Coverage concerns

magenta2620799

As a recent subscriber to T-Mobile, I need to be completely honest in this assessment.  Overall, I think I will enjoy T-Mobile and the Samsung Galaxy S8+.  However, where it seems that I would benefit the most in utilizing the services is where the problem lies.  Stennis Space Center, MS 39529 has a diverse group of individuals, Scientists, Engineers, and Psychologist who typically relies on service at a moment's notice.  In this particular case is where T-Mobile does not meet the mark.  In my opinion, this is a location where it would be very beneficial for T-Mobile to somehow, some way, increase the signal strength of their network in this location because it causes 2 major issues.  It allows individuals who may want to make the switch, just as I did, to remain with whatever carrier they have (AT&T, Verizon, etc.),simply for that fact alone as there is a tremendous amount of cell phone use in this area.  Also, it's a very potential detriment to T-Mobile because it can potentially cause a drop of customers in this particular area.  If you take a survey, most individuals have the most need for their cell phones to perform well when they are at work and not at home because of the availability of wifi connectivity at home in many cases.  Whether it's to get that important phone call at work from the baby sitter, family emergency, etc., and to not be afforded that opportunity during such a critical junction is a major failure in my opinion, especially when you factor in someone making a switch in carriers because of what was erroneously conveyed to them about the coverage and carrier they recently made the switch to.  I would strongly urge T-Mobile to consider increasing the signal strength in this area as it will improve the profit margin for T-Mobile as well as increase customer satisfaction.

All replies

• 916-496-0723

Re: Coverage concerns

I agree. I carry a verizon hotspot when traveling for emergencies. It always has a connection even when I get zero signal on my phone.

1 of 1 people found this helpful
        • drnewcomb2

I had T-Mobile for about 9 years while working at SSC. The only way it worked for me was that I worked in Bldg. 1003 and was not allowed to have my phone turned on while inside the building (I had a phone with no camera). Before I got out of my car I'd forward my incoming calls to my desk phone and then when I got back in the car I'd cancel the forward.

I've complained and griped about T-Mobile's (non-)service at SSC for 17 years. I've even received replies from the Southern Regional VP for engineering, admitting that their service at SSC stinks but they didn't provide any indication that they were going to make it better.  Every now and then, I go out to SSC for a meeting or something. (The coverage maps on CellMapper.net are my contributions.) About every six months  I post something on this forum reminding everyone that service at SSC still stinks, but in this case, the squeaky wheel gets no grease.

2 of 2 people found this helpful
          • tmo_marissa

Hey, all. Thanks for this feedback. It's a bummer that you're all not having a stellar coverage experience at SSC. I know drnewcomb2 has mentioned this, but adding voices to the concern is never a bad thing. I wish I had better news to share, but right now I don't see any plans in that area. drnewcomb2, I'd love to shoot you a PM to get the name of the person you corresponded with previously, is that OK?

- Marissa

• magenta2620799

Stellar coverage is a gross understatement.   It's a sad state of affairs when you have to revert back to a carrier you just switched from because the new carrier does not provide the coverage in the area they said initially.  That's called "false advertisement."  What a shame.

• dragon1562

I'm sorry the coverage isn't good where your at. I can honestly say I have seen huge improvements where I live in the state of Pennsylvania. Sadly AT&T is still more reliable overall across the entire state itself. However this is changing soon with band 71 since the remaining coverage holes are going to be filled in thanks to this spectrum. Overall I have been pleased with the service since my plan is so much cheaper than other carriers. Plus the perks are nice.

• magenta2620799

Appreciate the sentiment and it's the same here regarding the overall reliability of AT&T in this area as well.  Would be interested to see if there are any significant improvements with coverage in this area regarding this spectrum that T-Mobile obtained.  Although from a cost perspective T-Mobile has good deals, but it becomes a moot point if you cannot get service where it's really need.  Just my thoughts!  Thanks again!

• drnewcomb2

One thing about NASA Stennis Space Center is that at one time you'd get the, "Government reservation. Can't build tower." excuse but then BellSouth built this huge tower right in the middle of the base, just off Saturn Dr. All the carriers have antennas on that tower, except CSpire, which has low-band coverage there and doesn't need that tower, and T-Mobile. So even Sprint has good coverage at SSC. Only T-Mobile plays tail-end-charlie, as they have for many years. I've tried everything: pleading, cajoling, embarrassment ("Worse than Sprint") none of it has made any difference when it comes to service at Stennis. 

1 of 1 people found this helpful
                          • magenta2620799

Sounds like you are spot-on with your assessment of NASA Stennis Space Center.  It behooves me how a carrier can have known, not perceived issues, yet they are relegated to giving the company line of semantics regarding their lack of coverage in critical areas.  Here's my 2 cents worth...If you want to stand on the top of the mountain regarding cell phone providers and service, you have to devise a way to improve coverage and quality.  In any race, all of the runners run, but only one receives the prize.  If I were to place T-Mobile on a grading scale, obtaining a (B) regarding prices and fees is miniscule to obtaining an (A) regarding coverage and reliability.  That's where the prize is.