sent me a CellSpot (I didn't know signal booster was an option). I've yet to set it up but I live in a densely packed apartment complex where hundreds of people could be in range of this thing at any even time, which means the max number of simultaneous connections (16 I believe?) is an easy target. I don't want to be sharing my bandwidth with strangers. Should I request the signal booster instead? I just want good call quality and WiFi calling doesn't seem to be doing the trick on my phone. I'd also like my LTE signal to not be dependent upon my cable internet to be up and functioning. out sucking your bandwidth? If you have a 60 Mbps line, and you have one neighbor streaming Netflix off you, another one playing World of Warcraft, and a 3rd one doing god knows whay, how much bandwidth is left for you?! When you pay for internet service, you're not just paying for unlimited monthly data, you're paying for the rate at which you can download/upload that data. And I'm not running a data-charity service out of my apartment.

I live in an apartment complex that has recently been struck by poor LTE rates. T-Mobile just sent me a CellSpot (I didn't know signal booster was an option). I've yet to set it up but I live in a densely packed apartment complex where hundreds of people could be in range of this thing at any even time, which means the max number of simultaneous connections (16 I believe?) is an easy target. I don't want to be sharing my bandwidth with strangers. Should I request the signal booster instead? I just want good call quality and WiFi calling doesn't seem to be doing the trick on my phone. I'd also like my LTE signal to not be dependent upon my cable internet to be up and functioning.

Also OP asked about health concerns and I was also wondering that. The device will be in my bedroom where I sleep. Any health concerns about having this so close by?

• dragon1562

There are no health concerns. As far as bandwidth usage that is something you can directly control with your router. You can set a dedicated amount to the cell spot making it so that you always have X amount to use for yourself. For example, when I used the cell spot(I no longer due because coverage is excellent at my house) I dedicated 50mb out of my 300mb connection to the cell spot. Hope that info helps a little bit. You could request a booster if you like but you need to have aleast a bar of LTE to repeat into the apartment itself.

• magenta4397787

I have now installed the cell-spot.

The positive is that I am getting extremely good signal - its too good to be true, and voice quality has improved significantly. However, based on 1 day of monitoring, ISP data usage by neighbours is a concern, but before I conclude anything, I will continue to monitor usage for a week or a month..

My feedback to Tmobile is to enhance the cellspot to allow customer's to restrict who can use it, or, automatically restrict it to only those in the family plan..

1. Based on 1 day of monitoring,  this cellspot is using a non-trivial amount of data. That data isn't coming of my cellphones (its most likely from my neighbour's cellpones) unless the cellspot is extremely chatty.  i was hoping my neighbours cellphones are configured to use wifi for data (but realize that they are not techies). I haven't reached any conclusion yet, and will continue to monitor for the next week or month.

2. I might try to move the cellspot to a different location inside my house which is further away from my neightbours, but i won't get GPS signal there, and hope the unit works without GPS.

3. I am guessing dragon1562's suggestion of bandwidth cap won't work because nobody wants their cellphone service to suddenly stop working.

• jewbixcube

Keep us posted on your data monitoring. I will be installing mine this week and I'll provide feedback on data usage in a dense apartment complex. I have a 100 Mbps line and I'd like to throttle this down to 10 Mbps or less, but I'm concerned that will get eaten up by my neighbors easily.

(Btw I wrote that previous post on my phone and the mobile text editor on this site is very clunky, had no idea I was copy/pasting the same sentence in a bunch of places! Can't edit it either.)

• dragon1562

Your cell service would not suddenly stop working. What I was talking about doing is some simple network management. It just ensures that you have a certain amount of bandwidth for other devices to use on the network. I think you would fine by just giving the cell spot 15mbps to play with.

• jewbixcube

I think maybe what he was getting at is that if you throttle it too low, a bunch of neighbors could sap it easily and make it worthless(ish). So there's probably a sweet spot you have to find where it's not clogging up your home network, but still enough bandwidth left on it to be usable. I'll see how mine performs with 5 - 10 Mbps.

• magenta4397787

jewboxcube has the right interpretation - afaik, throttling can have unexpected ramnifications such as dropped calls or punishing the legitimate user when the neighbour starts using high bandwidth, or your own youtube stream can fallback to SD instead of HD.

LTE in theory is fast, but in reality it is not consistently that fast, and maybe only deliver a in the lower Mbps. Plus, the cellspot is limited to 8 connections. Hence,  I wonder if it helps to set a high limit of 15Mbps.

• dragon1562

The answer is yes, a higher limit is always better. I personally give my cell spot a dedicated 50mb to use when I had it in use. That amount of speed was more than sufficient and I know it can handle more. Sorry for the misunderstanding with the original reply. It really just comes down to what you will do with the cell spot. Since I only cared about calls/texts I gave it a lower limit. If I was treating it like my router than I would raise it. I think in your case 15mb is overkill even with the neighbors.

• magenta4397787

I have NOT understood why single throttling bucket for cellspot will work, but I'll leave it to y'all to figure it out.

1. If u lower the throttle rate, when neighbour starts streaming u won't get voice calls or your voice calls will get dropped.
                                                                                  2. if u increase throttle rate, u will probably never hit throttling and then get towards the ISP cap.
                                                                                  3. if u keep throttle rate, your voice calls will intermittently drop.

If router supported separate throttling for each call, then i think it might work

Anyways, best of luck - thanks for all the help.

I will post my data usage info after a few days!.

• normond

I received my cellspot last week and have spent over 3 days trying to activate it.  I have tried both connecting to my Linksys router and then my Spectrum cable modem.  I have tried to unblock the three ports on my cable modem, still did not help.  I tried to unblock the ports on my Linksys router and I'm not sure if they are unblocked because it says it did it but then they don't show as unblocked. 
                                                                      I am taking this back to the local store and returning it and then calling to ask for a booster to be sent to try that.  I don't know if I can spend a lot more time explaining the entire procedure of what I have tried (according to the installation instructions) several times.  After I explain the entire situation, I get the reply, I can't help you but I will transfer you to someone who can.  One time I was transferred a third time back to customer service after tech support. 
                                                                      Frustration is setting in.

• dragon1562

In order for a booster to work at your location you will need to already have T-mobile service. Do you have any forum of coverage in this location?

• magenta4397787

what do the status lights say?

If u can give "name, color, flashing or not" of all the lights on the router, someone might be able to help.

• magenta4468679

I am in the process of installing my second Cellspot.  The first one evidently didn't get registered or activated before they sent it out.  Waste of 1 day.  Waited one week for this one and We are back to waiting for Internet to stop flashing yellow.  I have been through that calling Spectrum to open up 3 ports for this one.  They wouldn't do it the last time.  I am so frustrated with this whole run around.  NO service inside home  dropping calls.   have to stand by the signal booster which the  upstairs one only has one bar.  dropping calls outside.   Got told that the cell tower was under maintenance and was scheduled for completion on April 6th.  Also was told that if I lived a block over, I wouldn't be having these issues.  SERIOUSLY!!!!  If something doesn't get fixed by tomorrow.   BY BYE T-Mobile.   14 yrs of loyal service doesn't mean much anymore :-(

• magenta4397787

I wonder why does spectrum block ports. . afaik, that used to be the norm during windows 95-97,  and many ISPs have gotten out of the business of blocking ports. if possible move to a more an ISP that is up-to-date policies/technology..

• magenta4468679

Well crossing my fingers, spectrum just opened the 3 ports.  I restarted router and cellspot modem.  Patiently waiting for 2 he installation  time

Sent from Yahoo Mail on Android

On Thu, Mar 22, 2018 at 7:33 PM, magenta4397787<no-reply@t-mobile.com> wrote:   

#yiv9879529863 * #yiv9879529863 a #yiv9879529863 body {font-family:Helvetica, Arial, sans-serif;}#yiv9879529863 #yiv9879529863 h1, #yiv9879529863 h2, #yiv9879529863 h3, #yiv9879529863 h4, #yiv9879529863 h5, #yiv9879529863 h6, #yiv9879529863 p, #yiv9879529863 hr {}#yiv9879529863 .yiv9879529863button td {}

|

T-Mobile Support

|

Signal Booster vs. LTE Cellspot

reply from magenta4397787 in Network & coverage - View the full discussion

I wonder why does spectrum block ports. . afaik, that used to be the norm during windows 95-97,  and many ISPs have gotten out of the business of blocking ports. if possible move to a more an ISP that is up-to-date policies/technology..

Reply to this message by replying to this email, or go to the message on T-Mobile Support

Start a new discussion in Network & coverage by email or at T-Mobile Support

Following Signal Booster vs. LTE Cellspot in these streams: Inbox

This email was sent by T-Mobile Support because you are a registered user.

You may unsubscribe instantly from T-Mobile Support, or adjust email frequency in your email preferences

• normond

Green and Yellow have been flashing without ever activating or becoming a solid color.  I can't get past that point.  Ref. the booster, I do have Tmobile cell service nearby and outside my home but inside only one bar and dropping calls.

• dragon1562

Well than the booster should help in your case. As far as trouble shooting the cellspot have you seen this page 4G LTE CellSpot status lights & ports

• normond

Yes, and the same information is in the brochure I received with the cellspot. Never been able to get past a flashing green and a flashing yellow.  But thanks

• magenta4397787

which one is flashing green and which one is flashing yellow? There are names against each of them.  And, if anything else is solid green, yellow, it would be good to know.

• jewbixcube

Welllll.... guess what folks. I joined in this thread yesterday saying that I was going to be setting up my CellSpot later. Just got home after leaving it plugged in for 4 hours and unfortunately it looks like I am part of the green and yellow flashing club

To be more specific, the Power light is flashing green and the Internet light is flashing yellow. None of the other lights are on.

Yippee. Now what?

• normond

The green top light for power is flashing and never turns solid.
                                                                                                    The yellow light below the green is flashing and never turns yellow.
                                                                                                    The GPS is connected and by the window, but that wouldn't keep the box from activating according to the instructions...

It's going back to the store today.

• magenta4468679

It finally works.  I only had the power light flashing green and the internet flashing yellow.   I woke up in the middle of the night to find all lights green.  Yay!!!!  The difference this set up and last.  First they actually activated the box before it shipped.  I followed the enclosed instructions and per Louis in their tech support...called my ISP and had them open 3 ports. 123,500,4500. Finally got a tech from Spectrum that had done it before and amazingly not dropped the call...he got it done.   Another miracle is that my signal booster box upstairs is showing all bars lit up.  Yesterday only one was lit.    All I need to do is send back the first cellspot that didn't work.    What a hassle!!

• tmo_chris

Hey folks! If you are getting a flashing power and internet light, we are going to need to take a closer look at your account to ensure everything is provisioned correctly. Please contact us when you have a moment so our tech teams can investigate this.

• jewbixcube

I stand corrected on my previous post. I woke up this morning to a text message saying my CellSpot has been activated and all the lights were green. Guess I spoke to soon. I know that doesn't help the other people commenting here with flashing lights, but for posterity anyone reading this should know that it may take more than 4 hours for it to activate.