DIGITS does not work over Bluetooth? :-O

debjitjdv

tmo_chris evanmf

I was trying to use DIGITS Android app (version 1.1.13) in my Nexus 6 (Android 7.1.1 with Aug'17 Security Patch) and my Nexus 6 was paired with my car's hands-free Bluetooth. I tried to make a call from DIGITS app and guess what? The call audio was not getting routed through car Bluetooth whereas call using primary sim card was. Does not DIGITS support call audio routing over Bluetooth? Really????? This is a major potential flaw and safety hazard. Don't you think so? I never cared about this since I use S7 Edge mostly which works over Bluetooth via its integrated DIGITS flawlessly. This is a major flaw. Please say that I am wrong and DIGITS works over Bluetooth. If not please please make this a high priority fix.

All replies

• tmo_chris

Re: DIGITS does not work over Bluetooth? :-O

I am going to get clarification on this. I will reply back to you here as soon as I find out.

• tmo_chris

Hey debjitjdv,

Looks like our engineers were able to reach out to you on this one. In the last email I saw from them, they said they were going to try and reproduce your specific scenario. Here is what they said:

Incoming is working fine, for outgoing you have to switch to BT in the call screen. I don’t see any issue in Data Mode (both incoming and outgoing are working fine)

Looks like issue is with native device, when calling in Cellular Mode (Minutes and Data) call goes through native device and app has no control on how native sends it.

When using data mode (controlled by app), it works fine. We don’t see an issue with Samsung, LG and iPhone while using digits app.

I hope this helps! Please let me know if not.

• debjitjdv

tmo_chris

yes they reached out to me and we did some experiments separately. The diagnosis you wrote is correct but the reason was not. We identified that it was an issue with how DIGITS acts with Native Android Core dialer. The problem stays in Samsung device as well with DIGITS app. I explained that to the engineer who reached to me. This problem is specific to Android core + Native dialer in minutes mode irrespective of Samsung or LG or Nexus. Since Minutes mode is more reliable for communication, the engineer told me that he will look into that to see if they can fix the issue.

1 of 1 people found this helpful
                • tmo_chris

Thanks for the update debjitjdv. Since you are a bit more familiar with the options, do you see anything that allen904 can do to work around his issue?

• debjitjdv

tmo_chris I like your makeover. You look like a don now..

allen904

As of now, you cannot do anything. Apparently, it seems that in the minute mode, Android is not liking something about the DIGITS app and hence when the call is routed via the Native Android Dialing App, the call is not being routed through BT rather goes via phone's earpiece. The engineer who contacted me was able to create the scenario and they are aware of it. They are looking into it. This problem is exclusive to Android DIGITS app. in iOS DIGITS app, the call gets routed via BT. If I have an update or if I hear back from the engineers, I shall keep posted.

2 of 2 people found this helpful
                • allen904

I have the same problem using the Digits Android app in my car on my Verizon Moto Z Play via Bluetooth. Calls to my Digits line work fine using Bluetooth. However, attempts to call out using Digits show on my car's display, but the audio does not connect via the car's microphone or speakers.

• allen904

Bluetooth through my car's mike/speaker system now works on my Moto Z Play with the latest version of the Android Digits app.

Good job, T-Mo!