Apple Watch $10/mo

djaksha

Just wanted to say I am disappointed that T-Mobile is wanting to charge $10/month for connecting the new LTE Apple Watch.  The watch only uses

the LTE connection if it is away from the iPhone.  Uses the same number, and a VERY small amount of bandwidth.  Almost never will the two devices be used at the same time.   T-mobile should drop this charge and allow us to just use the connection we already pay for with the phone.  If they do that, I'll order a new watch today from T-mobile!

Dave

All replies

• tidbits

Re: Apple Watch $10/mo

They will not.  You are paying for your phone, and not the watch in terms of connection.  Also with the way it is setup you don't always have to carry your phone with you. I am guessing you are not going to pick up a watch ever since all carriers including the smaller carriers charge for wearables to be connected to their network.

1 of 1 people found this helpful
        • djaksha

I thought this was the un-carrier?  Just because everyone else charges $10/mo does not mean T-Mobile should follow.

The Apple Watch is not equivalent to adding an iPad.  The iPad is another computer on top of your iPhone account.  The watch

is used essentially as a alternative to the phone.  Normally the two are not use at the same time.  I could see $5/mo for minimal data usage and administrative fees, but $10/mo is just too much.

• tidbits

They charge the same for more than their competitors do so in essence they are not just charges that amount because everyone else is.  You can do a lot with a watch(I have owned one), and I use roughly 100 minute, 200 text, 2GB  average a month with my watch.  I like the fact I have the freedom to leave my phone at home, and not take it with me everywhere.  Also gets rid of two numbers to reach me by and have my friends and family remember I have two numbers. 

• djaksha

My...2GB/mo with your Apple Watch?  You have been a busy boy.  If you were using an Apple Watch prior to the Watch 3 then you were

in fact using your iPhones cell connection.  I checked my Apple Watch usage just now, and its about 20 MB.  A couple of calls to other owners show a high usage of about 100 MB.

If you are talking about a Apple Watch 3, then such usage is possible, but I suppect atypical. Most people would continue to use there iPhone for the vast majority of the data usage, and only a small portion would be from the standalone use of the watch. 

• tidbits

I am using an Android watch which has the same functions as Apple Watch 3 just a few years earlier.  You don't understand what your watch can do or even played with everything it can do.