Missing random texts from multiple (iOS and android) devices

akimhobo

Anybody else experiencing this problem? I'll drop random messages from people that will have to screen shot their sent message and send it to me to prove that it sent. Sometimes it goes though, sometimes it doesn't. I'm on a Galaxy S8

All replies

• tmo_mike_c

Aw, that's no good akimhobo  but we're here to help. Have you noticed if it's only happening with folks on a specific carrier? Have you tried clearing out message from the phone to see if it's a possible memory issue? I'd also suggest uninstalling any 3rd party messaging apps and giving the phone a restart. You should test it out without the messaging apps to see if there's a difference. Please keep us posted on this and let us know how things are going. Thanks!

• bld93

Hello! I wanted to chime in (instead of creating a new post) and say that I am having the EXACT same issue also with not receiving random texts.
          I can trace my issue back about 4 weeks ago during the hurricane we had (Houston), and I started receiving phone calls from my family who were upset that I hadn't responded to their texts wanting to know if I was ok. At the time, I chalked it up to possible issues with the network due to the storm, however it has continued, and has happened 3 separate times in the last 48 hours. 2 of my coworkers texted yesterday to let me know they were running late - I received neither. (They both showed me the texts on their phones after they arrived. They texted the exact same thing again at that time just to test, and it came through at that time.) And today my wife texted me something important around noon that I never received. Around 3pm I texted her about something and got a reponse back with no issues. When I got home she questioned me about the noon text, and I told her I didn't receive one. (She also copied the original message text and sent to me, and I immediately received it also.)

There appears to be no pattern to when I don't receive the texts: It occurs from both Android and iPhones (BTW - it's not an iMessage issue). It occurs when I'm at home connected to Wifi calling, and also when I'm at work connected to the T-Mobile network (no wifi there), and when I'm at at other locations with or w/o Wifi connected. It's occurring when using the stock Samsung messages app, or with Google's Android Messages app that I downloaded from the Play Store.

ANY help would be greatly appreciated, as this is very frustrating!

• rokugan

I'm having the exact same issue. I have a Samsung Galaxy S7 and this has been happening since the end of July. At first I thought it was because of my bad reception at work, but it doesn't matter where I am and if I'm on Wifi or not.

I've tried pretty much everything to fix this except replacing my phone. Tried a new SIM card, deleting messages and contacts, deleting cache and data. It will happen on both the stock messaging and Textra app. I've factory reset my phone both restoring everything and not restoring anything except my contacts. It appeared to work for a day or two but then found out I was still missing texts. I'm frustrated and this issue was even getting the T-Mobile store employee frustrated! I'm at a complete loss on what to do. I'd rather not have to buy a new phone already as I've only had mine for a little over a year now. Any help would indeed be greatly appreciated!

• tmo_marissa

rokugan and bld93, sorry to read you're both having trouble with wayward messages, too!
              Kudos to you for all of the effort you've put in to troubleshooting thus far. I know you've each been able to determine that the issue isn't isolated to a specific messaging app or a specific contact, and have ensured that the issue happens both on and off Wi-Fi. The factory reset and SIM update completed by rokugan would be next recommendations. I completely agree that replacing the device itself should be a last resort -- we wouldn't want to have you go through all of that if the issue is network related, because that's an awful lot of trouble and expense! Barring any success with these steps that you've tried, we'd want to have you Contact Us so that our T-Force or Tech team can file trouble tickets with the time stamps and originating numbers of the missing messages so that engineering can try to run traces and determine where the message is getting lost before it gets to you.

- Marissa

• jmin28

I am also having this same issue!!  As far as I can tell, it started about 2 months ago and I have a very strong feeling it goes back to when I activated the T-Mobile Digits service.  At 1st, I thought the issue was that I wasn't receiving MMS, but then I started having my friends/co-workers tell me about times they've texted me and I never received those messages.  I use Textra as my default text app on my Samsung S8+, but a couple weeks ago I randomly opened the stock Messages app and noticed TONS of messages that I never saw in Textra, including all the MMS that I thought I never received.  What's more strange, every SMS and MMS was listed 2x, and so was every single reply.  Upon further research by browsing various forums, I discovered that the reason for the duplicates is because 1 of the messages being sent/received is in regular text message format while the duplicate is in Chat format.  Every so often though and seemingly from only a handful of my contacts, a message will come in only in Chat format and these are the messages that don't show up in Textra.  I've found no similarities between the contacts this happens with - some are on T-Mobile and have the same model phone, while other are on different carriers and even have iPhones instead of Android phones.   Anyway, I was able to resolve the issue with missing texts in Textra by following a suggestion I read somewhere to simply set my stock Messages app to default, then reset my Textra as default.  This seemed to work for about 2 weeks, but today I was once again told by a co-worker she tried to text me, and I discovered her message in my stock app, sent in Chat format, which of course never made it to Textra.  I am at my wits end with this!  I really wish T-Mobile would come up with a definitive cause and solution to this problem.

• tidbits

jmin28 wrote:

I am also having this same issue!! As far as I can tell, it started about 2 months ago and I have a very strong feeling it goes back to when I activated the T-Mobile Digits service. At 1st, I thought the issue was that I wasn't receiving MMS, but then I started having my friends/co-workers tell me about times they've texted me and I never received those messages. I use Textra as my default text app on my Samsung S8+, but a couple weeks ago I randomly opened the stock Messages app and noticed TONS of messages that I never saw in Textra, including all the MMS that I thought I never received. What's more strange, every SMS and MMS was listed 2x, and so was every single reply. Upon further research by browsing various forums, I discovered that the reason for the duplicates is because 1 of the messages being sent/received is in regular text message format while the duplicate is in Chat format. Every so often though and seemingly from only a handful of my contacts, a message will come in only in Chat format and these are the messages that don't show up in Textra. I've found no similarities between the contacts this happens with - some are on T-Mobile and have the same model phone, while other are on different carriers and even have iPhones instead of Android phones. Anyway, I was able to resolve the issue with missing texts in Textra by following a suggestion I read somewhere to simply set my stock Messages app to default, then reset my Textra as default. This seemed to work for about 2 weeks, but today I was once again told by a co-worker she tried to text me, and I discovered her message in my stock app, sent in Chat format, which of course never made it to Textra. I am at my wits end with this! I really wish T-Mobile would come up with a definitive cause and solution to this problem.

Reports are coming in.
                    Some Galaxy S8 users aren't getting their text messages

• tmo_marissa

Hey all, just wanted to check in here and see if there were any updates on this messaging situation. I know it seems to be impacting a large group of folks, but at this point we don't have an emerging or known issue listed; so examples provided to our engineering team in the form of tickets filed are still the way to go! Has anyone noticed improvements of any kind?

- Marissa

• bld93

Hello again! No change here. I did a factory reset a few days after my original post, tried a few more days with the default messaging app as well as Google Message app (downloaded from the PlayStore), and was still missing random messages.
                        I have not tried a new SIM. I don't suspect that's the issue, as I've changed back to my older phone and haven't had a single issue with it.

I have also not used the Contact Us link, but will do that either tonight or tomorrow.
                        @

• tmo_lauren

It doesn't appear there is an official known issue reported yet, but we are continuing to follow up and see. It definitely seems to be Samsung oriented, and is impacting all carriers, so hopefully that means they will get the solution sorted ASAP.

Thanks for your patience and sorry about the issues.

-Lauren

• akimhobo

Thanks for staying on top of this Lauren and tmo team!

• rchen

I don't think it's strictly a Samsung issue.  I've been experiencing the same issues as the previous posters have mentioned on different phones.  I continue to see this issue happen on multiple devices including my Moto X2, LeEco S3, and my brother experiences it on the OnePlus 3.  I've tried addressing it on each device taking actions to reset the phone, factory reset, trying different SMS messaging apps, and still encountered it even after replacing SIM cards, while keeping the same phone number.  The issue is hard to notice, because as a user, I'm unaware of missing messages until conversation threads don't make sense or someone happens to follow up on why I haven't replied to a previously missed message.  The only thing in common is that each device is running Android, and connected to the T-Mobile network.  I suspect it's either a network issue or possibly a system-level interface / protocol issue between the network and Android operating system at the handset.  If it's a network issue, I'm concerned whether T-Mobile has looked into testing for this edge case as it affects quality of service and reliability.  If it's an Android issue, is there any means for T-mobile to raise this issue to the Google Android team, as this issue impacts a majority of customers who may assume it's a network reliability issue with T-Mobile.

I'd prefer to rely on SMS and MMS to communicate, but it's become pretty unreliable due to the frequency of missed messages.  Is anyone from the tmo team looking into this further? Thanks!

tmo_mike

• spoznanovich

I'm having the exact same issue as well!  I'm using a One Plus 5 and randomly have not been receiving texts.  As the other users above have mentioned, it has been very difficult to test and troubleshoot this; it is very sporadic/inconsistent and you never know what texts you don't receive until the conversation luckily warrants a "yeah, I just said that!" response.

I am suspect of the T-mobile Digits app as well.  I mostly use Textra, but when I load the stock Android messenger app or Digits, the messages are also missing.  However, when I login to my T-mobile account online, it shows more incoming text messages than I received on my phone (but I am not able to verify if these are the exact messages that are missing, as the online message detail is not available).  However, Digits did not receive them either.  I have never had this issue prior to switching to T-mobile.  I have never had an iPhone nor has my number ever been associated with iMessage, so that couldn't be the problem.  I registered with Digits around the same time as switching to T-mobile, so I am unable to isolate if it a T-mobile network issue or a Digits issue.

I have tried to delete the Digits app and remove my device from my online Digits account, but that hasn't seemed to help. 

The two people that I have frequently been able to verify missed messages from are using iPhones, but I have also had a missing message from one person using a Windows phone (but that's Windows, so maybe a separate issue in itself!). 

I have also received messages where the actual text itself is incomplete and randomly combined with half of a previous message from that user.  This only shows up this way in the stock Android messaging app and Textra, but when I go into Digits, the complete message is there (maybe some encryption issue?)

How does the movement of the text data progress?  For example:  iPhone --> iMessage --> to some standard SMS/MMS protocol--> ATT --> T-mobile --> Digits --> to my phone?  Is Digits indeed an intermediary like iMessage and potentially causing problems? 

The only other thing I can guess is that it is an issue when simultaneous or rapid texts are being sent between two users... although this may only be indicative of the type of conversation when I am able to discover the missing messages!

• curtisy

Did you happen to find a solution to your problem? I'm using a OnePlus 5T and have the exact same issues. I'm about to go insane!

• spoznanovich

I haven't found a solution yet.  In fact, it has gotten worse.  I have not been receiving any SMS messages today from anyone who does not have T-Mobile, only MMS (if someone sends an image or a group text).  However, my outgoing SMS texts are sent and received.  I have been changing settings and testing with friends' iPhones, Android, and even Windows phones on both Verizon and AT&T.  I called T-Mobile support and he suggested I just start deleting text message strings, thinking my inbox was "too full".  He also suggested a factory reset... but based on the symptoms and everyone above's previous experience, I don't think these suggestions will work and I refuse to just start deleting data and inconveniencing my life for a "let's just try this and see" recommendation.  The T-mobile tech support guy sent me two text messages from an Android and iPhone, which I received both (presumably they were on the T-mobile network).  I also confirmed with a friend who has T-mobile service and I was able to receive his SMS and MMS messages...  so at minimum, I think this is a T-mobile network issue not passing on messages from other carriers and not a phone issue.  What makes me believe this further, is that none of the missing incoming text messages even show up on my account when I look up my usage on-line.  To me, this means that they were never even routed or acknowledged by the T-mobile network, let alone even sent to my phone....  I agree with many on these forums... it is clearly a network issue that is constantly being blamed on our devices.  I can't afford to be missing messages; texting is now a ubiquitous form of basic communication and it is affecting my work and personal relationships.  I'm pretty much done with this and going to switch carriers yet again....which is too bad... the unlimited family plan is as good of a deal as it gets... but I guess you get what you pay for...

• rainstrains

I've also been having this issue. At first, with a Google Pixel 2 XL and now a cheapo Alcatel. This issue is causing a very upset girlfriend who texts me and it's lost at the worst times and she stays bitter at me for hours, all because I didn't know I was supposed to get a message. She's sending from iOS. I don't have any other friends I text frequently enough to notice dropped messages but its becoming increasingly more annoying and causing more relationship drama than necessary! Please someone look into this!

• magenta6348593

I am having the same issue on Note 8. It is very random but really frustrating when you have to keep wondering why the opposite person has not replied. My friend and I , we are both on T-mobile. He is using an S8 and I am using Note 8. He is using the samsung messages app and I was using the Android Messages application. I wished him for his birthday last night and he did not respond at all. I kept wondering what happened only to realize my message had not been received on the other end inspite of the message saying "delivered".

It has happened before but it seems to be a regular occurrence. It does not matter if the wifi is on or not.

Hope this issue can be resolved.

• steve6724558

My wife and I both have note 8 and have this issue. its seems even more frequent when the sender is sending from to multiple people (group)  it has happened ever since we got the phones a year ago, I was also not on tmobile before this new phone so I dont know if it is phone related or the carrier.  but it need to be fixed. I see some messages come through where I absolutely missed the first message to the group.  it is random. Even if my wife tries to send an email to my tmobile phone and my Verizon phone at the same time it never gets to me  she has to send it individually, this always happens with pictures for sure.