Not Registered On Network - Samsung Galaxy J7

magenta2697109

Constantly get a Not Registered On Network message when I try to use my Samsung Galaxy J7.

Cannot make or receive calls without restarting or doing a power off/on. Sometimes I have to repeat restart a few times.

Problem has been ongoing ever since I switched to T-Mobile in September of 2016.

Phone has been replaced once under warranty and second warranty replacement phone is on the way.

Several LONG phone calls to Customer Care have not resulted in any change to the problem.

Often phone also appears to be dialing but you never hear the 'connected to' beeps first. After about 30 seconds an "Out Of Service Area" message appears.

Or the call just "ends".

Phone is set to WiFi calling due to extremely weak Cell Signal at my location. Personal CellSpot Wireless Router provided by T-Mobile is in use.

No other WiFi devices are connected to this router.

I have zero confidence that another phone will fix the problem, everyone just seems to be grasping at straws.

Anybody else having this problem?

Thanks in advance.

All replies

• drnewcomb2

Just so I make sure I understand, this issue is with WiFi Calling at home? How does the phone perform when you are in an area with a good T-Mobile signal?

If the problem is with one location, I'd ask is the WiFi Calling Preferences are set to WiFi preferred or Cellular preferred? What brand of WiFi router are you using?

1 of 1 people found this helpful
          • magenta2697109

>> Just so I make sure I understand, this issue is with WiFi Calling at home? How does the phone perform when you are in an area with a good T-Mobile signal?

Yes, being retired I spend most of my time here at home so that is where the phone is most of the time as well.

When I am away from home, it usually performs well but I have had 'Not Registered' problems away from home - both cellular and wifi.

>> If the problem is with one location, I'd ask is the WiFi Calling Preferences are set to WiFi preferred or Cellular preferred? What brand of WiFi router are you using?

I leave the phone set to WiFi Calling Preferred. Customer Care Technician had me turn off WiFi Calling and preference and switch to Cellular - problem became much worse and phone was basically totally useless.

The Wifi router is branded "T-Mobile" and is made by Asus. It came from T-Mobile.

• drnewcomb2

I've found an issue with WiFi Calling: the system doesn't seem capable of picking the better of the two option. If the phone is in Cellular Preferred, it means that it will hold onto the cellular signal as long as one is detectable. Same for WiFi Preferred; it will hold onto the WiFi signal even if it's not really usable. Sometimes the quality of the router is an issue. Cheap routers produce poor WiFi Calling performance. This is one reason why T-Mobile loans high-quality routers to their customers who request them.

1 of 1 people found this helpful
                • tmo_marissa

Hey, magenta2697109! Just wanted to check in and see if you'd had a chance to take a look at Chris's reply and walk through the Wi-Fi calling troubleshooting steps. How are things going for you?

- Marissa

• magenta2697109

See comments. New phone didn't help. Don't know what to do next.

• tmo_chris

I am very sorry to hear that you are still having issues and that a replacement phone did not completely resolve the issue. You said that you only got the Not Registered message one time since Thursday? To me, this sounds like a coverage issue as you have already had the SIM and phone replaced. I know you ran a speed test and your speeds are more than enough for Wi-Fi calling but have you had the chance to see if you get this error when connected to a different Wi-Fi network?

• magenta2697109

I have not had the problem while connected to other networks.

My wife's phone does not have the "Not Registered On Network" problem.

• magenta2697109

Tonight I tried to make a call. Did not get the 3 note connection tone. Wavy line on screen but after about 30 seconds it said "Out of service area".

I was in the room were I usually am about 10 unobstructed feet from the wifi router.

Definitely not a happy customer - but everything T-Mobile suggests benefits them and does not fix the problem.

• dragon1562

I honestly don't think T-mobile or any person wants you to be unhappy. I personally do not know how to fix your issue but it sounds like something software related to the J7 since your wife's phone does not experience any issue when in the same area. The only thing I can ask is if the device started experience this after a update or something along those lines.

Honestly though I would try reseting your router by turning it off and unplugging it for 40secs or so. Then power it back on. Sometimes routers can get a bit wonky and maybe that is the issue for you since you said it is only with that connection.

• tmo_chris

Your situation is far from normal so it is proving hard to pinpoint that root cause. Not having the issue on another Wi-Fi network points to an issue with your specific Wi-Fi network. Having 2 separate phones on the same Wi-Fi network where yours is the only one having the issue points to a problem with your specific phone. Having the same issue on your replacement phone points back to the Wi-Fi network. I understand that this issue is quite frustrating but rest assured that we are not trying to provide solutions that only benefit us, we are simply trying to find the root cause of the issue.

Since you did not have this issue on another Wi-Fi network and constantly get the error when connected to your specific Wi-Fi network, I believe the issue is indeed related to your home network even though your Wife's phone does not have the issue. There is a combination of things I want you to try with your phone and with your network. As dragon1562 mentioned, try resetting your router by unplugging it for 45 seconds to 1 min. When it comes back on, delete the saved Wi-Fi profile from your phone and reconnect to the network fresh. Once connected, ensure that W-Fi calling is enabled and attempt to place a call again.

• magenta2697109

My network has been reset several times throughout the troubleshooting process.

I logged into the network "fresh" when I brought the new phone home.

After login all tested (to test I call somebody) good.

Several hours later I picked up the phone, it said T-Mobile in the upper left corner.

I swiped the screen, but did not have the wifi calling icon in the upper left corner.

Tried to make a call and got the Not Registered on Network message.

Settings said I was connected to my router.

Turned phone off and removed battery. Reinstalled battery and turned phone on.

Went to bed, when I got up in the morning the phone was logged onto the network and was working as it was supposed to.

• magenta2697109

And...

I got a call this morning at 10:57 AM. Phone worked.

Just tried to make a call at 1:09 PM - the wifi call icon was in the left corner and turned green when I dialed.

Did not have the 3 note connect notification.

Dialing screen appeared with the wavy line. After about 30 seconds it said call ended. And the wifi calling icon disappeared from the left corner of the screen.

Turned phone off, waited, and turned back on. Waited, and redialed the call - the call went through.

• tmo_chris

Okay, so it sounds like your phone is losing its connection to Wi-Fi calling and rebooting the phone forces it to register again. The "Not registered on network" message is something that will pop up when your phone is not connected to Wi-Fi calling and is attempting to use the cellular network that is not there due to no signal.

In this situation, since you have replaced your phone and confirmed that this does not happen on other Wi-Fi networks, I suggest that you contact us so that we can look into replacement options for your router as this is the one that we sent you. Please Contact Us when you have a moment.

• magenta2697109

Chris - First have you added all this to the file that the Customer Care people see when I call? If not, would you do so? That way I won't have to explain to them who came up with the idea to replace the router.

Second - three people tried to call me today. My phone never rang and all I got was their Voicemail message.

The information from the message header tells me that the first caller called about 8:20 AM while the phone was connected to my wifi router. The call didn't come through, but the Voicemail did.

The other two calls happened around 11:05 AM while I was away from home and the phone was not connected to a wifi network. The calls did not come through, but the Voicemail did.

I was able to make a return wifi-call for the first call, but did not try to return the other calls.

• tmo_chris

Here on a user forum, we, the Community Managers, do not have account access to customer accounts so I would not be able to add this info to your account. You can however direct the person you speak with to this thread so they can see all the troubleshooting and process of elimination we have done. They will be able to pull up the thread and see everything we talked about. If you prefer, you can use the Facebook/Twitter links in my signature to speak with our social support team T-Force and you can link them to this thread.

As for the continued issues you are having, you may be missing these calls due to your phone not having a connection to Wi-Fi calling. The VM notifications will come in just as an SMS message would if the phone restored its connection for even a brief moment.

• magenta2697109

Dragon1562 - Are you part of the T-Mobile support staff?

There are more devices in the house that use wifi. None of them are having connectivity issues.

In your reply you say the J7 is probably the cause. But tmo_chris says the wifi network is at fault. Then he said the phone is at fault. Then he said the network is at fault.

Now I am even more confused - and yet no one has mentioned the "Out of service area" messages that frequently appear as well.

• tmo_chris

Thanks for all the additional information! Wi-Fi calling can be tricky but it is a fairly simple setup. When you see this error, does your phone show that it is still connected to Wi-Fi? If you have a moment, please take a look at these steps and see if helps improved the consistency. 

• magenta2697109

Customer Care had me do some of it, but I don't know what all they did when they connected to my phone.

They sent out a refurbished warranty replacement phone - Not registered on Network has appeared once since Thursday.

Speedtest = 743.33 down and 7.88 up.

It is apparent problem still exists, but I am so frustrated with how T-mobile has handled everything that I have not decided what to do next.

Different phone??? Different carrier??? Time will tell, I am not a happy customer.

• dragon1562

Well to start I have never personally had this issue and have not seen it occur across the forms. I would personally like to ask if you have any other phones for reference or if you know anyone else that uses T-mobile that could try coming to the coverage area with the issue. If they also get the problem of not being able to register to the network when connected to the wifi connection then there is probably something going wrong with how it is set up. In which case I would try a hard reset, and then a factory reset if that doesn't fix it.

Also as silly as this might sound I would see about swapping out your sim card and checking your APN settings on the device just to make sure they are all in good order. Also make sure your account is good standing (which i'm sure it is) the next time your on the phone with support.

I know this seems like a lot but i'm just trying to narrow down the problem via the process of elimination. If possible attempt to answer drnewcomb2 questions since it will also clarify alot. Hope we can help resolve this for good but no promises as I'm just another customer like yourself.

• magenta2697109

>> I would personally like to ask if you have any other phones for reference or if you know anyone else that uses T-mobile that could try coming to the coverage area with the issue.

> My wifes phone is an HTC - have never seen the words "Not Registered" on it. It isn't a perfect phone, but the most frequent problem it has is a lack of memory when upgrading.

>> If they also get the problem of not being able to register to the network when connected to the wifi connection then there is probably something going wrong with how it is set up. In which case I would try a hard reset, and then a factory reset if that doesn't fix it.

> It doesn't say "Not Registered", but when the Customer Care Representative tried to call me on it, the call went straight to voicemail. Why??? diagnosis has ever been done. I turned the phone off and on and he was able to call. Customer Care has done many things and asked me to do many things - still not fixed.

>> Also as silly as this might sound I would see about swapping out your sim card and checking your APN settings on the device just to make sure they are all in good order. Also make sure your account is good standing (which i'm sure it is) the next time your on the phone with support.

> Original attempt to fix was replacing the SIM card. I don't know what APN settings are, but I would hope that the Customer Care techs would have reset them or had me do it.