MLB At Bat is using my data

magenta2717812

I'm on Simple Choice with a 6GB 4G LTE data cap, with Binge On enabled. MLB is on the Binge On list.

Every time I use the MLB at bat app (with free subscription from TMo), it uses part of the 6 GB. I watched a game last night and my available high speed data was reduced by 571 MB.

This is baffling to me, because all the other streaming apps on the Binge On list, such as Neflix, YouTube, HBO Now, etc. do not use up my data. I even get a message on the android app suggesting that I delete the MLB app!

All replies

• magenta2717812

Re: MLB At Bat is using my data

I'm on Simple Choice North America 6GB Family Match

Here's the part addressing Binge On:

"On 6 GB, 10 GB, and Unlimited plans, enjoy unlimited video streaming from a choice of more than 60 of the top video streaming providers out there, such as Netflix, Hulu, HBO, ESPN, Showtime, Starz, and more, all at no extra charge and without ever using your high-speed data."

• tidbits

Are you sure it's streaming at 480P or lower.  If it streams at anything higher than that any of the BingeOn  stuff will count towards your data.  Some things will also count because it's not streaming.  For example music album art would count towards data, but listening to the song will not. 

I am sure a T-Mobile rep will check to see if MLB did an update that messed up BingeOn and probably needs to address it with them if everything is done correctly by the end user(you).  Double check everything you can.

2 of 2 people found this helpful
            • magenta2717812

Thank you. I did call T-Mobile last month complaining that the app used 2.8GB of my 6GB allotment, but never heard back from them.

I'll try again. BTW, the app has a "High Quality Streaming" option that is set to "Wi-Fi only". Maybe the app is faulty and using high quality streaming at all times, but I kind of doubt it. The problem is happening on two different phones, also. Very strange.

• barcodeable

I have a 6GB data plan with Binge-On activated and I also stream MLB atbat... I haven't noticed any extra data being consumed. I understand the app uses some data due to the data that is being transmitted onscreen if you have the scores displayed, roster info on screen, etc., But i know when my Binge-On is activated because at times the players look all fuzzy as if I need glasses to recognize anybody.... after about a minute the picture quality clears up, but I recognize when its low quality lol...

do some testing and check your usage details on your T-Mobile account to see what's going on with your app.

• tmo_chris

Just checking in here to see how things are going? Did you end up checking back with the support teams? We have a process in place to correct these types of Binge On discrepancies.

• tmo_marissa

Hiya! Just wanted to touch base with you -- as Chris mentioned, one of our teams with account access should be able to review this if necessary. How are things going?

- Marissa

• barcodeable

Check to see if you turned the High Quality Streaming (((off))) on the MLB AtBat app. I use the apple version of atbat (ipad) ... if you have the android version of the app.... i can post where you can change the video quality there too.... as soon as my android phone recharges .

i hope this was helpful....

IMG_2650.PNG

IMG_2651.PNG

1 of 1 people found this helpful
                      • magenta2717812

Thank you, as I wrote in an earlier post, "... the app has a "High Quality Streaming" option that is set to "Wi-Fi only". Maybe the app is faulty and using high quality streaming at all times, but I kind of doubt it. The problem is happening on two different phones, also. Very strange."

To the others that replied, thank you for your interest. To be honest, I stopped using the app rather than call again and explain the situation again to reps who really don't seem to understand what I'm talking about.

But now the baseball post season is here and the need to use the app has arisen again. So this time when I use it, I'll monitor it carefully and call support immediately if the app again uses part of my 6 GB.

I will report back if necessary - thank you all for your continued interest.