600mhz/Band 71 confusion

gadgetguru

Back in August when T-Mo "lit up" their first 600mhz network they stated:

"T-Mobile today also shared additional details of its 600 MHz LTE network rollout. This year alone, additional 600 MHz sites are slated for locations including Wyoming, Northwest Oregon, West Texas, Southwest Kansas, the Oklahoma panhandle, Western North Dakota, Maine, Coastal North Carolina, Central Pennsylvania, Central Virginia and Eastern Washington."

Great! That covers where I live (Central PA) so we should start seeing some 600mhz/Band 71 by the end of 2017.

However, when I look at their different phases of 600mhz roll out on howmobileworks.com (which I just discovered), it shows my area as Phase 4 sometime in 2019.  So what's the deal?

I'm in the market for a new phone.  I'm a huge fan of the Nexus line, currently using a Nexus 6P and was looking forward to a Pixel 2 XL.  But seeing as Band 71 was supposedly starting to roll out in my area by the end of this year and the Pixel not likely to support Band 71, and wanting a phone capable of utilizing this spectrum, I would then go with an LG V30.  If it's going to be two years or more until we see any 600mhz, then it really doesn't matter what phone I get as I usually upgrade every two years.

All replies

• tidbits

Re: 600mhz/Band 71 confusion

T-Mobile promised to vacate 98% of all the spectrum they purchased by 2017, but realistically they can't deploy all of it all at once.  That will take time to roll it out.  A lot of news sites misread what was stated by T-Mobile press release and believed they'd roll it all out by 2017 which IS impossible as 3GPP didn't finalize the spectrum and hardware until very recently.

3 of 3 people found this helpful
        • drnewcomb2

Here's the deal. As long as there's a 6 MHz buffer between an incumbent TV station's signal and both the up and down-links used by the cellular signal, the licensee (e.g. T-Mobile) can deploy service. I happen to have looked at the situation wrt State College, PA a few days ago. I forgot the details but there is just one TV station there in the channels 38-50. T-Mobile could deploy at least 10x10 600 MHz around this station. This does not say that they will or when they will, just that they could.

In general, it's not enough to just look at the maps on RabbitEars to see that an area is blocked, you also have to look at which channels are blocking which bands. Since TV stations licenses are 6 MHz wide and the wireless licenses are 5x5, there's not a 1-to-1 correspondence between TV station signals and 600 MHz wireless blocks.

4 of 4 people found this helpful
          • gadgetguru

I realize they can't roll it out everywhere at once.

The quote is directly from the T-Mo site.  They said Central PA by the end of 2017 which tells me at least some of the area would get it.

The info on howmobileworks.com then shows it not rolling out in PA until 2019.

So they are contradicting themselves.  I would just like to know for certain so I can make the proper phone choice.  I would guess not until 2019 so it doesn't really matter what phone I have until after that time.

• tmo_marissa

Hiya, gadgetguru! We don't have details on all plans, but our internal map does frequently show plans for specific areas if they're near-future. Is there a ZIP I can check for you?

- Marissa

• dragon1562

Honestly, I would buy the LG v30 since its a solid phone that fully supports the T-mobile network. This way if band 71 does get ruled out you will be able to support the extra coverage. However I get the want for the pixel since it is stock android with reliable updates. It's just that no one can really know for certain when the rollout will happen. Everyone is basically just speculating at this point but from my experience it will probably take into mid of next year. T-mobile tends to be a bit generous (like all carriers) with expected coverage.

1 of 1 people found this helpful
                  • gadgetguru

You are right, the 600mhz rollout is speculation and really an unknown regardless of what T-Mo puts out.  So I went with what I know, that the Pixel 2 is a great phone (although outrageously expensive), it's what I like, and I get to stick with the Nexus/Pixel line up (pure Android, latest version of Android, etc.).  I can't see myself going backwards from my current Android 8.0.0 to 7.x.x.

T-Mo likes to focus on the cities, which makes sense, highest population density and opportunity to make money.  They also focus their advertising on young people, so called "millennials" I suppose, but really those under 30.  They seem to forget about the rest of us (30% of US population lives in a town or city with a population less than 50,000 and the average age is 37).  Verizon is now playing on that with their new commercials about service in rural areas. Let's hope in a few (more) years things improve and maybe Band 71 will be the key.  Who knows.

• drnewcomb2

Verizon has been selling their coverage for some time. Remember, "Can you hear me now?" and my favorite was, (to paraphrase) "My family hates me because we got lost on a ski slope because I didn't have Verizon. Waaah!"  T-Mobile has been catching up by leaps and bounds but AT&T and Verizon have a 20-year head-start with low-band service built on licenses that were given away for free.

• dragon1562

I can honestly say that T-mobile coverage has been pretty solid even without band 71. Especially in 2017. Yes there are still times where I lose service or the quality is not great but for the places that do matter at least to me most ( my home town, state college, etc.) they work great and arguably better then Verizon. I hope they can match Verizon though by 2018 to 2019 in actual useable coverage by square mile. I don't care how they do it ether if its native that is optimal but if they roam that is fine to so long as its not 2g roaming.

• gadgetguru

We've been with T-Mo over 10 years, don't plan on changing.  They're far from perfect, but we've been happy for the most part.  Coverage around my home and work is good.  Indoors at work, data is very poor and phone is not a whole lot better.  My work is at a Military post and from my experience traveling to many different Military facilities, T-Mo service sucks on Military posts.  The coverage map shows great, 4g LTE service on different posts, but the reality is there is zero service usually.  Makes things frustrating when you are away from home for weeks or months.  That's where I would really like to see improvement.

• dragon1562

well thank you for your service. I have a lot of friends and family who serve as well and go to see them sometimes when they are stationed in the states or if it is somewhere i can afford to go. I can honestly say most cell service sucks on base in my experience and that is due to  the special restrictions and such that apply. Although generally speaking AT&T gave me the best luck. Anywho hopefully things will get better.

• tmo_amanda

Hey, gadgetguru !

I know you're really looking forward to added coverage in PA. If you can provide us a specific zip code, we can take a look to see if any of the towers have planned maintenance to be upgrade.

Keep us posted!

• gadgetguru

No specific zip code, I live, work, and travel in different areas.

• bandmuncher

Hey Amanda,

I have a similar situation but in central VA.  Could you check if there are any plans for 24416?

Thanks

• drnewcomb2

The area between Lexington and Natural Bridge already has 700 MHz. The area around Lynchburg, including the Zip you mentioned can deploy at least 15x15 of 600 MHz now. The question is, "What sort of priority will this area get?"

• bandmuncher

Thanks for the information.  I get good reception in Lexington and on most of I-81 but service is really spotty over the ridge in Buena Vista.  I can occasionally get a signal outdoors but hardly ever indoors  I've been limping by for a few years using WiFi and a CellSpot but would love to have reliable service around town.  Is there any way to "vote" or otherwise influence the priority that an area receives?

I hear that Sprint gets a decent signal in town.  Maybe the rumored merger will provide more immediate results.

• rockstar2005

Hi Amanda,

Can you also kindly check both Chicago and the surrounding suburbs like Schaumburg and Arlington Heights please??

Thank You!!

• drnewcomb2

WTTW on RF channel 47 pretty well blocks band-71 deployment in the Chicago area. They're not scheduled to repack to channel 25 until something like Phase 6. The Chicago market will not fully clear until at least Phase 8 in early 2020.

• rockstar2005

Wow. Well I just ordered the locked T-Mobile LG V30 yesterday online. Too bad I very likely won't still have the phone in 2020. lol

Yet another hassle just like with Band 12..........had to wait for an agreement to be made with AT&T to use the spectrum around here before it got deployed. Super annoying, but whatever. I am still happy with Band 12 at least. It HAS made a difference. Just wish Band 71 was coming a lot sooner. Even a year from now would be fine. But 2020 is ridiculous.

Thanks drnewcomb2.

• dragon1562

Well at least when you travel across the country you will have the peace of mind that your phone will support all the network.

• rockstar2005

Yeah................which I never do. lol Fortunately T-Mobile is FANTASTIC in pretty much all parts of the Chicago area now, thanks in part to Band 12.

• dragon1562

If you think about it you should message me your thoughts on the phone. I'm rocking the GS8 and like it for the most part. I'm just annoyed by the slow updates.

• rockstar2005

Hey dragon,

Well I convinced my sister 2 weekends ago to get the V30 on Verizon vs. another (overrated) Samsung phone. lol She was concerned about audio quality more now than in the past as we both went and saw the band Bush back in May and we both took videos on our phones of the show...........I on my unlocked HTC 10 (which has INCREDIBLE audio like the V20 and V30), and she on her S6. My videos came out clear and sounding great, while her's sounded distorted and bad. She was in b/t the V30 and the S8+. I suggested she take a video of the store with the music playing in the background and compare each. She did, and unsurprisingly, the V30 sounded much better. So she got that.

Afterwards, I helped her configure it, and was quite impressed by it in terms of looks, speed, design, audio, etc. I was already gonna buy it, but that just made me feel more confident that it was a worthy upgrade to my 10, which has just decent battery life but otherwise is a great phone. But this has a bigger screen and b/c of the 18:9 design, it is smaller than the V20 but with a BIGGER screen!

When the phone comes in, I can post more, but I can already tell you if you're asking me if you should upgrade to the V30, the answer is most definitely YES! lol Even the camera on the V30 is better (see 2 pics below giraffe one which are both of the Berlin skyline, and read parts before & after them.) The audio and call quality will definitely be better. And faster too as TouchWiz is laggy. This is LG's best phone by far!

• dragon1562

I was debating about buying it sometime next year since I know it will get discounted. Thanks for the speedy reply man.

• rockstar2005

Sure no problem!

Actually, NOW is the time to buy. T-Mobile has the best promo for the V30 of them all. I got the $500 G6 coming and am selling it to my mother for a VERY discounted price ($225, plus I am covering the $56 in taxes), where I could easily get $350-$400 for it on eBay. There's your discount dragon..........get the G6, then just sell it on eBay and get your money back right away!

One thing is..............you have to also get a NEW line with the G6 in order for the promo to work. When the G6 comes in, put the included Nano SIM card in it, call T-Mo or visit a store, and get it activated. Then you have to ask for them to switch your existing line onto that SIM card but keep the "new" line u just got active. The reason is, the promo code you get to request the $500 gift card comes from LG. LG will check at some point (30-45 days after) to make sure that new line is active. Once it sees it is, you will get your card, THEN can cancel new line. But you gotta pay to keep it open for no more than 1-2 mos. It still will end with you making a profit. They just made it kind of a hassle, but it's really not.

Call T-Mo if you want to get more info or answer any questions. Order the V30 online through your My T-Mobile Accounts page (click on "Upgrade" link) for cheapest price. T-Mo can give u the code and explain what to do. You must wait 24 hours after V30 activation to do the promo code thing though online.

• magenta5863953

Band 71 for these areas. 12986, 12852,12901. Basically what is active in upstate NY or when will it be active. According to t-mobile coverage maps it should be now as long as you have 600mhz device but 600mhz doesn't seem to be activated in these areas yet.

• magenta3466467

@tmo_marissa

Hi Marissa, What do you see for Koontz Lake, Indiana 46574

We are in the same situation. My wife and I are due for new phones now and are wondering if we need to get the v30 or can hold off on 600mhz until the next time we upgrade. the coverage here is low.

Thanks!