Porting from Tracfone?

jrh205

I'm trying to port in a number from Tracfone so that my grandmother can use my second line for basic talk and text. I gave her number to 611 customer service for porting and they asked for the account number. She's always bought pay-as-you-go minutes with Tracfone rather than a monthly plan, so I gave them the IMEI for her old phone (which is still active and paid up).

Today I got a call from customer service/tech support telling me the Tracfone IMEI is invalid, but I know that's not true because I read it to them directly off a booklet that came with her phone. Nevertheless, I was told a second time that the IMEI is wrong.

I did some Googling, and apparently you have to personally contact Tracfone and request that they release the number—is this true? I just wanted to check first before I begin the long, laborious, and patience-trying task of dealing with Tracfone customer service.

All replies

• tmo_chris

Re: Porting from Tracfone?

Hey there! Sorry to hear that you are having so much trouble getting your Grandmother's line moved to T-Mobile. I have not heard of the IMEI being used as the account number with any carriers but I know that prepaid plans can be a little different. For example, the account number for a T-Mobile prepaid line is actually just the 10 digit cell number. I do not believe you would need to get permission from Tracfone to release this number but you can call them and have them clarify what they use as the account number on their side.

1 of 1 people found this helpful
        • tmo_marissa

Howdy! Just wanted to stop by and see how things are going for you -- were you able to work with Tracfone and determine what they consider their account number to be? We'd love to make sure you were able to get your grandmother's line ported over!

- Marissa

• tmo_mike_c

Hi there! Have you gotten in touch with Tracfone? We do want to make sure the port went through. Please keep us posted. Thanks!

• jrh205

Hi,

After a busy couple of weeks of work, I finally reached Tracfone by live chat, and they claim that they never received a port request, which I know isn't true because I spoke to someone personally with T-Mobile customer service. This person told me they submitted the request but that it was denied by Tracfone.

Please advise, and thanks!

• tmo_chris

That is super strange! Thanks for getting back with us though. At this point, I would recommend reaching out to Tracfone again and ask them if your number is eligible to be ported out and if not, what steps you would need to take to make it eligible.

• jrh205

So I would need to do that even if T-Mobile says the number is eligible? (I checked the number way back at the beginning of all this.) Just checking, and thanks!

• edmechem

Hey - I just wanted to chime in here, because a few years back I ported a number from Tracfone/StraightTalk into T-Mobile.  At that time, I found out from ST support, that *the last 15 digits of the SIM card #* functioned as the "account #" -- for purposes of porting a phone # away from ST and into T-Mo.  Hope this helps!

2 of 2 people found this helpful