Pop Up Ads on Samsung Galaxy S6 edge

yoohoo422

Hi, recently my phone is popping up ads randomly, most frequently when I unlock my phone.  I had downloaded a game that I have since uninstalled thinking that is what caused this issue.  I did a clear cache and that didn't stop it from popping up.  Any other suggestions?  I really don't want to do a Factory Reset.  Thanks in advance for any help!

All replies

• theartiszan

Re: Pop Up Ads on Samsung Galaxy S6 edge

The first thing i would try is looking through the settings list of installed applications and uninstalling anything you don't use or recognize that you can uninstall. Most likely it will be one of those that you should be able to remove. There is pre-installed applications and others that you won't be able to uninstall. Don't worry about those as it is normal.

2 of 2 people found this helpful
          • yoohoo422

Okay, so I went through and looked for and deleted applications that I wasn't familiar with or not using.  However, when I go under settings>  device maintenance and then when I clean the storage it shows the apps that it is cleaning and one of them is something called "umeng Ad"  I can't find this anywhere else on the phone but I'm wondering if this part of the issue.  I've tried malware apps to see if they would discover anything and they haven't.

• tidbits

Android.Umeng | Symantec

Do you not see umeng Ad in your application manager?

2 of 2 people found this helpful
                  • yoohoo422

Nope, I don't see umeng anywhere on phone until I clean out Storage and then I see it scrolling as one of the items be closed.

I downloaded Norton last night and it says no malware is detected. :/

• yoohoo422

YAY!  For now it seems as though the ads aren't popping up.  The solution was more than just installing Norton and looking for Malware, it also entailed going to  App Advisor in Norton and showing which apps had intrusive ads. 

Thank you for your help!

• artart

yoohoo422 wrote:

it also entailed going to App Advisor in Norton and showing which apps had intrusive ads.

yoohoo422

Glad everything is OK now.

Was the app possibly this one titled "Photo Editor"

Photo Editor - Android Apps on Google Play

It clearly states that it contains ads.

I have seen frequent instances of apps being named similarly to one from a manufacture such as Samsung. This is something we to have to keep in mind when downloading apps even from Google Play Store.

Here is a little info that you might like to read

if you haven't already seen it.

Symantc:

Updated:February 27, 2015 4:27:44 PM

Type:Adware

Risk Impact:High

Systems Affected:Android

Behavior

Android.Umeng is an advertisement library that is bundled with certain Android applications.

Another website explains how you might have received umeng.

>>> What is Android.Umeng?

Android.Umeng is considered a form of adware, a type of malware that runs on your computer to present unwanted advertising without your consent. Android is considered a web browser add-on – it silently installs on your browser as a plugin or extension without your knowledge.

Once installed, Android.Umeng starts displaying unwanted advertisements when you use your browser to surf the Internet. This type of adware is not limited to displaying advertisements; it can also redirect you to other malicious websites and constantly display annoying “pop-up” advertisements.

The most common ways that Android.Umeng can invade your browser is by unintentionally clicking on “sponsored links”, installing legitimate software programs bundled with this type of adware, or by installing an infected browser plugin or extension. Android can also infect your computer if you open an e-mail attachment or download a program already infected with Android.Umeng.

Once your computer is infected with Android.Umeng, it will immediately start exhibiting malicious behavior. In addition to presenting you with unwanted advertisements, Android.Umeng might prompt you to install fake software updates or trick you into submitting your private, sensitive information on a fake lottery site claiming you as the winner.

Furthermore, adware such as Android. Umeng can also modify your browser settings. It is common for browsers infected with Android. Umeng to have its default settings altered in undesirable ways. In the most extreme case, Android can cause very severe damage to your system through manipulating the Windows Registry and security settings of your computer. <<<

The website that provides the above explanation sells anti malware software,

so Umeng might not be as devastating as described. It would be interesting to know however, if Umeng is actually included in an app that Google Play currently provides.

Art

1 of 1 people found this helpful
                          • tidbits

Since you have a Galaxy device.  If you want a photo editor go into the galaxy app store and download the one from Samsung. 

yoohoo422 wrote:

YAY! For now it seems as though the ads aren't popping up. The solution was more than just installing Norton and looking for Malware, it also entailed going to App Advisor in Norton and showing which apps had intrusive ads.

Thank you for your help!

• tidbits

What kind of advert are you getting?  Is it in the notification shade or an actual popup like you'd get in the middle of the screen.

If it's in the notification hold down the notification and it will take you to the app that requested the notification.

If it's in the middle of the screen type of popup the best thing you can do is remember when it first started happening and look at what was updated that day and what is installed on that day.

1 of 1 people found this helpful
                      • ignonothing

For me, it was Peel Remote:
                        Peel remote app upsets users with a ton of ads and lock screen overlays

Found it by clicking the Menu button (left of the center Home button) and seeing what apps were running immediately after I saw the ad.