Poor LTE Signal after updating to iOS 11

jjfjulia

After updating iOS from 10 to 11 (not bata version, officially released version) for my iPhone 7 Plus, Signal strength is only one bar or two in places where I used to get between -95 to -99. The area supposed to get 5 bar signal strength.

T-mobile tech service instructed my to re-install iOS 11, so I did, but that did not improve signal strength, I am still getting only one bar.

Has anyone experienced the same issue? Are there fix for this issue?

All replies

• tidbits

Re: Poor LTE Signal after updating to iOS 11

Are your speeds or service affected?  It might just be a cosmetic bug. 

• magenta2747922

Having a similar issue with my iPhone 6s.  Within the last few days my network connectivity has deteriorated significantly.  Call quality is very choppy, and I'm having isuses with calls not completing and texts not sending or receiving in a timely manner.  LTE seems to go in and out sporadically.  This is in an area where I have previously had great coverage.  I also have a Samsung S8 on T-Mobile and it works perfectly when used side-by-side with my iPhone.  The issues started for me a couple days ago while on iOS 10 and have not improved since updating to iOS 11. 

• jjfjulia

Hi, Thanks to all of you commenting on my post.

Here's the update on my case.

T-mobile Tech service notified me that T-mobile's engineer found no problems / issues on the network activities in my area. They ruled out signal issue on my case. Since my iPhone still getting one-bar signal strength, T-mobile will send me a signal booster.

Just FYI, I update iOS 11 to iOS 11.0.1 but still my iPhone showing one-bar.

I have checked iPhone discussion sites to see if someone having similar issues, but have not found comments / reports similar to my situation.

If I find any info I will come back here and post it.

• snn555

To all who have had issues after updating and have tried reboots and SIM swaps it may be possible that some settings or apps may not have optimized correctly and as such restoring the phone as a new device (not restore from back up) may be the last step or best suggestion. It seems to me that this is most likely a software issue and a fresh start might be the best approach despite the inconvenience of the process.

2 of 2 people found this helpful
              • magenta2775044

I have had the same issues.

• magenta1621309

yeah, and if the signal does not get better I'm going to drop them for version, tired of dropping calls

• magenta2839269

Same problem here With iPhone 6. Will connect to cell service temporarily then stop working. Poor sound quality. Have gone through all the steps recommended by T-Mobile and apple. Very frustrating. Sounds like this happened with the ios10 upgrade as well. Please fix.

• jenkweb

Same issue here, network and data connectivity has taken a complete nose dive with iOS11 and iphone 7. Coverage was fine before but now I barely get data coverage anywhere, just dead. Seems to be related to wifi transition to lte, once I'm out of wifi range the tmobile network is not responding or switching over, just get a "no internet connection" message. Talked with support, but they dropped my call. Please fix this.

• tmo_lauren

We're in contact with our team that works with Apple trying to get some answers. Nothing formally listed as a known issue, but definitely seems like there is something going on so we re working to get to the bottom of it!

-Lauren

• magenta2747922

I tried a few additional solutions with no progress.  My phone now displays

"No Service" at all times and will not connect to a mobile network.  If I

manually search for carriers in settings, it shows all the mobile networks

available, including T-Mobile, but I am unable to connect.  Here is what

else I have tried with no improvement:

- Factory reset while on iOS 11 with no restore

- Roll back to iOS 10.3.3

- SIM card from Verizon (still no service)

As a reminder my SIM card works perfectly in a different device at the same

location.  I am only able to use the phone at this point on Wi-Fi with

Wi-Fi calling enabled.

• jenkweb

Found that I can get an lte data connection if I turn my phone off before moving out of wifi range, then turn it back on when out of wifi range. If I move out of wifi range with the phone on, the phone will display 'lte' and full bars, but no data connection is established. Everything times out and says  'no internet connection" even though it appears connected. Might be the area I'm in, but had ZERO issues like this in iOS 10 with the same phone. This wifi to lte transition issue only came up after installing ios 11.

1 of 1 people found this helpful
                                  • duong322

I did not have any issues with my phone and this "no service" until I upgraded to ios 11.0.1 from 10.3.3.   I should have done a search to see all the problems and glitches with ios 11 with battery drain and now more stories of "no service" with tmobile network.  But besides that, Tmobile needs to start working with Apple for a fix that works instead of saying that it is the device and/or the phone is old.  Just like jenkweb said, I had ZERO issues with this on my iphone 6 with 10.3.3 less than a week or two ago.  Please keep us updated on a solution.

• magenta2858222

I’m having the same trouble as well. My signal has been perfect and even tonight has been normal. I sat At my desk while I updated from IOS10 to IOS11 and immediately noticed I keep searching and “no signal”. Occasionally I’ll get 1 bar LTE or E (which I NEVER got before at home). If I do get signal I try to turn off WiFi and send an iMessage and of course it won’t send. Then it will switch back to no service until I turn my WiFi back on. I’ve reset my phone and the network settings and still nothing. I’ve played with everything I could and no changes. I regret updating now. I’m frustrated with T-Mobile enough as it is. Now this is added to it.

and just to clarify, I had ZERO problems just 30 minutes ago So I know it’s not my phone.

• magenta2882636

Has there been any solution? My service just like everybody above is terrible after updating what is going on?

• rimas2049

Same problem here.  iPhone 6 upgraded to iOS 11 and all of a sudden the signal is weak to nonexistent.

• ycamerpus

My son's iPhone is having the same issue after the software upgrade. I find it very VERY hard to believe Apple has no clue what's going on.  The very same thing happened across multiple carriers when Apple published the iOS 9 update. I need an answer soon or for someone to replace the phone with a working model at no cost to us.

• tmo_lauren

I went ahead and filed a ticket with our Apple contact and this is the response we received:

"We haven't heard anything from Apple on this. They did release a software update with a non-descript "Bug fixes and security improvements" as the updates, so it's possible there were some improvements with that. Outside of that, we'll want to troubleshoot normally and file tickets so engineers can take a look."

I know that's response doesn't have any real answers, but it is confirmed Apple hasn't recognized this as a known issue, so the best course of action at this point is to go ahead and contact a ticket so there is a paper trail to send off to Apple recording the issues!

Thank you!

-Lauren

• magenta2920179

I just switched from Verizon to TMobile and our iPhone 6 phones are having the same issue...Suddenly we have a terrible signal strength. We've spent hours with Tmobile and I even checked with Verizon. But signal should be good...and it's not and we get no service off and on all day. Never had a problem with Verizon signal. Very frustrating. Especially as a brand new customer. We are being sent a signal booster but...I'm not sure how effective that will be. I've done multiple resets of network settings, the local TMobile staff did one on the two phones...but all 5 lines are having this same lack of signal issue...and seems to be tied to the iOS update. Maddening.

• tmo_lauren

We're still searching for answers and updates, it does more and more seem to be impacting all carriers and an Apple issue, however they still haven't released any info or recognized the problem as a known issue.

-Lauren

• magenta2949748

I have the 6s plus and am experiencing the same issues as listed above. It’s maddening to pay almost 1k for a phone plus monthly fees for a phone that works less than 50% of the time. I have two boosters in my house from T-Mobile (1 on each floor) and they do nothing to resolve the issue. I’ve tried calling customer care but the call gets disconnected before I can even speak to a rep. But it doesnt sound like they have an answer anyway from reading this forum.

• tmo_lauren

There's not a solid answer yet.

I have already filed tickets, but since we are getting more and more reports, I would suggest contacting care and having a ticket filed. The more tickets are filed, the more likely they are to identify it as a problem and start working on a solution.

I know calls are dropping for y'all, but we have 24 hour support on FB and Twitter who can file for you online, and you can copy and paste your issue descriptions here or share the thread so you aren't repeating.

We're gonna keep seeing what we can find from our end.

Thank you!

-Lauren

• ychu

We have one bar coverage on all our iPhone 7 (10.3.3 and 11.0.3) and Androids phones, and t-mobile send us a cellspot.  The cellspot will only help the Androids, NOT the iPhones.  On the Androids phone it went up to 4 bars, but iPhone still get one bar.

The weird part is that if I reboot my iPhone, it will get full 5 bars at first, but then it will slowly loose one bar at a time for every 10 seconds, till it goes down to one again.

I have a ticket with support for this issue too!

PLEASE FIX!!!

• ychu

Add more information to the pot.

I put the SIM in my old iPhone 5s with 11.0.3 and get 4 bars and does not drop to one.  Then I put the same SIM into iPhone 5 with 8.x.x, it only gets one bar.

Power cycle the cellspot and on the iPhone 5s I can see the bars drop to one and then back up to 4.  So only the 5s and he androids is linked to the cellspot.

?????

• snoopert

I live in Atlanta.  Am experiencing the exact same issues.  i also just recently updated my apple software.  That occurred just before I switched from ATT to TMobile. So, I thought my lack of a signal was a carrier coverage issue (in my residential area, which is inside the city) - until its brutally obvious I'm experiencing a lack of connecting and drop calls from all areas within the city.  Yesterday I drove literally from the top of North East to the bottom of South East Atl  (square inside the city, not in suburbs or woodland areas) and attempted to call a surgery center 9 times. I desperately needed better directions. Regardless of where my car was... I could not secure a connection on my TMobile connection.  Incredibly frustrating! Though my data connection, the map function, was just fine.  So, it's definitely a cellular issue with my phone handshaking w Tmobile towers.  This is a safety issue.  What if a 911 call is required? I also called yesterday to Tmobile to trouble shoot and open a claim ticket.  A booster is on its way... but that, if it works, only satisfies the issue of talking at my house.  Which now can only be secured by standing on my noisy back porch.  Thank u Tmobole for any efforts your tech team can do to remedy this!

1 of 1 people found this helpful
                                                        • ben688

I'm in Atlanta too and have been suffering terrible signal loss / signal strength issues on my iPhone 7. Seems to have started with upgrade to iOS 11.0 and has gotten a lot worse with iOS 11.1. Get No Service messages, have to reboot the phone to get cell signal again, then signal is lost minutes later. GPS seems to also fail when cell signal is lost.

• magenta2043773

Just wanted to say I'm also having the problem after the iOS 11.1 upgrade. I get little to no service depending on where I am. No problems over WiFi of course...just when connecting to cell service.

• marcelavig

Same problem here!! any update??

• sokoloa

I have also experience the same problem since iOS upgrade. On iPhone 7 an iPhone 8. The fix for me is to turn off wi-fi and then i get 3 bars from only 1. I am not sure how this relates but iN my case this band-aid works.

• magenta3270582

What is the fix for this .. t mobile store just sold me a new phone

now I see this and it’s not a bad phone and an iOS update issue

T-Mobile over sold me a new phone when I didn’t need one

I want them to credit my account

• cjsgirl77

I'm having similar issues. Hubby's S8 has full bars and makes crystal clear calls. My I phone 7+ rarely ever has more than 2 bars even in metro Phoenix. We do have a booster b that hubby needs to install that should help at home but seriously I'm about to switch carriers.

• kellyannmagenta

My daughter's iPhone 6 is having the same No Service issue.  I've tried most everything and last night I updated to ios 11.1.2.  After the upgrade we received a cellular signal and all was good.  This morning the phone is back to No Service.  This is a big issue and i'm surprised Apple and Tmobile are not doing more about it.  At some point customers will get fed up and move to different vendors.  I figure the more people that post the more attention it will receive.

• mrgtl

I have an iPhone 6s and my wife has a 6.  For the last 2 months data reception away from wifi has veried from terrible to non-existent.  We have downloaded all the updates from apple with no change.

I have spoken to T Mobile and went thru lots of changing this and that to no avail.  I have read many posts and online discussions, and folks are very frustrated their phones don’t simply just work.  We pay hundreds and often thousands of dollars for cell phines and service that we expect to work.  Neither T Mobile nor apple have said “here is this is the problem and this is the fix”.  Maybe it’s time to look at alternatives for both.

• snoopert

Hello!  I replied to this blog on Nov. 7th --- saying I'm experiencing "little to no signal" after uploading Apple updates from 11.1 forward.  I live in downtown Atlanta, have traveled from one end of our city to the other end .. and have had this issue follow me.  So, it's not an issue of being in a "pocket with no signal."

To add: Recently I traveled to Greenville, SC and my T-Mobile connection was MARVELOUS.  SO, I'd like to encourage all replying to his blog to STATE YOUR CITY.  Us Atlantans are in ATT's hub.  I've had suspicions that ATT is squeezing our their competitors with tricks with cell towers.  ????  However, that theory holds little water if this issue is pervasive throughout the US.

For your homes, I got T-Mobile's booster and it has worked beautifully.  Before, I could only take phone calls on my back porch! (BBBhhhrrrr).  

TO TMobile :

- Many prospective customers deciding whether to switch to your service have to be SEEING THIS BLOG.  I found it QUICKLY with a superficial internet search.

- *** All of us are consistently saying troubles began AFTER we upgraded to Apple's 11.1. ***

- We now cannot reverse that action.  The only way out of the box is not move to another carrier. 

- I also see this as a matter of SAFETY in addition to inconvenience.  What if an emergency call is required?

- This REALLY needs to be give hearty attention... and can a TMobile tech join this blog?

• ychu

I have the Personal CellSpot 4G LTE Signal Booster from T-Mobile for free, and it did not help with our iPhone 7's.  It is still getting 1 bar with drop calls!

However, the Androids phones are now getting 4 to 5 bars with very high download speed!

TO snoopert, Do you have the booster that connects to the internet or to the cell signals as a repeater?  Which iPhone do you have?  I explained the connection issue with the booster between our iPhone 7 and the Androids phone to T-Mobile, and they are clueless as why...  LOL

• kellyannmagenta

To follow up from yesterday's post, my daughter updated to ios 11.2 and so far cellular service is working fine.  There is no mention of this issue on the release notes and although it is too early to tell, I am hopeful this did the trick.

Can someone else try upgrading and report back on the post?