What is the best mobile signal booster for my car?

magenta2774590

I am in the mountains of WNC. There are many weak areas and I wonder if there is a device I can put in my car to boost signal when I am driving. any ideas?

All replies

• gramps28

This is the first time I've seen this request.

Maybe drnewcomb2 has an idea.

• drnewcomb2

WeBoost (formerly Wilson Electronics) makes an in-car booster but I have not heard reports from anyone using them or how well they work.

It's unfortunate that carriers pressured manufacturers to remove the external antenna jacks that used to be common on cell phones. The problem could often solve by simply adding an external antenna.

2 of 2 people found this helpful
              • joes8888

There are actually a variety of booster products available, at different price points, different features, different packages for application, etc.

But get a good one. It is my opinion that the less expensive versions of this product category do not work very well. If you look at the user comments thru Amazon (for example) you'll see what I mean. But if you purchase and properly install a good quality booster from a reputable source, you will have a great user experience. In the context of travel, a good booster will mean you go from being disconnected to connected in your vehicle. Sort of important to some users... :-)

• barcodeable

I have read somewhere in the T-Mobile agreement relating to unauthorized signal boosters... All the carriers have these stipulations in place because it has been mandated by the FCC. So nobody should blame T-Mobile for not being allowed to use particular boosters! I posted a link to the information below! but when i click on the link to e signal booster regestration tool... nothing happens.

https://support.t-mobile.com/docs/DOC-9827#firstheading

Registering your booster

• To ensure signal boosters don't interfere with cellular coverage, the FCC has mandated signal boosters be registered with a carrier before use.
              • All carriers allowing the use of signal boosters on their network must provide a registration system so consumers can register the address where they use the booster.
              • The carrier can then use this information when troubleshooting network issues.
              • If a booster causes problems on the network, registration helps carriers identify and locate the booster.
              • Registration helps to protect consumers and carriers by streamlining network troubleshooting, and ensuring a positive signal experience.
              • If you are a T-Mobile customer who received a booster, you are already registered to the address where the device was shipped.
              • If you purchased your own booster or have moved from the original, use the Signal Booster Registration Tool.
              1 of 1 people found this helpful
              • tmo_lauren

Boosters actually need to be in a building! There needs to be a PPU and a registered address for the boosters, so technically if a car was on blocks or a mobile home maybe, but we wouldn't be able to sanction or suggest one for a moving vehicle!

-Lauren