Florida Outages?

magenta2648355

I have no T-Mobile service in Wesley Chapel in Pasco County, 33544.  (We did not even lose electric power during the hurricane.)  My iPhone sees AT&T but no T-Mobile. When will service be restored?

All replies

• tmo_chris

Re: Florida Outages?

Hey there! I just took a look at the area and I do see that the local tower is down right now but looking at the work logs, I can see that they are actively working on it right now so it should not be much longer. We really appreciate your patience!

1 of 1 people found this helpful
          • rwh2016

My T-Mobile services (Voice/Text/Data) went out the morning of September 9th during Hurricane Irma.  Services were not restored until the morning of September 13th. Several people I know or were told and lived in different areas also had no T-Mobile services.  Others who had AT&T, Verizon, and Tracfone told me they never lost services.  Will T-Mobile be issuing credits for the duration of the outage?  What exactly happened to T-Mobile services that did not seem to occur as widespread as other providers?

• drnewcomb2

rwh2016 wrote:

What exactly happened to T-Mobile services that did not seem to occur as widespread as other providers?

T-Mobile tends to operate a "leaner" network than other carriers. They've found a lot of ways to save money, which is one reason why they have better rates. One way to save are to scrimp on backup power. Battery packs will get a site through 95% of power failures. Generators are only needed in 5% of events. You save money by not installing generators. You can also save a lot of money going around the LEC's, usually outrageous, rates for backhaul and getting it from a competitor, such as the local cable company or a secondary fiber provider. The down-side is that this backhaul is often not as well hardened against storms and power outages.

T-Mobile need to do more to harden their network against events like power outages, storms, earthquake (dare I say "EMP"?).  They need generators and microwave backahul at macro and low-band sites to maintain a minimal network during disasters. They can also bite but bullet and unblock AT&T's LACs in the affected area and allow roaming, until they get their network back up. I checked the three T-Mobile sites around my home and they all have generators. I understand this is not the usual situation.

1 of 1 people found this helpful
                • tmo_chris

Hey rwh2016,

I am glad to hear that you are safe! I am very sorry for the service interruption! We would love to take a closer look at your account and see what options are available for you. Please Contact Us when you have a spare moment.

As for why other carriers may have fared better in specific areas, I cannot really say as there are a ton of variables. What I can assure you is that our crews do everything possible to get service up and running for everyone in affected areas as soon as conditions allow, and the number of sites down improved by the hour as they got our generators up and running and repair any damage.