Purchased New S8+ From T-Mobile before Travelling

snapzak

Hey members

I purchased a new S8 from T-Mobile a few weeks back before a trip to Canada that was going to be short but has now turned long... In short, the phone doesn't work here because it's network locked to T-Mobile and I never got to activate my T-Mobile Sim with the phone because I left the next day (thinking I could use it instantly abroad). The staff at the store I purchased the phone said "You can use it in Canada without problems" BUT failed to mention it would first need to be activated, used for at least a month in the US before heading over.

Now I'm left in the dark as I can't call out and my new local SIM with Virgin charges me a tonne to sit on the phone with customer support that... well doesn't support me in the end.

My question is:

1. How Can I unlock my S8+ while abroad in Canada?

This is a new expensive phone collecting dust, please help me resolve this; I'm sure I'm not the only one.

Cheers

All replies

• gramps28

You need to meet the requirements in the link below.

Unlock your mobile wireless device

If you meet the requirements then you can contact T-Force through social media to request the

code.

Contact Us

• snapzak

That's great and I'm sure they'll assist me with meeting the unlock terms, now how to get T-Mobile to call me directly with my other carrier now in Canada... as I've requested calls and I can't afford to keep calling them from "abroad" on my current plan with Virgin.... the phone continues to collect dust.

At this point, I just want to sell the phone and move on.

• stevetjr

The unlocking might be tough since it was never activated and used on the TMO network like the policy that gramps28 mentioned.

I am not sure where the "month" deal comes in since i have had new phones and roamed internationally sooner than 30 days and haven't had an issue, my guess is they are being conservative in how long once the SIM has been activated before it propagates (the IMEI and SIM) out to all their roaming partners systems.

Were you planning on using the TMO One North American roaming deal or was the intent all along to unlock and use a local SIM?  If you intent was to use a post paid TMO SC Or TMO One plan that has the free North American roaming is there anyone you can send the phone/SIM to back in the US and have them just activate it on the TMO network then ship it back to you?

1 of 1 people found this helpful
              • snapzak

Thanks for the input, I could always take a trip to Seattle but I'm trying to correct this on TMO costs as it appears the sales staff at the store was giving me all the answers I needed to hear just so I would purchase.... they forgot to mention the facts and discuss my phone would first need to be registered in America before travelling. I wasn't aware that I would stay here for so long but that's beside the point I was supposed to be able to use this phone and TMO plan instantly on arrival in Vancouver. As you can imagine the phone and plan cost near $1,000 in store and to have it sit and do nothing depresses me. I usually don't reach into forums but all the calls I've made means I'm looking for answers anywhere. I just want to recover some of the money lost here and move on now,  as I have a local sim with my old phone.

Sad really, I wish this could have worked the way I was told it would.

Cheers

• drnewcomb2

OK. Let me see if I understand. You have T-Mobile postpaid service. You bought a new S8 and went to Canada. Do you have your old phone? Does it work? What model is the old phone? What size SIM does it use?

• snapzak

I'm not sure why you need this information but sure if you can help:

Correct I was on a postpaid plan and purchased a new S8+ from T-Mobile. I do have my old phone and no the TMO sim doesn't work at all now as it appears my account has been shut down (I can't login anymore). My old phone is also an S8+ from Hong Kong,  meaning they're the same sim.

Cheers

• drnewcomb2

snapzak wrote:

I'm not sure why you need this information but sure if you can help:

Correct I was on a postpaid plan and purchased a new S8+ from T-Mobile. I do have my old phone and no the TMO sim doesn't work at all now as it appears my account has been shut down (I can't login anymore). My old phone is also an S8+ from Hong Kong, meaning they're the same sim.

Cheers

What I was interested in knowing was if you could transfer the T-Mobile SIM from your old phone to your new phone. If the old phone used a mini-SIM and the new phone used a nano, this could be difficult. AFAIK, there's not really a phone "activation" with T-Mobile like there is with Sprint or Verizon. I've kind of lost track of the thread and don't understand why your T-Mobile account would be locked unless there was some issue with payment.

• j.a.r.v.i.s

Why do you need to unlock the phone - if you got T Mobile ONE plan, Canada and Mexico are included in your plan (full LTE and all texting and calling unlimited)  New phones usually are activated with a T Mobile SIM when you leave the store...so not sure why you would need another SIM or to unlock the phone.

• tmo_chris

Hey snapzak,

It looks like many o' our community hands chimed in here t' help. I wanted t' check in wit' ye t' see if ye had any luck gettin' yer device unlocked?

International Talk Like a Pirate Day

• snapzak

Thanks for following up Chris

No, unfortunately, my phone is still locked and I can't use it

• tmo_chris

Do you have or did you ever have an account with us? In order for us to unlock this phone, it would have had to have been used on our network. Depending on what type of account you have or had, there may be some additional requirements. I know that you said calling our care teams is not an option due to the roaming costs but if you have a Facebook or Twitter account, you can reach out to our T-Force team using the links in my signature. They will be able to assist you via written correspondence and look at what options are available.