Branched from an earlier discussion.

DIGITS line not ringing when active

gzgg99

Just went I thought everything was going OK....my app shows everything is fine, the line is active, etc.  But when someone calls me the phone does not ring.

Can someone please tell me what my recourse is?  I cannot operate a business with a phone that doesn't ring.

All replies

• tmo_marissa

Re: DIGITS line not ringing when active

Oh goodness, gzgg99, I'm so sorry if I prompted you to jinx yourself by letting us know things were actually going okay. What happens when you place a test call to that line -- do you hear rings, or does it go straight to voicemail? Has this worked itself out in the hours since your post? Have you had a chance to reach out to our Tech team over the phone to see if there are any immediate steps we can take to try to remedy this? If not, we can absolutely get a ticket filed on our end if needed. I'll go ahead and shoot a PM your way to proactively collect the information in case your reply comes in while I'm off for the evening!

- Marissa

• gzgg99

@Marissa I don't know if you want me to start a different thread since I'm on 1.1.5 but here's the situation:

When I call the line, it rings a few times and then I get my voicemail.  However, the actual phone never rings.  If I check the app setting it shows the line is active.  In order to get the phone to start ringing again, I have to deactivate the line and then reactivate it.  Then it will ring....at least for a while.   I don't know what causes it to stop ringing again.

I have called support, they said to uninstall the App and reinstall it.  I've done that and it's not really an acceptable solution to have to continually reinstall and/or deactivate and reactivate my line so that I know business calls are coming through.

At this point I want a 2nd phone so that I can have a physical SIM operated phone with the current digits number.  But I don't want to have to spend the money to do so, I ported over to this service in order to have one phone with 2 numbers.  I'm only looking to do this short term until the kinks are worked out with the app.  I feel like this app is still in Beta phase and wasn't really ready for prime time.  I called customer service and they gave me a $10 credit for the cost I paid to move the line over.  Nice gesture, but doesn't really solve the problem.  I don't care if they send me a used phone, I just need something that is reliable for now or I'm going to have to port my number back out of T-mobile and that's a giant hassle.

The question is, if I did that, would I still be able to use that number on a 2nd phone as a digits line?  At least that way during off business hours - when the line is actually working - I'd still be able to conduct business if someone happened to call or text me.  So not ideal, during business hours I'd have to carry 2 phones, but better than my phone not working at all.

• tmo_marissa

Hey, gzgg99. I did go ahead and branch this line ringing concern to its own thread from the original (Detailed Analysis of iOS DIGITS App 1.1.4). I also gave it a fresh title so that we could possibly catch the eye of anyone else who might be having this problem or have bumped into it previously.

We would absolutely hate to see you go, but I'm sorry to say that we don't have a way to provide a second device (even temporarily), although I can definitely understand why at this point that seems like a preferable set-up based on the experience you're having. What I can do is send your information over to the DIGITS engineering team so that the issue can be reviewed. You may not be the only customer bumping into this, so if it's an app issue that needs a permanent fix, they're the folks who need to know what's going on. I know that uninstalling and reinstalling and deactivating and reactivating are not ideal; and I assure we don't want this to be a service you have to constantly fiddle with. You're right, it should be reliable.

I did send a PM your way yesterday; I understand if you haven't had a chance to reply yet. When you do have a moment if you'd be so kind as to take a peek in your inbox and respond with those details that would be excellent. I can use them to advise the DIGITS team of what's happening here, as well as get a ticket filed internally if we didn't take care of that when you called in!

- Marissa

• debjitjdv

tmo_marissa

From today onwards I am trying to make short videos in my iPhone to capture all the random behaviors I am seeing in the app. Its really driving me crazy. Not sure how such a buggy app is getting released. In BETA it was 100000x times better.

One pattern I have observed, when I switch from LTE to WiFI or vice versa, the lines are becoming inactive and no way they can become active unless I kill the app and restart. I will start sharing those videos with you soon in PMs. Frankly speaking, I believe at this point of time, DIGITS Engineers should talk with us, the end users directly even if its not the company principle. Let me tag tmo_evan as well. Believe me, I am just trying to help as much as I can. But no app version is really smashing any bugs.

If you ask me about the reliability (in terms of receiving calls, making calls, receiving texts, sending texts, line active) of the app here is the analysis as of writing this:

Multi-line settings in S7 Edge: 100%

Android DIGITS app version 1.1.10: 100%

DIGITS Desktop App Win 64: 100%

iOS DIGITS app version 1.1.5:  < 5%

My question is why? I am a primarily S7 Edge user and Android Fan, I have no issues. But a majority of customers are using iPhone. Why iOS DIGITS app is so unreliable? Its a black and white iOS app issue or how it is dealing with DIGITS servers. I am happy to help any engineers if they directly contact me. I do not mind if they place tracer to find the issue as well.

1 of 1 people found this helpful
                    • gzgg99

tmo_marissa

I have an old iPhone 4S. Is it possible to get service on that with my digits number And use a physical SIM card?  then still have the app on my iPhone 7plus for off hours?  That would still cost my $20/month for an additional physical line thoug, right?

I'll answer the PM when I'm back on a computer.

• tmo_marissa

debjitjdv, you know I will gladly forward all of your videos!
                        To be honest, I don't think the protocol of engineering being an internal (as opposed to customer facing) team is going to change. That said, tmo_chris and I are happy to act as go-betweens in whatever capacity we can. I know it might be frustrating that we don't have specific dates for when app updates are forthcoming, but I promise we're delivering all of the information that the DIGITS team can give us. The WiFi to LTE handoff causing line inactivity is not a pattern I've heard reported when we've been talking about inactive lines; is this something you've taken a video of? If you PM me the link I will be happy to

Image result for all the things

send that over!

This might sound silly but I don't know the breakdown by platform for DIGITS adoption, but I do know that regardless of how many folks are using iOS, Android, or the web client, we want every last bit of it to work for every last person. We appreciate your help in getting there, and can't thank you enough for your patience.

Send me all the things!

- Marissa

• debjitjdv

tmo_marissa

Please see your inbox. I will forward videos one by one. And will give you a short context so that you can explain things better to the engineering team. Possibly you want to keep tmo_evan in loop as well. As long as engineering hear us, by us mean the set of enthusiastic people like me, I am glad to help them anyway.

You will see that I never complained about the Android app because its rock solid except the line identification. But I can live with that. But line becoming inactive in iOS app makes the whole DIGITS thing useless.

• gzgg99

tmo_marissa I answered the PM.

I also made a test call this AM at 10:02 eastern time.  My digit line showed active, I had also deactivated it and reactivated it within the past hour, and the Digits line did not ring.

I deactivated the line again and reactivated it, made a call at 10:03 and the line rings immediately.

Something has got to be done about this...even if this weren't a business line, it would be unacceptable.  Am I the only one having this issue?

• tmo_marissa

Thanks for the PM reply! I am forwarding this to the DIGITS team now.
                          I did confirm with them this morning that you are able to convert a DIGITS line to a Voice line and then move it back to DIGITS, but the pricing question is a little tricky as it depends on your plan; voice lines are priced differently than mobile internet lines and DIGITS lines. Are you currently on a family plan, or do you just have the single voice line and a DIGITS line right now?
                          You are definitely not the only one seeing some of the issues you've mentioned. I'm sure you've noticed that we've had frequent recent iOS app updates; this cadence isn't new -- the team is working to resolve these and previous concerns as quickly as possible, and I know they are working on an app release that's meant to resolve the dialer issues and some of the instabilities ASAP. This is the first ringing concern I've read on the forum and it's not listed in our known or emerging issues just yet.   That said, with the information you've provided hopefully this can be reproduced and resolved post haste. I will keep you posted on what we hear back!

- Marissa

• magenta2513150

No - I have an Iphone 7 plus, and when someone tries to dial my number, it does not ring at all - it goes straight to voicemail.  I have not had problems (of which I am aware, anyway) with texting via the Digits line; however, I was not even aware until today that the line wasn't ringing.  I am very new with this service, and I have yet to receive a call on this line.... now I know why. 

• marshallbaer@icloud.com

Good luck getting the app to work properly on iOS. It's a complete mess.

iOS kills apps that run in the background for too long without use; so if the App is not active it's unlikely to ring.. as the call does not come through your actual iphone dialer, it comes through the DIGITs app as a "VOIP" call. Which the DIGITS app also has to have Cellular Data permission enabled or your device connected to Wifi.

It will also intercept Picture SMS/MMS message... I've had this happen many many times. I finally gave up on the DIGITS app and uninstalled it.

• gzgg99

Killing the background app makes sense.

I wonder if I switch back to data and minutes if it will work. I'll have to sacrifice caller id.

Google voice always worked, so I know in theory this app should work.

As as it is, I'm giving up too. Either porting back to google or getting a second phone

Google Voice works differently. Google Voice actually Forwards the calls to whatever phone number you have set up with them as the "Forwards calls to:" number. To receive calls from Google Voice, you don't actually need the Google Voice App installed. The app is only needed if you want to make calls. Which then it will use a "Forwarding number" to connect your outgoing call. You also have the option of Google Hangouts+Dialer, to make calls.. but making a call from Hangouts is sent over Data/Internet (VOIP/SIP)

The T-mobile DIGITS app on iOS doesn't forward the calls at all. It completely relies on a VOIP/SIP system, meaning the calls come over Wifi (Or Cellular Data if enabled for the app) directly to the app itself, and calls are made from the app over VOIP/SIP. No voice (minutes) used. This is the same way apps like WhatsApp, Facebook Messenger, Viber, WeChat, etc make and receive calls. Yet those apps actual work, where the DIGITS does not.

Open the DIGITS app; keep your screen on.. then from another phone call the DIGITS [Virtual] Number. It should ring then. Well it rang like 2 out of 5 times when I was testing it. -- I'm not saying this is an acceptable solution, because it certainly is not. Just a demonstration that it only works [sometimes] when the app is actually open/active in the foreground.

The Multiple Number DIGITS program actually works best on Samsung Galaxy 8/8+ devices. As they coded the DIGITS service directly into the Android OS; you don't need a separate DIGITS app, because it has the service built directly into the system. You can make/receive calls Directly from the Samsung/Android Dialer from either the primary number or DIGITS (Virtual) number.

I use Google Voice myself (I've used it since it was Invite only back in 2008-9 - because I was a GrandCentral member I got into the invite/beta with google voice) and its certainly the better option over T-Mobile Digits... The only benefit DIGITS has over Google Voice, is if you want the A Single Number on Multiple Devices (Smartphone+Tablet+Smartwatch) -- Even though you can technically get Google Voice on Smartphone and Tablet; its not available on Smartwatch (yet that I know of)

• debjitjdv

marshallbaer@icloud.com

I completely agree with you. Samsung phones + DIGITS Integration works great as of now. I have S7 Edge and I had S6. They worked fine unlike the DIGITS app in iOS. Even DIGITS app in Android works 10x better than the iOS app.

• gzgg99

Does the Samsung 6s Edge have Digits Integrated?  I may go Android for a short period of time if it's working....at least until IOS app works.  My entire family and all my devices are IOS or MacOS.....so I'm well entrenched into Apple.

I've found a few used ones for around $300.

I don’t believe it is integrate, like in newer ones. I have not personally used an older one to know.

Someone did just mention the DIGITs app works better on Android though. So that’s a thought. And the would be the case on probably any Android device, even the cheaper ones.

I would say it’s possible to find a modified ROM, but if your omitted into iOS, you’re probably not familiar with rooting and flashing ROMs.

• debjitjdv

gzgg99

Yes. Samsung S6 Edge has DIGITS in built. It can be found under Settings -> Clouds and Account -> Multi-line settings.

Once you put your SIM card into the device, go to https://mydigits.t-mobile.com/consumer/  and then Enable Digits in the device under the DIGITS I can use Tab. Reboot your device and voila. You will see Multi-line settings. Log in to Multi Line Settings using T-Mo ID and you will be able to see all DIGITS T&T line attached to your T-Mo ID there.

• gzgg99

Does this dual line solution work on any unlocked Galaxy S6, S7 or S8?  Or does it have to be a T-Mobile purchases phone?

• debjitjdv

The Multi-line settings is a T-Mo ROM feature and not available in the unlocked phone ROM. If you find anything which is actually a T-Mo device and unlocked, that can work too. Installing a T-Mo ROM in an unlocked device may not work.

I would have to be running the T-mobile modified Android OS.

If its unlocked, its probably going to be running Samsung's version of Android, without any modifications done by (or for) T-mobile features.

But you could always install the T-mobile ROM on your own.

I linked XDA in another post on here - that would be the place to find all Rooting/ROM help.

• gzgg99

UNBELIEVABLE!!!!!

I went and bought a T-Mobile S8+ and the native multiline settings don't show up....the work around is to install the app and it's a known issue that they are working on.

I'm hopeful that I will at least have a line that rings, but this has been a horrible experience and now I'm out several hundred dollars on a new phone too.

• debjitjdv

You need to enable Multi-line settings first by going to https://mydigits.t-mobile.com/consumer/ , then Enable Multi line under the promary SIM number in the DIGITS I Can use tab

gzgg99

• gzgg99

I've done that.  Called support and they told me to do a hard reset on the phone and if that didn't work then multi-line isn't working on my phone and it's a known issue with the S8+ and they are working on a new ROM for the phone.

Maybe it will sync in a while and start working properly....it does say on some settings it could take 24 hours.

Be careful what you believe when T-mobile Tech Support tells you something; They all read from a "Knowledge" database, its basically an internal/company website that has a bunch of "How-To" articles.. If your issue is not in the database, 99% of the support people because flustered not knowing what to do. So they blame it on a software, or hardware issue, or tell you they are working on the "Known issue" even though it's not really a known issue.

Does multi-line show up under Settings>Cloud and Accounts? Did you buy the phone directly from T-mobile? Or some 3rd-party seller?

The Samsung S8 and S8+ are the same phone; only difference is screen size, and battery size.. They both run the same system/ROM. So if what the Tech Support person told you was true, it would also then be an issue with the S8.

My buddy has the S8+ and DIGITS works just fine for him, without the app. Him and I both were part of the DIGITS beta program.

XDA Forums is the best place to get any kind of Android Support.. 

These are the links to the "Software Updates" for the S8 & S8+  --- as you can see they run the same verizon.

Software updates: Samsung Galaxy S8+

Software updates: Samsung Galaxy S8

• debjitjdv

I agree with marshallbaer@icloud.com . It sometime takes a couple of reboots before Multi-line settings show up. Usually if the Multi line settings is enabled via DIGITS portal, then it should be active in S8. May be you want to reboot it couple of times. But it will show up if its a genuine T-Mo device with T-Mo ROM.

• gzgg99

Definitely a t-mobile ROM...comes up with all the T-Mobile logos upon reset, t-mobile apps, etc.

I'll reboot a few times and give it a few hours as well.  I cycled allow multi device on and off on the web to see if it will cycle it on the phone.

When you go to https://mydigits.t-mobile.com/consumer/ do you see Two different phone numbers listed there? There should be if you have setup for the correct DIGITS program...

There are two different DIGITS optiond; One Allows MULTIPLE numbers on 1 Device. The other offers ONE number on MUTIPLE Devices.

• gzgg99

I do see both numbers listed, but I didn't see any options about setting those numbers up as one number multiple devices vs. one device multiple numbers.

I have rebooted the phones several times and it still doesn't give me multi-line option. I had to install the app.

One thing I did notice is that my account page still shows my device as an iPhone.  Not sure if that could be part of the problem.

• debjitjdv

gzgg99

Try to power cycle couple of times. It should show up. Also make sure you have the latest firmware. I wont suggest rooting if you are not experienced as that may brick the device. Rather if needed and if you wish you better go to at https://www.sammobile.com/firmwares/galaxy-s8/SM-G950U/TMB/ and download the T-Mo ROM and flash using ODIN. You can restore using Samsung Smart Switch Utility and Emergency Software recovery under More. If you are new, do not go for rooting etc. Bricking the device is almost one way road.

The option for One Number|Multiple Devices or Multiple Number|One Device, is actually on your account features page (where you add or remove plan features); Where you can sign up for the DIGITs service at $10/mo (per service.) On of the DIGITS service has to be active on your account; but if you have 2 phone numbers listed in the Digits app/website then the Multi-Number option is on.

If you are wanting to use the Multiple Numbers (on one device) you have to have your account/sim provisioned correctly; that can only be done by a tech rep. Once a rep properly provisions the account, it can take upto 24 hours for the change to fully take effect.

It not showing the "Multiple Line" option in the Settings, might be due to the iPhone still being listed.. as iPhones don't have that function. (at least not yet, if ever.)

Could try calling customer service and have them update your current/active device with the IMEI of the Samsung S8+; Then have them refresh the device on the network; when they do a refresh, make sure the device is powered off. Wait about 10-15min before powering on.

Personally, I would ditch DIGITs and just go back to using Google Voice; It's free, and actually works. (Plus you can have it ring unlimited phones, computers and tablets.)