Can't Get GoGo InFlight to Work

magenta2769917

I'm on the ONE Plus International plan, which the T-Mobile store told me gives me unlimited GoGo InFlight on my phone.

I've been on 2 flights since signing up for it, and wasn't able to use it on either flight.  It's as if GoGo doesn't recognize my phone, or plan, or something.  When I got onto WiFi on the planes, I never saw the free option to use GoGo InFlight.  I saw all kinds of payment options (this flight...all day...all month, etc.) but nothing about it being free on the flight.

Obviously I'm missing something here, as the instructions for logging onto GoGo just don't seem to work for me.

Are there better instructions available somewhere I might try referencing?  (I"ll be on some flights next week).

Thanks in advance!

Mike

All replies

• tmo_lauren

Re: Can't Get GoGo InFlight to Work

Hey Mike!

Thanks for reaching out and lets see what we can do! First and foremost, can you tell me what device you are using?

Assuming you are using a compatible device and a participating plan, you should see the option right at the connection point!

-Lauren

• miket

What airlines do you use?

• magenta2769917

I’m using the same phone I have on T–Mobile.

And I am flying American Airlines.

• miket

Should work.   As I recall, the sign in process is a little complicated.  I remember a couple months ago making a video call back home using the "Duo" app.  Amazing to talk AND SEE someone one the ground a 1000 miles away. 

Will try GoGo again on Sat. on United.  As I recall, only get an hour (2?) w. my old SC plan on wifi.

• tmo_lauren

Can you tell me what the make and model of the phone is you are using? It should work on most smartphones, but we do see some issues on unlocked devices because there needs to be a valid messaging app and for some reason it doesn't always see some devices correctly, we have also seen issues crop up on rooted devices.

The process *should* be pretty easy assuming the handset is compatible. I fly with American often, and it should just appear as one of the payment options on the GoGo landing page. From there it should ask you to confirm phone number and be easy peasy.

One other important piece is you also need to have an E911 address on file, which is one other final piece to check. Although I believe the prompt to connect should still be there, it would just error without it.

-Lauren

1 of 1 people found this helpful
                  • miket

Turns out UA did NOT use GoGo for wifi.   (Turns out United uses diff. providers.)  I normally  take red-eyes - so don't bother w. wifi.  United wanted to charge over $10, as I recall.

They didn't even have free movies.  Live TV was $8 or $10.  Jet Blue and Virgin Air offer TV "free".   (Virgin will be taken over by Alaska Air in a few months.)

• stevetjr

as tmo_lauren mentioned unlocked devices from other carriers may not work as there is some coding in the OS ROM that is required for it to work correctly.  Also as mentioned the E911 address needs to be entered.

Here is the one that most miss and that is before it will work you must make sure you have made and completed one call using Wi-Fi calling so your device is registered on the Wi-Fi calling servers.

Then when you get to the registration page you should see a T-Mobile box (looks like an ad almost) that you click on which should enable the GoGo after a question or two.

3 of 3 people found this helpful
                        • magenta2769917

Steve,

Helpful reply....LOL....I think!

How does one go about making a WiFi call?  Do we have a choice, when calling, between using WiFi and cell?

Also...It's been some time since I looked at them, but I could swear I read instructions that tell us to turn off WiFi calling before going to the gogo site.  Did I misread something?

I'll have to look up how to enter an E911 address...

So are there any step-by-step instructions available that help us know what settings to change before trying to get onto gogo?

• stevetjr

I hope it is helpful but sometimes trying to figure these things out can be hit or miss, these are just some of the ones I have run into or seen here before;

As for setting up your phone just click this link Wi-Fi Calling and then there is another link that has "device tutorials" for specific devices.  If you have iPhone you definitely will need to use the guide since I don't (and won't lol) own any Apple products.  I know on Android you can set a preference with Wi-Fi calling to be preferred over cell or the other way around, with Apple not sure of the options.

Yes on the airplanes you cannot use Wi-Fi calling since you are not supposed to be or allowed to make voice calls so the "calling" part is not functional but the SMS text feature part of that technology is.  I believe that is why there is the extra code in the OS for Android or for Apple beleive you just need the TMO carrier update on your phone.

For E911 address you can do that from either your MyT-Mobile account or thru the T-Mobile app on the phone. Even if it is in there just to make sure it is loaded on the server just retype it and save it again.  Sometimes with a SIM card change it gets lost on the servers.

Here is the support page for TMO GoGo.  I know it works on AA have used it myself and a good friend who used to work for me is a Captain on AA and uses it all the time. T-Mobile In-flight Texting

• tmo_amanda

magenta2769917,

Did you take a look at the link stevetjr  sent: T-Mobile In-flight Texting? It lists the supported airlines, supported devices, how to set it up, etc. There's sooooo much info there. You can also update your e911 address by following these steps: Change your billing and e911 address .

Let us know if you are able to get GoGo up and running!

• tmo_chris

Just checking in here to see how things are going. Were you able to get Wi-Fi calling set up on your phone? Did you get your E911 address updated?

• tmo_marissa

Hey there! Just wanted to reach out here and see if the links provided above have helped you get to the bottom of this! Please let us know if you have any additional questions. Thanks!

- Marissa

• philalexander

I encountered the same issue yesterday on a Delta flight from ATL to ABQ which used a higher speed of GoGo Inflight. I used my iPhone 8 Plus which is an unlocked version that up until 2 months ago was on the AT&T network. The option to use TMobile's free internet didn't even come up. I have the International option so I should be able to get internet during the whole flight.

What went wrong?

• magenta3014174

I found out another solution that worked for me. A rep at gogoinflight gave me the answer when I successfully logged on with my laptop.

The problem is probably due to a validation problem.

You need to have Chrome and go into incognito mode to connect

Then type in this web link: http://airborne.gogoinflight.com/gbp/tmoValidate.do

Rep indicated it had something to do with cookies being enabled. The incognito mode prevents cookies from being read, so it allows this validation to take place. I hope this helps others.