MLB At Bat is using my data

magenta2717812

I'm on Simple Choice with a 6GB 4G LTE data cap, with Binge On enabled. MLB is on the Binge On list.

Every time I use the MLB at bat app (with free subscription from TMo), it uses part of the 6 GB. I watched a game last night and my available high speed data was reduced by 571 MB.

This is baffling to me, because all the other streaming apps on the Binge On list, such as Neflix, YouTube, HBO Now, etc. do not use up my data. I even get a message on the android app suggesting that I delete the MLB app!

All replies

• magenta2717812

Re: MLB At Bat is using my data

I'm on Simple Choice North America 6GB Family Match

Here's the part addressing Binge On:

"On 6 GB, 10 GB, and Unlimited plans, enjoy unlimited video streaming from a choice of more than 60 of the top video streaming providers out there, such as Netflix, Hulu, HBO, ESPN, Showtime, Starz, and more, all at no extra charge and without ever using your high-speed data."

• tidbits

Are you sure it's streaming at 480P or lower.  If it streams at anything higher than that any of the BingeOn  stuff will count towards your data.  Some things will also count because it's not streaming.  For example music album art would count towards data, but listening to the song will not. 

I am sure a T-Mobile rep will check to see if MLB did an update that messed up BingeOn and probably needs to address it with them if everything is done correctly by the end user(you).  Double check everything you can.

2 of 2 people found this helpful
            • magenta2717812

Thank you. I did call T-Mobile last month complaining that the app used 2.8GB of my 6GB allotment, but never heard back from them.

I'll try again. BTW, the app has a "High Quality Streaming" option that is set to "Wi-Fi only". Maybe the app is faulty and using high quality streaming at all times, but I kind of doubt it. The problem is happening on two different phones, also. Very strange.

• barcodeable

I have a 6GB data plan with Binge-On activated and I also stream MLB atbat... I haven't noticed any extra data being consumed. I understand the app uses some data due to the data that is being transmitted onscreen if you have the scores displayed, roster info on screen, etc., But i know when my Binge-On is activated because at times the players look all fuzzy as if I need glasses to recognize anybody.... after about a minute the picture quality clears up, but I recognize when its low quality lol...

do some testing and check your usage details on your T-Mobile account to see what's going on with your app.

• tmo_chris

Just checking in here to see how things are going? Did you end up checking back with the support teams? We have a process in place to correct these types of Binge On discrepancies.

• tmo_marissa

Hiya! Just wanted to touch base with you -- as Chris mentioned, one of our teams with account access should be able to review this if necessary. How are things going?

- Marissa

• barcodeable

Check to see if you turned the High Quality Streaming (((off))) on the MLB AtBat app. I use the apple version of atbat (ipad) ... if you have the android version of the app.... i can post where you can change the video quality there too.... as soon as my android phone recharges .

i hope this was helpful....

IMG_2650.PNG

IMG_2651.PNG

1 of 1 people found this helpful
                      • magenta2717812

Thank you, as I wrote in an earlier post, "... the app has a "High Quality Streaming" option that is set to "Wi-Fi only". Maybe the app is faulty and using high quality streaming at all times, but I kind of doubt it. The problem is happening on two different phones, also. Very strange."

To the others that replied, thank you for your interest. To be honest, I stopped using the app rather than call again and explain the situation again to reps who really don't seem to understand what I'm talking about.

But now the baseball post season is here and the need to use the app has arisen again. So this time when I use it, I'll monitor it carefully and call support immediately if the app again uses part of my 6 GB.

I will report back if necessary - thank you all for your continued interest.

• magenta4508531

It sounds like I have the same 6GB of high speed data per month that you have.  Yesterday I noticed using the MLB At Bat used over a GB of my high speed data.  I was on the phone with tech support this morning to find out why.  He had me launch the MLB app and I fired up a replay of a game from yesterday.  He was monitoring on his end that my data wasn't being used UNTIL the commercial breaks.  He said around 0.08GB per commercial break was using my 6GB.  So, really if a game has 20 commercials that's 1.6GB gone right there!  I didn't experience this issue last year.

I know that's an answer, but not really a solution.  But I'm in the same boat.

1 of 1 people found this helpful
                              • magenta2717812

Thank you for contacting support and for the post. Yesterday I again signed up for the free MLB At Bat subscription and streamed a few innings of a game. Sure enough, even with High Quality streaming set to "Wi-fi only" and Binge set to on, I used 600MB of precious data.

So as you said, the explanation you were given is an answer, but it means the much-hyped free subscription is pretty much useless.

• barcodeable

i just watched 30 minutes of Game 7 of the 2017 World Series via BingeOn/MLB at batt app and i only used up .371 mb of data. Several commercials were shown during this time... later tonight.... i will play the entire game and show a screenshot of my usage.

• barcodeable

i watched 45 minutes of an archived MLB game.... and it used roughly 65 MB of data...  i guess T-Mobile is slowly planning on getting rid of BingeOn

it's like going to an "all you can eat" restaurant..... but the owner only limiting you to 3 plates of food.

BingeOn is being falsely advertised in my opinion...

• magenta2717812

So very roughly, that would equate to 200 MB/game, which isn't horrible, unlike 2 GB, which renders the subscription useless.

I'll try this again in a day or two when the regular season starts. If usage is in the GBs per game, I'll just use the audio feed and curse the false advertising.

• barcodeable

i have a blu-ray disc player that have the MLB app.... so the MLB subscription isn't totally useless.... im watching the Yankees game right now.... i watched a little bit of the Chicago game earlier today on my phone that has the unlimited simple choice plan.... so using up 1 or 2 GB to view a game from that phone would be of no concern rega ding BingeOn.

but I totally understand your comment.... it would be great that BingeOn worked 100% with the MLB games with commercials....or maybe i could turn the game off when each commercial comes on.... and turn it back on when the game comes back on .

• magenta2717812

"This question has been reviewed by a staff member and is assumed resolved"

It most certainly has not been resolved.

"On 6 GB, 10 GB, and Unlimited plans, enjoy unlimited video streaming from a choice of more than 60 of the top video streaming providers out there, such as Netflix, Hulu, HBO, ESPN, Showtime, Starz, and more, all at no extra charge and without ever using your high-speed data."

The MLB At Bat uses up to 2 GB per game, despite being listed as no data usage with Binge On.

• barcodeable

I see that the MLB.tv service is listed there.... but if that service uses your data, it should be removed (becaue it's obviously not bingeOn compatible).

If it barks it's a dog, if it quacks it's a duck, if it uses your data it's not bingeOn compatible.

• tmo_chris

Hey folks! The MLB.com At Bat app is a Binge on App. If you have a plan that supports Binge On and you have it enabled on your account (Binge On® how-tos) any game play video you stream on your phone or on a supported device will not count towards your high-speed data allotment but will still count toward fair-use prioritization limits. Depending upon how you are viewing your data, you may see different amounts as to what is used. If you are using your phones built in data meter, it will display all usage including Binge On data. If you are checking your usage on your T-Mobile app or on my.t-mobile.com, you will see your accurate data usage with Binge On Data not counting toward your high-speed allotment.

Since there is a bit of confusion as to what type of data counts towards your high-speed and what type does not, I will paste directly from our internal documentation.

Only video streamed is included as part of Binge On. The following data is not included:

• Data used to load and browse content on streaming provider apps and websites
                                        • Downloading video content for offline viewing
                                        • Viewing advertisements that stream prior to, or during, your selected video’s playback

Also, the specific device you are watching the video on matters as well and how you are watching it.

Optimized video and free video streaming benefits are Smartphone Mobile Hotspot (SMHS) compatible with smartphones, tablets, and mobile internet devices tethered to a laptop, desktop, tablet, or smartphone.

• NO other devices are currently supported (such as gaming consoles, smart TVs or streaming sticks) due to the way they receive video streams, making it difficult to distinguish the content from other data traffic.
                                        • SMHS buckets are not depleted with usage, however all SMHS data used still counts towards fair-use deprioritization limits.

As for the post being marked as assumed resolved, this is because you originally posted this 6 months ago and the last thing we heard from you was that you would report back if necessary and we did not hear from you.

If you feel that your data is being calculated wrong, we will need to take a closer look at your account and open up a service ticket with our engineering teams so please contact our tech support folks if needed.

• magenta4508531

Thanks Chris, for jumping in.  And thanks for confirming what I was told by tech support the other day......that commercial breaks i.e. advertisements during the game do use some of my 6GB monthly allotment of high speed data.  The tech support guy calculated approximately 0.08GB per commercial break.  So, watching a 9-inning game including further commercial breaks for multiple pitching changes is going to use over 1.5GB of my 6GB high speed plan. Its unfortunate that within a week I'll have used up the whole 6GB watching games on the MLB At Bat app.  So no one without an unlimited plan is going to be able to Binge On for very long.

I probably didn't noticed much data being used last year because during commercial breaks there was just an MLB wallpaper during that break that said something like "Commercial Break in Progress."  But this year we have HBO commercials and past years MLB highlights.  Unfortunate.  I checked the MLB At Bat app settings, but saw nothing in there that would allow me to disable the advertisements.

• magenta2717812

So shouldn't there be a notice or disclaimer more visible than fine print that no one reads? Or shouldn't commercials be exempted?

The bottom line is, T-Mobile makes a huge deal out of this free subscription, lists it as Binge On compatible, and then it uses 1.5 - 2 GB of data during each baseball game. I see how excited people are on T-Mo's Facebook page. Boy, are they in for an unpleasant surprise.

Attached is my data use for 1:04 of one game.

Clipboard01.jpg

• barcodeable

Hello tmo_chris,

I believe, based on  magenta2717812 original post and his most recent post he has a concern with the MLB.tv bingOn streaming. As you just stated in your post "Viewing advertisements that stream prior to, or during, your selected video’s playback" is not included with the BingeOn feature. I was fully aware and understood that when im wayching a video and banner advertisements pop up (that is not included with bingeOn service). I also understood that watching a MLB game and if the app retrieves score updates, and other ingame data... that data will not be included with BingeOn. On the other hand, watching a MLB game and when "video commercials" are displayed.... those video commercials are not BingeOn compatible????

"Viewing advertisements prior to, or during, your selected video's playback" is very vague to say he least. The MLB Games in general is one big advertisement. Almost each video clip/stream something is being advertised... from Papa John pizza to T-Mobile Unlimited Plan, to MLB merchandise. The entire screan is full of advertisements from the outfield wall to the infield wall and even the batter's box has advertisements.

Without straying off topic too much, I have also experienced the "Video commercials" eating up my data....  that shouldn't happen. Video is Video. I have my MLB app set to low quality video.... the commercials are streaming in low quality but due to it being an advertisement video it will drain T-Mobile customers data whether they use bingeOn service or not.

What constitutes as "Advertisements" and are video commercials apart of the "Advertisements" you mentioned that are not BingeOn compatible?

If video commercials streaming at low quality is not detected by "BingeOn" then it appears that the MLB.tv app isn't 100% compatible with BingeOn. 

And is this something new relating to "video commercials" because last year, these video advertisements didn't eat up my data when watching the MLB games.

• amedanda

I'm having this same problem and while I recognize that it's not truly a "problem" within the terms and conditions of the program, it's really frustrating how much this changed from last year.  I'm not sure if MLB.TV started playing more commercials instead of the blank commercial break screen or if the commercials didn't used to count... but this renders the MLB.TV account almost completely useless for where it's needed (like on the train home from work).  I watched so many games last year during commute and it didn't cost me a GB per game.

All I've figured out is to just turn wifi on during the commercial breaks and try to guess about when the game is back on so I can move back to data.  Without realizing it right when regular season started I went through more than 2GB in a few days (love me my baseball!).

Perhaps T-Mobile and MLB.TV could figure something out.  One can hope, anyway.

• magenta2717812

Turning on wi-fi during the commercial breaks or going into airplane mode would be a big hassle, but to save 2GB per game, worth it!

I just looked it up. As far as I can tell, 2 minutes and 5 seconds are allowed between half innings. So I suppose one could hit wi-fi or airplane mode and set the timer to count the time down.