Horrible Welcome To T-Mobile

zgasperg

My wife and I learned about the over 55 plan and switch our phones to Sprint.  What an ordeal.  Getting Sprint to unlock the phones was one issue the second issue is the horrible service we got from the T-Moblie Store.  My wife and I switched over an Iphone 6S and a Note 5.  The switchover of the 6S went flawlessly but the Note 5 was a trainwreck.  The staff at the store did not reset any of the network settings and as a result I did not get any MMS messages or have access to the LTE network.  90 minutes on the phone with phone support resolved those issues.  That was day day one of the relationship.  In the middle of day 2 I lost the ability to make phone calls.  I was getting a SIM card error.  Went back to the store where they insisted that the problem was with my phone and not with my settings.  Quite a coincidence when the phone worked flawlessly with Sprint.  They said nope it's your phone forcing me to buy a new one.  And other than a 2 minuted phone call to tech support did nothing else to research my problem. Did not believe them for a minute, I could have gotten a second opinion but I needed to use my phone and had had enough of dealing with phone companies.  When I asked if they could cut me a break on the price of the new phone they said "we are a franchise our hands are tied" and shrugged their shoulders. No compassion, no attempt they felt bad for poor service and what was now a much more expensive relationship.  They used the fact they were a franchise as an excuse for poor service. To add insult to injury the neglected to set up my new phone to take phone calls so I had to return to the store to get that fixed.  T-Mobile saying they are a different kind of phone company is a load of crap.  To treat new customers the way we were treated is inexcusable.

All replies

• drnewcomb2

Re: Horrible Welcome To T-Mobile

Was this an authorized dealer or a company store? There is a difference.

While I don't understand what's happening with the SIM card error on the Note 5, I can say that (unlike the iPhone 6s) the Sprint Note 5 (mod N920P) is only partially compatible with T-Mobile's bands. T-Mobile has been reorganizing their signal in a lot of markets to maximize the amount of LTE deployed. This is reducing service to customers who have some older and BYOD (Bring Your Own Device) phones. Samsung is well known (I'd say "notorious") for customizing their phones to the specific needs of the carrier who sold them. They have specific model numbers for each US carrier with different specs for each. Apple, to their credit, has resisted this and makes only one or two versions of each phone.

Some things to check. Did Sprint really fully unlock that Note 5? Sprint is notorious for only doing international unlocks unless the customer specifically demands a full domestic and international unlock. Does the Note 5 have a setting to turn on VoLTE? If so, make sure it's set to ON. Where are you located. If your VoLTE isn't working, in some markets your calls may be forced to fall back to a very thin GSM layer. In any event, lacking UMTS 1700 and LTE band-12 and maybe not having compatible VoLTE, that Note 5 may not be able to work very well on T-Mobile's network.

1 of 1 people found this helpful
          • gramps28

There was thread like this a couple of days ago that the phone was unlocked for international but not domestic use.

1 of 1 people found this helpful
            • zgasperg

It was at a T-Moble store. that was a franchise which I assume is an authorized dealer. It was unlocked for both as it worked fine for a bout 25 hours.  Upon furter research it looks like there may have still some Sprint background apps that may have reset something.  How that would still allow text but disable voice is beyond me but you would think that someone at T-Mobile would know about this.

• artart

zgasperg wrote:

#1 My wife and I learned about the over 55 plan and switch our phones to Sprint. What an ordeal.

#2 Getting Sprint to unlock the phones was one issue

#3 the second issue is the horrible service we got from the T-Mobile Store.

#4 My wife and I switched over an Iphone 6S and a Note 5. The switch over of the 6S went flawlessly but the Note 5 was a trainwreck. The staff at the store did not reset any of the network settings and as a result I did not get any MMS messages or have access to the LTE network.

#5 90 minutes on the phone with phone support resolved those issues. That was day day one of the relationship.

#6 In the middle of day 2 I lost the ability to make phone calls. I was getting a SIM card error. Went back to the store where they insisted that the problem was with my phone and not with my settings. Quite a coincidence when the phone worked flawlessly with Sprint. They said nope it's your phone forcing me to buy a new one.

#7 And other than a 2 minuted phone call to tech support did nothing else to research my problem. Did not believe them for a minute, I could have gotten a second opinion but I needed to use my phone and had had enough of dealing with phone companies.

#8 When I asked if they could cut me a break on the price of the new phone they said "we are a franchise our hands are tied" and shrugged their shoulders. No compassion, no attempt they felt bad for poor service and what was now a much more expensive relationship.

#9 They used the fact they were a franchise as an excuse for poor service. To add insult to injury the neglected to set up my new phone to take phone calls so I had to return to the store to get that fixed.

#10   T-Mobile saying they are a different kind of phone company is a load of crap. To treat new customers the way we were treated is inexcusable.

Hi zgasperg

Welcome to the T-Mobile Community Support Forum.

I am not a T-Mobile employee, but a customer like yourself. I would like to help you anyway I can. Your initial post serves well to provide an overview of what happened. Are there any current still to be resolved problems for which you might be seeking a solution?

Absent you asking for help resolving any particular current issue, I will try to respond to your overall feeling that you have had a very poor initial interaction with T-Mobile customer service.

I have taken the liberty to separate your individual issues into separate, numbered points. Any of my responses are my own opinions, and not necessarily what you would hear from a T-Mo employee.

#1 In order to turn an initial unpleasant experience into a long lasting pleasant rewarding one, i would encourage you to focus on the fact that the 55+ plan you now have is a great plan. It might not be offered indefinitely. There might come a day that you are really glad that you have the plan, and t-mobile won't change it, even if the plan might no longer be offered to new customers. Hopefully the pain of your ordeal will fade and over time you will save a lot of money by having the very economical 55+ plan.

#2 Although T-Mobile customers also  may occasionally experience problems Unlocking T-Mo phones, there are specific published guidelines which make the process relatively easy.

#3 In the future if you are having any trouble at all with T-Mo customer service, please feel free to voice your concerns in this forum and we can try to help point you in the right direction to solve those problems.

#4 A possible reason you had no trouble with the s6 but had problems with the Note 5 are addressed here.

"What about LTE compatibility?"

"Technically, some Sprint devices should be compatible with T-Mobile’s LTE network, and both 2G and 3G service, but T-Mobile currently states that the only Sprint phones eligible for BYOD plans are newer model iPhones."

#5 I am glad to see, at the end of the day T-Mo phone reps were able to resolve your initial problem.

#6 Needless to say the Sprint branded Note 5 does work flawlessly with Sprint. Unfortunately it is not designed to work flawlessly on the T-Mo network as mentioned above in reply # 4. drnewcomb2 provides a very insightful explanation concerning that point. I can understand that you feel that you were forced to buy a new phone. In reality it was necessary to have a T-Mo branded phone to overcome the issues that some older Android Sprint phones have when being used on the T-Mo network.

#7 Hopefully you no longer regret not having the time to research the issue, and receive a second opinion. I believe our replies verify what you were told by the salesman at the store. I hope you will feel better that you didn't waste additional time to see if obtaining a new phone was the only way to solve the problem.

#8 Stores will never "cut you a break", especially the franchises. They have no authority. Personally I never deal with franchise stores since there seems to be a prevailing attitude that the store employees are there to sell stuff and not provide service. Just my personal opinion from years of experience. Rest assured however, that I do concur that purchasing a new phone was the wisest decision on your part.

#9 Some store salesmen are more knowledgeable and or helpful. That is possibly why you had to go back a second time. My guess is that the original salesman might have been in a hurry to finish his sale to you, and make additional sales to other waiting customers. That is why I never will go into any t-Mobile store for purchases or customer service when it is very busy. 

#10 I have been a T-Mobile customer for almost 20 years. Believe me when I say that T-Mobile is definitely a different kind of company. It is a company that has saved me a lot of money compared to that which other carriers would have charged me. It has not always been a smooth ride as a T-Mo customer, but it has definitely been worth the trip. T-Mo will always try to smooth out the bumps in the road. We just have to continue to provide the company with feedback like you are now doing.

I don't know whether you find this reply helpful or not.

I tried to address your observations as objectively as possible.

Feel free to respond with any other thoughts you might have.

Is there any issue you are currently having that has not yet been resolved?

Art

• drnewcomb2

artart wrote:

#4 A possible reason you had no trouble with the s6 but had problems with the Note 5 are addressed here.

I'd just like to say that some of the information in the linked article is either dated or somewhat erroneous. Just because a phone comes from Sprint or Verizon does not mean that it won't be compatible with T-Mobile. At one time, when phones were either GSM or CDMA, this was the case but many phones these days combine both standards. The problem is that the question of which BYODs will work on a given carrier, which won't and which will but to a limited degree, is a question that can be so complex as to make your head spin. This is why I always advise people to look for phones with universal compatibility, such as the Moto G5, iPhone 6s or Nexus 6P, rather than just buying what the carrier offers. So, if you're interested in replacing that S5 with another phone, I'd ask the question, "If I want to port to Sprint or Verizon, will this phone work with those carriers?" If the answer is "No" then look for a different phone. The phones I mentioned work on all of the "Big 4" carriers and their MVNOs. The more customers understand about this the better it will be for both the consumers and the industry.