Getting MMS to work (APN settings)

drell35555

Just recently I traded my phone in for a TMobile revvl and it was alright until group messaging (MMS) wouldn't work. If you've tried every setting in the messaging app the only other answer lies in the APN setting, WiFi calling, or making sure your phone has space. I finally got MMS to work by going to settings and changing the APN (Access point names, which can be found under cellular networks in settings) from project fi or whatever yours is in to the carrier: Which is in my case "Tmobile US LTE". Should you need direct steps here's another link to ravoz post who goes into details.

https://support.t-mobile.com/thread/61843

All replies

• bostero79

Re: Getting MMS to work (APN settings)

Yes, this is so odd that on the T-Mobile Revvl the default APN is Project Fi.  My mom got this phone on the Cyber Monday $48 deal and couldn't send MMS or group messages and I went into the APN and it was set to Project Fi, switched to T-Mobile US LTE and voila, she's not having any issues now.  I'm pretty sure the Revvl won't work on Fi as it's just been the Nexus and Pixel phones so far besides the Moto X4, no idea why it would have that APN in there.

• magenta3809985

I just figured this out by reading your post I just purchased my phone on the 28th of December and two I'm a service representative through technical support told me the problem was with Alcatel and T-Mobile was trying to resolve the issue now I feel so stupid because I believed them I was told I wouldn't have to send in my phone to receive a phone that didn't have that MMS sending and receiving issues that it would be fixed automatically smh oh well I'm glad I finally found out how to fix it myself

• bobsright

I came her looking for an answer as to why I don't get a notification sound or icon on incoming texts. I looked into the APN settings and found my phone (Revvl) was also set to project fi. There was also APN settings for T Mo and Ultra (a T Mo MVNO) and a couple others I didn't recognize. I bought this used on ebay, but kinda coincidental that it too was set to project fi. Maybe the seller uses thiat network to test his phones before sale. Anyway, I was getting my texts I just wasn't  getting notifications. Unfortunately... changing the APN didn't work. Still no notifications...HELP!

• bobsright

Changing APN did the trick ...but...only after restarting the phone. The odd thing is why are these APNs on the phone in the first place as it is a "branded" T-Mobile phone and secondly, why can't they be removed? Every other phone I've had let you add/remove APN settings.

• bobsright

This thread appears to be dead.. but...in case someone comes looking here with the same issue....changing APN settings and restarting DID NOT work, at least not after the first couple of texts after the change. So I disabled and forced stop the messaging app that comes with this phone and installed Messages (the Google one not one of the myriad of other m apps) from the play store. So far so good. I also was able to use a custom notification sound which the stock app would not let me do.

1 of 1 people found this helpful