Lsoing Desktop Icons

rsnic

Hi,

Have had my S8 for several months & other than a some what responsive (at best) Bixby,  this phone is absolutely terrific.

Having said that, however, about a week ago, a strange thing happens when I restart (which I try to do daily).

After the restart, I've noticed that several desktop icons disappear -- some in a group, some by themselves,  for no apparent reason.

Would appreciate any thoughts or recommendations

Thanks

All replies

• tmo_marissa

Re: Lsoing Desktop Icons

Hey rsnic! This is a new one to me. Is this still happening? Do you ever clear your cache -- I wonder if for some reason the phone's hanging on to a previous image of your home screen and displaying that?

- Marissa

• rsnic

tmo_marissa,

This "feature" has caught me by surprise!  As I said, it just cropped up about 2 weeks ago and yes I am using the standard Samsung launcher (Touchwiz Home v6.1.50.2).

I just tried wiping cache partition and when I restarted the same problem recurred -- that is to say, Apps Icons disappeared from my home screens, some of which are for Apps that are on my SD card (but not all of the missing Apps)

I am really puzzled?!??

Can sure use some help!

• rsnic

j.a.r.v.i.s,

Using the Samsung standard home screen (Touchwiz), I have home & App screens, but no App drawer -- I just swipe up for that.

So, the shortcut icons are added to home & apps screens, either alone or as part of a group

I am really baffled by this

Thanks

• j.a.r.v.i.s

Very strange rsnic - I'll try putting some icons on home screen and see what happens when i reboot.  Normally i keep my home screen clean and just use the App Drawer...

I'm assuming you updated your software to the latest?

You have a T-Mobile S8 or unlocked?

1 of 1 people found this helpful
                • tmo_marissa

Thanks for testing, j.a.r.v.i.s! rsnic, is your SW version the same? Can you think back to anything else that might have happened around the same time this issue started cropping up -- new apps downloaded, for example?

- Marissa

• rsnic

tmo_marissa,

The only App I recently added was well after I started to have this problem.

At someone's suggestion, I just cleared cache & cleared data for Touchwiz home and then spent about an hour recreating the home and apps screens (fortunately, I had screen shots to work with).  Will try my nightly restart and hope that fixes it.  The other suggestion was if that didn't work do a factory reset, which I am not going to do as that will be a dril to bring phone back to a useful state.

Welcome any other thoughts

• tmo_marissa

I think the cache/data clear for TouchWiz is a good call -- how did you fare after the restart? I understand not wanting to complete a factory reset (especially after the experience you've described setting everything back up after this move) but if there's another app that's not playing nicely with the home screen, then the reset and operating in safe mode are the way to figure that out. :/ The only other thought I have is that this may be a memory issue? I know you mentioned that some of the apps that are moving on their own are on the SD card and some are on the device memory -- can I ask how full your memory is?

- Marissa

• rsnic

tmo_marissa,

Well after taking 3 screen shots (home screen & 2 Apps screens), I restarted  -- SURE AM GLAD I DID THAT!!

Once again, I lost Apps icons from Home & Apps screens, as well as several that were in groups in my "Apps drawer" (the upswipe to get to all Apps) -- about 14 or so icons.  Those that were missing were stored on phone's SD card, BUT not all of the Apps stored on SD card were affected -- there were 8 Apps that are stored on SD Card that were fine (e.g., Adobe Acrobat Reader, NetFlix & Key Ring).

I am now really puzzled.  Of course, some are saying to do a factory reset, BUT am most reluctant to take such a draconian step as that will be a real drill to rebuild everything, even with Smart Switch!

I sincerely welcome any recommendations & thoughts!

• rsnic

tmo_marissa,

Since the clearing of data & cache from Touchwiz didn't fix the problem, have had some that are advising next step is a factory reset.

That seems awfully drastic!  Are there any other steps I can take before I do that?  Also, if I do, how do I minimize the pain in doing the factory reset?  How can I back up or save:

• Phone's configuration
                        • The way I have screens set up
                        • Data & program files on phone?
                        • Data & program files on SDC card?

In case, you haven't surmised, I am very concerned with doing a factory reset

Welcome advice and recommendations

• tmo_marissa

Well, I don't blame you -- it is a drastic step. Let me ask you one thing first! What do you think about moving some of the apps that are currently on the SD card over to your device, and then trying the same steps as before -- clear cache, wipe cache partition, restart -- and see if the apps still disappear. I'm wondering if we can isolate the issue to the SD card connection, in which case maybe testing an alternate SD card could be another troubleshooting step prior to a factory reset. What are your feelings about that?

- Marissa

• rsnic

tmo_marissa,

That is much more doable.  Let me see if I got how to do so correct. Go into SETTINGS, APPS and for each App currently stored on SD Card, move back to phone.  Then clear Cache for Touchwiz home, Wipe Cache Partition, cross my fingers & restart.  If all icons reappear, then there is a problem with SD card -- correct?  If so, then I should transfer what files I have on current one to another SD card and replace SD card with the new one.

There is one thing nagging my craw.  Both some Apps Icons and a few document shortcut icons for items on SD Card continue to reappear with restart -- any idea why some work and some vanish?

Do I have the procedure down correctly?

• tmo_marissa

rsnic, sorry about the delayed reply! I was out for a few days and missed this, thanks for the tag.
                                You've got the right idea -- of course, this does hinge upon you having enough space on your device to move the apps over, so I hope that's not a problem.
                                I'd also suggest removing the SD card completely while you do the restart portion of this test -- so basically, move apps, remove SD card, restart, see if anything's missing from the home screen.
                                To be honest, I'm not sure why some apps/files are disappearing and others are hanging in there -- or even whether the SD card is actually the problem. But at least this should help tell us if that's the case! If things are still missing after the restart, then I am thinking at that point the master reset is unavoidable.

- Marissa

• rsnic

tmo_marissa,

Haven't heard back -- please post above.

Thanks

• rsnic

tmo_marissa,

Sorry, this time the delay is on me.  Well, I finally got around to transferring the 30 Apps I had on phones SD card.  I then:

• Turned phone off
                                  • Removed micro SD card (which was a Samsung 64Gb card that I got as part of one of their promotions)
                                  • Put in a fresh 32Gb micro SD card
                                  • Did a Wipe Cache Partition
                                  • Restarted phone
                                  • Waited a few minutes

And, voila, all the Apps are present, both on the Home & Apps screens and in the Apps file drawer (even the groups in there that I created)!

So now the question is was the 64 Gb SD card the culprit or is it something in the phone's operating system or ROM??  Seems to me, the only way to check that out was to move some Apps onto the new micro SD card.  I transferred only 2 Apps back to the new SD card (both of which I knew had disappeared before).  Restarted the phone and BOTH of these Apps are in their rightful group.  So what can I conclude from this?  Is the complimentary 64Gb Samsung micros card bad and the cause of the problem?  If so, what recourse do I have to get it replaced? Would appreciate your thoughts and recommendations.

Also, I have an off-topic question.  One of the T-Mobile supplied Apps is Device Unlock.  What does it do?  What happens if I run that App on my phone that is operating on T-Mobile network?

Welcome your thoughts and recommendations

2 of 2 people found this helpful
                                    • j.a.r.v.i.s

rsnic - the Unlock is for locked phones.  It allows you to unlock your phone and take it to other carriers (like when traveling internationally)...there are certain requirements for the unlock to be allowed...first you need to have the phone 100% paid for.  Second you need to have the phone for a certain time period...check it out below...

SIM Unlock Policy | Unlock Your Mobile Wireless Device | T-Mobile

2 of 2 people found this helpful
                                      • tmo_marissa

Good morning, rsnic!
                                        Well, I'm super glad that your apps are staying put, and thanks for running through that test! As far as whether the device or the SD card is the culprit, I think for now it seems like the SD card -- if this starts happening again, though, it may be the device. If the SD card is faulty, then as it was received from Samsung you'd want to check with them to see if there's a warranty. I'm not certain what warranty promotional items carry, but hopefully there is more than a limited one and your SD card is still covered for a replacement.
                                        Regarding the unlock app, j.a.r.v.i.s hit the nail on the head. With many modern devices, an app is used to process a SIM unlock, rather than the older "code" method. If your device is eligible for unlock or temporary unlock, running the app will complete that process -- but if not, then it will remain locked to T-Mobile!

- Marissa

1 of 1 people found this helpful
                                      • rsnic

tmo_marissa,

First and foremost, thank you very much for thoughtful recommendations and sticking with as we worked through this problem!

Over the next day or two, with my fingers crossed, I will move more Apps back onto SD card -- my logic is simple:  why use phone memory when you can offload to SD card.  Will keep checking when I do my daily restart.  will keep you posted -- hopefully, more good news

Will also contact Samsung on the SD card warranty

Again, appreciate your help!

• tmo_marissa

Awesome! Yes, please keep me posted -- I've got my fingers crossed that this new SD card is the ticket and you will be spared from the Master Reset/possible device replacement avenue. Thank you for hanging in there and doing all this work!

- Marissa

• tmo_marissa

Hi, rsnic! Since it's been a few days, I just wanted to check in with you and see how things were going. Does everything look the same upon restart as it did when you closed the phone down?

- Marissa

• rsnic

tmo_marissa,

First, thanks again for sticking with me.  Well, I have been moving a few Apps over to SD card (a new one) every other day.  I currently have 15 Apps moved over to SD card.

I initially moved about 2 or 3 so Iahd five Apps moved over and everything was OK after restarts.  I then increased the number a few every day or so.  When I got to about 10, I noticed that one of the very first Apps I moved had its icon disappear from home so I replaced and waited a day or two and all was well so I increased to the current count and all was well for the first day, bu I noticed that two (the original ones moved) had disappeared.

So I do not know what is going on??

Before I do the drastic move of factory reset, how can I save stuff so I do not have to through the tedious and laborious stuff that I know I have to do before the factory reset?  Can T-Mobile store near me help?  Can Samsung or its Premium Care help?

Again, appreciate your help!

• rsnic

tmo_marissa,

Was away for a few days, but still have a few Apps Icons continue to disappear whenever I restart.

I am just girding myself for the factory reset -- will get all set this week and try it.

More to follow

Thanks for continuing to track this issue!

• rsnic

tmo_marissa,

@tmo_Lauren,

I in fact did do a factory reset about a day and half ago.  While restoring the phone & apps was fairly straight forward, the reall y"drill" was setting all of the Apps back up -- but I think I have that in hand.

When I got done, I moved about half of the SD-card capable Apps back onto SD Card (am using the newer 32Gb one now) and after my first restart, all seemed OK.  I have now moved about 2/3 of the SD-capable apps to SD card and other than one App not being there, all seems to be OK -- but will give it a few more days before I move the remaining SD card capable apps to the SD card.

As for the other two problem:

• Trusted Voice, Trusted Device (my car) & Trusted Location (my home) all seem to be working better
                                                  • As Bixby, responsiveness to the wake up command seems to have improved a little -- from maybe 2 out of 10 tries successful to about 4 or 5 out of 10 successes

Again, I am not jumping to any conclusions that the Factory Reset fixed the problem -- YET!

• rsnic

tmo_marissa,

@Amanda,

So far so good.  I have returned to my normal routine of restarting phone every evening.  I have transferred all Apps that can be transferred to SD card and they come back after the nightly restart, though I am using the new SD card and not the older one.  Phone unlocks more oftern in response to the OK Google prompt and Bixby is somewhat more responsive -- maybe 50% of the time

While the reset was relatively painless, the "fun" was setting up the screens and the individual apps -- hopefully not again

• tmo_marissa

I am right there with you hoping that you don't have to set everything up again, rsnic! I'm so glad things seem to be working as expected now.

• magenta2935264

Marissa,

Is this a storage issue? My S7 Edge lost many icons when I was on vacation a few days ago. My phone was out of storage less 500 MB or so. No SD card. At least two screens of app shortcuts disappeared from my home screen and from the screens of all of my apps that show when I touch the "apps" shortcut (is that the "apps drawer" written about above? Never heard of it before here. Nothing happens when I swipe up. Maybe only an S8 feature?).

I've tried to reinstall the missing apps, but no dice. All show as installed in Google Play, but I have no way to launch them as the shortcuts are missing from the phone. My phone won't let me view Gallery either, and some recent pics only show as random icons. I hope no pics are missing. I installed a new 16 GB SD card on vacation so I could take more pics and videos when it gave me a "low storage" picture taking lockout at the worst possible time. I'm hoping the shortcuts will reappear when I manage to backup my phone to ensure videos and pics on the phone are backed up, delete them from phone storage, and install a new 200 GB SD card I bought to hopefully avoid this problem in the future. Would have been nice if the S7 Edge had double the low amount of onboard storage it has and I might have avoided this.

As of now, shortcuts still missing, and my 16 GB SD card almost full of vacation vids and pics (hopefully that's what's taking up all the space--can't view them as noted).

My problem now is trying to backup the phone storage so I can delete the pics and vids taking up too much storage. Problem is, when I go to Apps, Settings, and Backup, it won't let me backup the phone because it says there is not enough storage to do so! ARRRGGHHH!

Thanks for the link to Smart Switch above and the Backup and Restore link, which are missing from the main site. Couldn't find them in downloads on the T-Mobile website, or in the FAQ section. Couldn't find out how to back up phone either. Maybe T-Mobile can add a link to how to back up your phone and get Smart Switch to do it as one of the main links when you click help/support/FAQ. That would have saved much frustration. Also, a prominent link to how to transfer files to an SD card would have been very helpful.

Can you give me a link to how to transfer files to an SD card? I'm guessing that's all I can do now to reduce the amount of files on the phone to the point where I can do a backup so I can wipe my phone of the old pics and vids that have storage almost maxed out. Thanks.     

• rsnic

tmo_marissa,

Well,  all is STILL well -- kind of; by that I mean:

• When I RESTART, I haven't been losing any icons (from either desktop or App "drawer"); somehow when I did the factory reset, I enabled the start up security (before the phone actually starts over, I have input my PIN -- actually a good thing), this makes the restart a little longer and I notice that several icons are "phantoms" while everything is being run up and then become "real icons"
                                                          • Smart Lock features of Trusted Voice, Trusted Device and Trusted Place work MUCH BETTER.
                                                          • The only lame item is Bixby voice wake up, still with woeful response rate.

BTW, all Apps that could move to the SD card have been moved some time ago.