Kickback only being credited on 1 line when 2 qualify each month?

magenta2589535
    I have the two lines for $100/month plus an additional line for free (total 3 lines)  Each month 2 of the lines are under 2GB.  So I should be getting $20 kickback each month.  When I first signed up I was getting the $20.  Then a few months ago it was reduced to only $10/month.  The reason?  T Mobile changed the rules apparently and does not automatically make the "free" line the one the uses over 2GB.  It used to actually say it right on the website that the free line would automatically be assigned to the other line to take advantage of the kickback.      OK I understand that the "free" line doesn't qualify for the $10 kickback.  But I still have 2 lines that used less than 2GB and those 2 lines should be a total of $20 not $10 each month.  I called customer service and was told they cannot simply assign the "free line" to other telephone that will use more than 2GB each month.  Really?  Are you kidding?  So T Mobile is purposely not giving me credit for the kickback on 1 line each month even when I have 2 lines that qualify.  This is a rip off!  Don't offer something that you make impossible to get.    I have called several times without resolution.  Anybody else encounter this and get it resolved?  I cannot simply swap phones. 

All replies

• tidbits

magenta2589535 wrote:

I have the two lines for $100/month plus an additional line for free (total 3 lines) Each month 2 of the lines are under 2GB. So I should be getting $20 kickback each month. When I first signed up I was getting the $20. Then a few months ago it was reduced to only $10/month. The reason? T Mobile changed the rules apparently and does not automatically make the "free" line the one the uses over 2GB. It used to actually say it right on the website that the free line would automatically be assigned to the other line to take advantage of the kickback. OK I understand that the "free" line doesn't qualify for the $10 kickback. But I still have 2 lines that used less than 2GB and those 2 lines should be a total of $20 not $10 each month. I called customer service and was told they cannot simply assign the "free line" to other telephone that will use more than 2GB each month. Really? Are you kidding? So T Mobile is purposely not giving me credit for the kickback on 1 line each month even when I have 2 lines that qualify. This is a rip off! Don't offer something that you make impossible to get. I have called several times without resolution. Anybody else encounter this and get it resolved? I cannot simply swap phones.

That's correct the free line doesn't give kickback, and that makes complete sense...

I have 8 lines with 4 lines free, and I don't have a problem with it.  I don't see it as a rip off.  You can call me a shill or employee or whatever so saying it.  You took the promotion and all lines has been assigned and you agreed to the terms and the terms for kickback was outlined.

1 of 1 people found this helpful
        • magenta2589535

I guess maybe you are an employee.  I posted to see if any customer or perhaps a more knowledgeable employee could help resolve the problem.  I did not post to fight with someone.  Maybe the site is meant to discredit any negative posts.    I noticed you only offered to blame me and stick up for the company, not offer any real solution. You take the position that the customer is wrong because they are not pleased that they are not getting what they are supposed to?  I am wrong because that is what I agreed to?  How would you know? If you read the post, as you apparently know what I agreed to, I stated that the rules changed 2 months after I signed up.  That's my fault right? The first couple of months I was getting the $20.  IF you read the post, the website said the free line would be assigned to the line that was over 2GB.  So I was correct in what I stated about being entitled to $ 20 a month not $10.  So I was lured to sign up for something then the rules changed. SO IT IS NOT WHAT I AGREED TO!   And I do feel ripped off.  I have only been a customer for 6 months.  My bills have been wrong 5 of the 6 months.  There were other issues that I didn't post because they were irrelevant to what I wanted to know.  I guess the other billing problems were my fault too?  It's what I agreed to?  Don't put the blame on the customer because the company changed the rules.  The bottom line is that I have 3 lines, 2 of them are under 2GB each month.  That means $20 per month not $10.  And that is what the terms were and still are.    Plain and simple.   I just want the problem fixed.  And it would have been simple if they would just make the free line the other line.

• tidbits

Rules never changed at all since they introduced it.  IF you read the rules it specifically stated that it's up to $10 based on the cost of the line.  So you want to cheat the system by switching the lines to what is free and what is not which they are not obligated to do.  You went through 6 months with the way it was and now there was a chance for you to get a credit you have a problem with it...

KickBack™ for T-Mobile ONE

Starting January 22, 2017, eligible customers who are enrolled in KickBack™ can receive up to $10 back per line when they use 2 GB of data or less on that line in a billing period.

What's not included

• T-Mobile ONE Wearable lines
              • Mobile Internet (MI) 2 GB-22 GB
              • LineLink devices
              • KickBack isn't available for free lines. (For example: 4th line free promotions.)

Limited time offer; subject to change. On qualifying standard T-Mobile ONE lines with <2GB data usage in previous bill cycle. Must make on-time payments; must activate by end of bill cycle & be active/in good standing when credit applied. Max $10 credit: promo lines priced <$10 will receive <$10 credit; free lines ineligible. Final bill credit may be prorated. May not be combinable with bill credit device offers; enabling Kickback may cause you to lose these monthly device bill credits.

FAQs

How Does KickBack work?

KickBack pays you back for data you don’t use. If your total monthly data usage on any line (on device & tethering) is 2GB or less and you pay on time, we will credit you up to $10 per line on your next bill (you must remain active & in good standing when the credit is applied; credit on your final bill may be prorated). If your line price is less than $10, your KickBack™ would bring your net line price down to $0 (If you’re on a plan where taxes aren’t included, you’d still pay taxes and fees). Unlimited 55+ lines are not eligible for Kickback. KickBack is available on voice and tablet lines. You can view data usage for your current plan on the T-Mobile app or by dialing #web# and selecting the “total on-network data” amount. If you enroll in KickBack, we will also notify you if you are getting close to 2GB of data usage.

So if the line cost $5 then you would get $5 credit.  If the line is free then you won't get any credit because the line is free.  If the line is $20 then you would get the $10 credit for it.

Just a heads up.  I do not work for T-Mobile, nor do I have vested interest in T-Mobile.  Often I tell people if you are not getting what you pay for it's better to switch or not have service at all.  $$$ talks and we earn our money so they should earn ours don't you think?

2 of 2 people found this helpful
                • magenta2589535

You apparently only want to again blame the customer and argue.  It is obvious.   Don't continue to argue. It is a waste of my time.  I posted hoping for help not arguments.  Ok AGAIN-  THE WEBSITE USED TO SAY THE FREE LINE WOULD BE ASSIGNED TO THE LINE THAT WAS OVER 2GB.  It doesn't anymore.  It did change.  That portion was removed. I KNOW WHAT I READ.  You posting what it says now and saying it was always that way doesn't change the portion that was taken out.  If it wasn't true then why was I getting the $20 at first? I could easily get bills to prove this fact.  And why did the representatives agree with me when I called and say that it would be fixed on my next bill?  Next bill? Next bill?  I'm trying to cheat the system?  The rules changed but I'm the one cheating?  When the rules changed I should have given an option to change which line was the free line.  Better yet, why not when I first joined?- not that it mattered at that time because it was automatically assigned to the line that used over 2GB.   I wasn't given a choice.  In fact I told the store rep this line would use the least data so why didn't they make another one the free one?  The only thing I agree with you on is that I do have a choice to go somewhere else if I'm not satisfied.  I'm well aware of that and can always do that if I need to. 

• tidbits

https://newsroom.t-mobile.com/news-and-blogs/un-carrier-next.htm

It hasn't changed at all.  I was one of those Anal retentive people who likes to read everything before I even think about switching.  Free lines would NEVER get kick backs. Even their press release specifically says "When you use 2 GB or less in a month, you’ll get an up to $10 credit on your next month’s bill per qualifying line." That right there screams there is a caveat because of the "per qualifying line" portion of the statement.

So exactly when did they change the rule?  None of these sections if you at the dates and screenshots and other press releases from places like DroidLife, CNet, and such all share the same information.  Are you sure you didn't misread it, or read it from some website that didn't understand or left out information?  If it was a rule it would be easy to search for it on Google, or there would be a cached copy which is nowhere to be found.  Could is possibly the rep during the time you setup the plan the rep said he would assign the free line to the one line that used more than 2 GB and now 6 months later that line uses less and the other uses more and you assumed it would switch automatically based on that statement?  I serious searched for 2 hours including cached copies and found nothing about the free line moving to the line that uses more than 2GB.  That in on itself would be a coding nightmare and would loathe to be the guy to develop that code and all the billing problems that arises.

FYI some reps will give you credits not because you are right, but often to get you off the phone.  I remember a guy on Verizon forums gloating to the fact if you call them enough like he does he often gets $20-30 off his bill regularly.  Rumor has it he switched to Sprint but I don't go to Sprint Forums.  Various reasons why I will never deal with anything Sprint. 

2 of 2 people found this helpful
                  • miket

It's clear to me that free lines are NOT eligible for a "kickback".   It couldn't be any clearer. 

You, yourself outlined how you could beat the system.  Give swap SIMS between the high user and low user.  Of course, for a while they'd be getting each others calls.   I'm sure you could try and figure out other ways to beat the system, at least for a while. 

• barcodeable

I have read what you needed clarification on. I think i understand, and I have read several of the other replys to your problem. You stated you have 2 Lines for $100 and you have a FREE LINE. You are well aware that the FREE LINE you have isn't eligible for the $10 KickBack but your other two lines are eligible. You also stated you were getting for a while $10 + $10 for kick backs for the two main lines that were under the 2GB amount (you were eligible for $20 in kickbacks every month).

Now T-Mobile only give you $10 in kickbacks eventhough you have two eligible lines that should be getting $20 in kickbacks. I would suggest to contact T-Force regarding this issue. Explain to them you are well aware that you are not eligible for kickbacks for the FREE LINE.

Im unsure of how T-Mobile labels the 2 Lines for $100 Dollars. T-Mobile may actually consider one of those lines from that 2 Lines for $100 as a special promotional line that is exempt from the kickback deal. But that shouldn't be the case at all. 2 Lines for $100 signify that you pay line #1 $50 and line #2 $50 and line #3 FREE. I don't understand about the swapping of sim cards.... because when you swap a sim card for another does not erase the data used in conjunction with that sim. Your data use is connected to that specific sim card/phone line.

Hopefuly you get all of your KickBacks. I think there was a misunderstanding concerning your issue and thats why you didn't get the answer you were expecting.

Have a great day hopefully my post was helpful.

• barcodeable

magenta2589535  in your case, T-Mobile want to keep you as a customer for the next 2 years. And since there are no more "contracts" with T-Mobile to hold you as a cellular hostage... they have devised an ingenious plan to offer great deals and having you agree to the 2 year fine print to get the promo.

in  magenta2589535  case... he isn't getting $10 of his kickback. From my understanding its up to $10 back per eligible line that use less than 2GB of data (excuding free lines). Contact T-Force.... they have the ability to fix this.... you just need to explain everything in a way they could understand. A short and sweet explanation.

• tidbits

barcodeable wrote:

magenta2589535 in your case, T-Mobile want to keep you as a customer for the next 2 years. And since there are no more "contracts" with T-Mobile to hold you as a cellular hostage... they have devised an ingenious plan to offer great deals and having you agree to the 2 year fine print to get the promo.

in magenta2589535 case... he isn't getting $10 of his kickback. From my understanding its up to $10 back per eligible line that use less than 2GB of data (excuding free lines). Contact T-Force.... they have the ability to fix this.... you just need to explain everything in a way they could understand. A short and sweet explanation.

What the OP wants is he wants to switch his free line to the other line that used 2GB less data that the other line didn't this month.  He believed the free line would move to the line that used the most data and not fixed on to a specific line.  That's why he isn't getting the kickback because the first 6 months 2 lines were eligible, and then suddenly usage changed to where the free line used less than 2GB and the one that used to use less than 2GB used more than 2.

• magenta2589535

The usage never changed on the lines.  The same line was the only one that was over 2GB each month.  Which is why I am sure what I read about it automatically being applied to the line over 2GB was not something I misread. My usage hasn't changed.  So it must be something T-Mobile changed.  I got it for 2 months then it stopped.  And then what I read wasn't there anymore.  What a coincidence.  Even so, when I signed up I should have been given an option of which line was free if it did matter for getting the kickback. It would be either poor customer service or outright deceit for the store rep to not give me the option of choosing when I joined and tell me that I could get the kickback of $20.  I believe the intent of "free lines don't qualify" was so that if all 3 of my lines were under 2GB I would only get $20 not $30.  That makes sense since the third line didn't cost me anything so I shouldn't get any money back on it.   I don't believe it was intended so that T-Mobile could choose the free line for me and use it to prevent me from getting the kickback.  If that's the case then it is a rip-off because they are advertising something but deceiving me by making it impossible for me to get.  I'm not going to waste any more of my time on this issue on this forum.  Everyone is entitled to their opinion but honestly going back and forth with people that cannot change it for me even if they agree isn't productive.

• tidbits

If you usage stayed the same then why if all 3 lines use less than 2GB you would want to change the free line to another line?  Doesn't make sense to me at all.  At that point i would expect the $20 to be applied and the free line stay where it is as it wouldn't matter what line was free.  Please reread your first post, and see why you are confusing people.

• magenta2642088

The free lines aren't eligible. Trying to get the discount on free lines is gaming the system and it doesn't work that way. Sounds like you have a great deal with T-Mobile already.

• barcodeable

Since you have already received the "kickback" for 2 months already on those lines getting $20 bucks back in credit for going below 2GB of data, that should be reflected in your previous bill. You stated T-Mobile changed the wording on their website which is common. I actually noticed some wording, phrases, and details about the Binge-On feature have been updated and it reads a little bit different now. Luckily i made an entire copy of what was posted prior to the website update (for my records). Without me going off topic as I usually do, go into your account page and download the PDF file of all of your bills. That will be your proof of what had happened so you can get what is owed to you. I can read your frustration in your post, because you believe others on this forum are just bad mouthing you without the power to fix your issue. That frustration is understandable because nobody on this T-Mobile Forum can instantly fix your problem, even the T-Mobile Representatives that moderate this site due to Account Privacy. This is a user forum where users give their opinion about other people issues and they post up issues they may have themselves.

I would not contact the T-Mobile Store about your issue.

I would not contact the T-Mobile customer service on the phone.

i would contact T-Force on Twitter (they are more equipped to handle your complex situation).

And with you pinpointing which months you were receiving these kickbacks vs the months you were not getting the credits, maybe that could help rectify this situation. And then you can return back here and inform us all that you received all the back credit of your kickbacks so others who are in your same situation can learn from what you have done to succesfully get what was owed to you .

Please contact T-Force... if you dont have a Twitter account, please activate one just to contact T-Force to get your credits