Missing random texts from multiple (iOS and android) devices

akimhobo

Anybody else experiencing this problem? I'll drop random messages from people that will have to screen shot their sent message and send it to me to prove that it sent. Sometimes it goes though, sometimes it doesn't. I'm on a Galaxy S8

All replies

• tmo_mike_c

Aw, that's no good akimhobo  but we're here to help. Have you noticed if it's only happening with folks on a specific carrier? Have you tried clearing out message from the phone to see if it's a possible memory issue? I'd also suggest uninstalling any 3rd party messaging apps and giving the phone a restart. You should test it out without the messaging apps to see if there's a difference. Please keep us posted on this and let us know how things are going. Thanks!

• bld93

Hello! I wanted to chime in (instead of creating a new post) and say that I am having the EXACT same issue also with not receiving random texts.
          I can trace my issue back about 4 weeks ago during the hurricane we had (Houston), and I started receiving phone calls from my family who were upset that I hadn't responded to their texts wanting to know if I was ok. At the time, I chalked it up to possible issues with the network due to the storm, however it has continued, and has happened 3 separate times in the last 48 hours. 2 of my coworkers texted yesterday to let me know they were running late - I received neither. (They both showed me the texts on their phones after they arrived. They texted the exact same thing again at that time just to test, and it came through at that time.) And today my wife texted me something important around noon that I never received. Around 3pm I texted her about something and got a reponse back with no issues. When I got home she questioned me about the noon text, and I told her I didn't receive one. (She also copied the original message text and sent to me, and I immediately received it also.)

There appears to be no pattern to when I don't receive the texts: It occurs from both Android and iPhones (BTW - it's not an iMessage issue). It occurs when I'm at home connected to Wifi calling, and also when I'm at work connected to the T-Mobile network (no wifi there), and when I'm at at other locations with or w/o Wifi connected. It's occurring when using the stock Samsung messages app, or with Google's Android Messages app that I downloaded from the Play Store.

ANY help would be greatly appreciated, as this is very frustrating!

• rokugan

I'm having the exact same issue. I have a Samsung Galaxy S7 and this has been happening since the end of July. At first I thought it was because of my bad reception at work, but it doesn't matter where I am and if I'm on Wifi or not.

I've tried pretty much everything to fix this except replacing my phone. Tried a new SIM card, deleting messages and contacts, deleting cache and data. It will happen on both the stock messaging and Textra app. I've factory reset my phone both restoring everything and not restoring anything except my contacts. It appeared to work for a day or two but then found out I was still missing texts. I'm frustrated and this issue was even getting the T-Mobile store employee frustrated! I'm at a complete loss on what to do. I'd rather not have to buy a new phone already as I've only had mine for a little over a year now. Any help would indeed be greatly appreciated!

• tmo_marissa

rokugan and bld93, sorry to read you're both having trouble with wayward messages, too!
              Kudos to you for all of the effort you've put in to troubleshooting thus far. I know you've each been able to determine that the issue isn't isolated to a specific messaging app or a specific contact, and have ensured that the issue happens both on and off Wi-Fi. The factory reset and SIM update completed by rokugan would be next recommendations. I completely agree that replacing the device itself should be a last resort -- we wouldn't want to have you go through all of that if the issue is network related, because that's an awful lot of trouble and expense! Barring any success with these steps that you've tried, we'd want to have you Contact Us so that our T-Force or Tech team can file trouble tickets with the time stamps and originating numbers of the missing messages so that engineering can try to run traces and determine where the message is getting lost before it gets to you.

- Marissa

• jmin28

I am also having this same issue!!  As far as I can tell, it started about 2 months ago and I have a very strong feeling it goes back to when I activated the T-Mobile Digits service.  At 1st, I thought the issue was that I wasn't receiving MMS, but then I started having my friends/co-workers tell me about times they've texted me and I never received those messages.  I use Textra as my default text app on my Samsung S8+, but a couple weeks ago I randomly opened the stock Messages app and noticed TONS of messages that I never saw in Textra, including all the MMS that I thought I never received.  What's more strange, every SMS and MMS was listed 2x, and so was every single reply.  Upon further research by browsing various forums, I discovered that the reason for the duplicates is because 1 of the messages being sent/received is in regular text message format while the duplicate is in Chat format.  Every so often though and seemingly from only a handful of my contacts, a message will come in only in Chat format and these are the messages that don't show up in Textra.  I've found no similarities between the contacts this happens with - some are on T-Mobile and have the same model phone, while other are on different carriers and even have iPhones instead of Android phones.   Anyway, I was able to resolve the issue with missing texts in Textra by following a suggestion I read somewhere to simply set my stock Messages app to default, then reset my Textra as default.  This seemed to work for about 2 weeks, but today I was once again told by a co-worker she tried to text me, and I discovered her message in my stock app, sent in Chat format, which of course never made it to Textra.  I am at my wits end with this!  I really wish T-Mobile would come up with a definitive cause and solution to this problem.

• tidbits

jmin28 wrote:

I am also having this same issue!! As far as I can tell, it started about 2 months ago and I have a very strong feeling it goes back to when I activated the T-Mobile Digits service. At 1st, I thought the issue was that I wasn't receiving MMS, but then I started having my friends/co-workers tell me about times they've texted me and I never received those messages. I use Textra as my default text app on my Samsung S8+, but a couple weeks ago I randomly opened the stock Messages app and noticed TONS of messages that I never saw in Textra, including all the MMS that I thought I never received. What's more strange, every SMS and MMS was listed 2x, and so was every single reply. Upon further research by browsing various forums, I discovered that the reason for the duplicates is because 1 of the messages being sent/received is in regular text message format while the duplicate is in Chat format. Every so often though and seemingly from only a handful of my contacts, a message will come in only in Chat format and these are the messages that don't show up in Textra. I've found no similarities between the contacts this happens with - some are on T-Mobile and have the same model phone, while other are on different carriers and even have iPhones instead of Android phones. Anyway, I was able to resolve the issue with missing texts in Textra by following a suggestion I read somewhere to simply set my stock Messages app to default, then reset my Textra as default. This seemed to work for about 2 weeks, but today I was once again told by a co-worker she tried to text me, and I discovered her message in my stock app, sent in Chat format, which of course never made it to Textra. I am at my wits end with this! I really wish T-Mobile would come up with a definitive cause and solution to this problem.

Reports are coming in.
                    Some Galaxy S8 users aren't getting their text messages

• tmo_marissa

Hey all, just wanted to check in here and see if there were any updates on this messaging situation. I know it seems to be impacting a large group of folks, but at this point we don't have an emerging or known issue listed; so examples provided to our engineering team in the form of tickets filed are still the way to go! Has anyone noticed improvements of any kind?

- Marissa