How can I get the PC app to work properly with bluetooth speakers?

andrewburt

Basically, the PC app is useless to me because of problems it causes with bluetooth speakers -- and since using Digits on my PC is the one feature I would want to use of Digits, it makes all of Digits useless to me.

Here's what's up: I use bluetooth speakers on my PC as my main audio output. Digits has a really hard time with this, on many levels -- the most annoying of which is that if I simply -run- the digits app, then do nothing with audio of any kind for a few minutes, then play some audio of any kind, my bluetooth speakers will stutter badly -- even a Windows sound is garbled -- "ding" becomes "di-ii-ii-ii-ng-ng-ng". This is using either the standalone PC app or via a browser. I've tried updating the bluetooth drivers, but Win7 says there's nothing new. This problem alone makes me shut off the Digits app. (And thus not use Digits at all.)

Beyond that problem, trying to use the digits app for a call was just hopeless. Either no sound or garbled.  (I had high hopes of using it to answer my phone when I leave it downstairs. Nope.) It had an additional problem trying to use it for a call: I don't have a bluetooth -mic-, just bluetooth speakers -- but when the app was set to use the bluetooth speakers, it kept selecting bluetooth for input too... but there isn't any such thing. (It might be seeing a bluetooth headset I use -very- rarely, but it isn't powered on, so there is no actual input. The speakers might have some kind of dummy input device, don't know -- but more importantly, I couldn't get the selection to stick.)

I also noticed in the PC app that when I tried to select the audio device (to point it away from my bluetooth device! -- so I could at least use Digits for texting) -- it would fix the bluetooth problem temporarily -- BUT it wouldn't stay set -- it kept resetting back to my bluetooth audio, then mangling the sound.   So, reason #2 to disable the Digits app. (Again, same behavior via a browser; tried both Chrome and Firefox.)

So, hey, any chance of y'all fixing the Digits app so it works?   Anybody else run into a fix for something like this?

All replies

• tmo_marissa

Hiya, andrewburt! I'm sorry to read that this problem was persistent using the web app and browser platform in Chrome and FF. :/ While we've definitely had a handful of users here report audio issues with various components -- typically headsets -- this is my first read of a full-on fail as far as web DIGITS and speakers refusing to play nicely, and we don't have anything called out specifically as far as known issues/incompatibility with the app and BT technology. It sounds like selecting the audio device resolved problem number one, but that setting doesn't hold on its own -- am I reading that right? Does there seem to be any rhyme or reason for when it resets back to BT audio, or a specific length of time?

Thanks for your feedback!

- Marissa

• andrewburt

Hi, thanks. I just tried it again briefly: I set the Digits standalone win7 app audio settings away from my bluetooth device (both microphone and speakers to "default"). It sat for a few hours, no problem. I put the box to sleep (ordinary win7 sleep mode) -- upon wakeup, both microphone and speakers were set specifically to my bluetooth device. Since there -isn't- actually a bluetooth microphone, that's a problem; and somehow the digits app is confusing the bt speaker drivers, so I'd rather have the option to point them away from bt and have it stick. (I don't know that the speakers don't wrongly identify themselves as having a microphone, or if it's picking up the bluetooth headset device that isn't actually connected, and it may be some funky bug in the win bt driver -- but, regardless, the fact that Digits resets the audio settings is a bug in itself.)

1 of 1 people found this helpful
          • andrewburt

FYI, while I've got you... another bug in the win7 digits app -- it often wipes out / forgets the message history. One of the features I want to use the most is the ability to text when my phone is in another room. But I often load the digits app and it has maybe 1-2 recent conversations, but has forgotten all the others, including ones I used or even initiated with digits. Likewise with Calls. Right now, for example, it shows 1 incoming call and 2 messages. (Voicemail goes back about 10 vm's over the span of a month.)

Ran digits via web Chrome, same problem. Ran it on my ipad, it has lots of messages, but only one 1 call. Very odd. Annoying. :}

1 of 1 people found this helpful
            • tmo_marissa

Thanks for clarifying the web app audio issue, I can definitely get that passed to the app team. The feedback about lack of continuity regarding which messages show on different DIGITS platforms is great, too. I know that DIGITS only stores messages for a little while in the cloud, so for it to hold an entire message history isn't expected -- and I can even understand why (at least at this stage) what you see might be different using the iOS app vs. using the win7 app -- but once you throw DIGITS via the Chrome browser in there as well and get yet another outcome, I agree that this is worth pointing out. Thanks so much!

- Marissa