Why is the PC app and the web version of Digits so slow?

rld83186

Why is the PC app and the web version of Digits slow enough to make it unusable? I'm wondering if everyone's is like that or if there's a setting or a problem with mine. I've downloaded several versions of the app and done multiple fresh installs and the issue never gets any better.

All replies

• tmo_marissa

Hmmm, rld83186. I haven't seen widespread concern for this issue, but that doesn't make it any fun to deal with! What are the symptoms of this slowness that you're seeing, and are you operating behind any type of firewall?

- Marissa

• tmo_amanda

Happy Friday, rld83186!

Are you still having issues with the web/pc version of DIGITS running slow? If so, as Marissa mentioned, we're curious if you're operating behind a firewall. Also, is the site just loading slow? Where exactly are you seeing slowness?

• tmo_marissa

Hey there, rld83186! Just wanted to see how things were going for you. We'd love to know a little bit more about your set-up and how the slowness is manifesting/affecting DIGITS performance, if you're still having trouble! Thank you.

- Marissa

• rld83186

I'm not running my setup behind a firewall, just an off the shelf router. The problem happens no matter what device I'm using Digits on, whether I'm on WiFi or mobile data, and even in other countries. Almost every aspect of it is slow to the point of being unusable. When I try to switch between the calls and messages tabs, it usually takes around a minute before it will start displaying the list. When I click on a contact to see messages from that person, it can take anywhere from 30 seconds to 5 minutes before the messages start showing up, then the list just starts scrolling upward toward past messages and with the lagginess of the app, I can't even click on the scroll bar to bring it back down. If I let it sit for an extended period of time and come back to it, I can bring the message window down to the most recent message, but then when I click on the text box and type, nothing shows up. That takes another minute or two for the text to show in the box, then I can't hit the send button for a while. When I finally can send it, I don't know how long the message actually takes to arrive at the recipient, but it's definitely not even close to instant like sending a message from my phone is. Switching to another contact restarts this whole process over again.

Thank you for the help so far. I've been looking forward to using this as I had been using Google Voice for years because of the ability to send and receive texts from my computer. I switched my number back to T-Mobile to get into the Digits beta and it hasn't ever really worked well for me.

• rld83186

I have tried Digits on my desktop, on my laptop over the course of messing with 3 different operating systems, on a Note 3, and on an old tablet all with the official apps. I have also tried to use the web version on several additional computers just to test it.

When it first came out, it worked alright for me for about a week or two. The only thing I can think that I'm doing different than the textbook version of using Digits is that I use Textra for my SMS, because the Samsung messaging app on the S7 Edge isn't very good. I could try switching back for a few days to see if it helps. I just didn't think that would be an issue, because it wasn't a problem when I first started using Digits and there are plenty of phones without Digits support built into the operating system that I assume work just fine with the service, because I haven't heard of my problem being widespread. Also, from what I've read, Digits is supposed to send and receive my SMS from T-Mobile directly, which would come before my handset had any interaction with the message and independently of the handset even being powered on, so I figured it wouldn't be an issue.