Government Discount and Simple Choice Plan

impdust

Does anyone have anything that says which simple choice plans the Government Discount applies to.  Specifically I'm curious about the "SC NA UTT+10GB each 2 Lines" simple choice rate plan?  Does anyone know the magic words to get this put back on the account?

I've been getting the T-Mobile government discount for probably over a decade, and specifically getting it with that rate plan for at least two years.  Suddenly in April the discount dropped off.  I called and was told to I had to re-validate with T-Mobile Advantage which I've done since then twice now, and my bill clearly shows my employer.  I saw a couple threads on here and other websites where it dropped off other people's bills around April and some said they managed to get the discount back on their account eventually with a lot of calling.

The T-Mobile Advantage website specifically says it applies to Simple Choice Plans.  My T-Mobile doesn't list any other Simple Choice Plans I can switch to, but the Rep I talked to on the phone today said she could switch me, but none would be cheaper even with the discount.  I asked the Rep if there was anyway to escalate this since what she was telling me doesn't match any of the written information I could find, but she said there wasn't a way.  She did say she had a document stating that plan wasn't eligible, but couldn't provide it to me.

Seems like if the discount didn't apply the least T-Mobile could have done is sent me an email explaining why the discount was being removed.  They have no problem spamming me several times a week to upgrade my phone or change plans.

All replies

• tidbits

Re: Government Discount and Simple Choice Plan

You have to talk to the guy who set up the discount from your company.  They negotiate what you can and can not get.  Our company gets a discount but it's for the top and bottom plans and not addons with the current plans.  On old plans it only covers unlimited data plans and base plans now and not the data addons like it used to.

2 of 2 people found this helpful
          • impdust

Thank you for the response.  I suspect it'll be hard to figure out who the guy is for the Army, if there is even one.  I suspect T-Mobile may have just offered government discounts versus the company program where they negotiate that with the companies, but I'll do some digging and see what I can find.

• tidbits

I don't know who your guy is, but I do work for the DoD and that's what it is for me.  It recently changed, and some promotional plans I don't get discount on because they are already heavily discounted compared to what you would have paid if the plan wasn't offered.  I will see if I can find mine and see if he also does the branches or if they have their own guy.

2 of 2 people found this helpful
                  • impdust

I took a look at NETCOM's Wireless Blanket Purchase Agreement with T-Mobile, but it doesn't mention the T-Mobile advantage program or anything dealing with personal cell phone service, so it's either in a different contract or just something T-Mobile does.  I don't like how T-Mobile's published information contradict the the verbal information I'm getting.  Just talking out loud, but it would be nice if they would just add a T-Mobile advantage section to the bill that spells it out.

I don't know that there is a correct answer to my question, so I'll go ahead and mark your first response as the correct answer.  Thanks again for you help.

• tmo_marissa

Howdy, impdust! I'm sorry to read about this -- it definitely is a confusing situation to be in. When I review the internal documents for that plan type, it shows that the Simple Choice North America promotional 10GB family plan isn't eligible for monthly discounts. To be honest, I'm at a loss as to how the discount didn't drop off when you switched to this plan -- although I wouldn't want you back-charged, it would have at least been less bizarre than having it suddenly fall off during re-validation. I definitely hear your point regarding notification of this change, and will forward that feedback. Thanks for taking the time to share your experience here.

- Marissa

• impdust

Thanks for taking the time to look into it Marissa.  Even better than it dropping off right away would have been to receive a warning before hand that the change would remove the discount, but based on the fact things like this don't get caught until audits years later it sounds like T-Mobile's system isn't setup to handle it.