Severely Disappointed

magenta2515065

This has been the WORST experience with a cell phone company, and I just left Sprint - that should tell you something. We decided to switch to TMobile from Sprint after talking to Tmobile telephone rep. She advised us that I could bring my phone and purchase their BYOD sim card and then we were purchasing two new phones from my husband and Stepson and told we could keep their old phones and Tmobile would reimburse us for the ETFs with Sprint. What an awesome deal...Or so we thought.We take our phones into the store to transfer everything over... somewhere in all of this the "porting" didn't get done correctly and we now have new numbers, a drag but not that big a deal. We also find out in the store that I can't actually bring my own device because we have to be financing three phones on our plan. Again, would have been nice to know before I purchased the Sim card, but I'm okay getting a new phone. It takes two weeks to get Sprint to cancel our current lines with them, due to the lines not being ported correctly, so we're told. We finally get the lines canceled and the total amount for ETFs to submit to TMobile, go to submit the request and we get an error telling us we're outside of the timeframe. We know this isn't that case because we should still have 3 days left. We get someone on the line again (which is REALLY difficult), who gives us an e-mail address to submit the claim though and we've never heard anything back, so we're out over $800 there. Then we get our second bill - our first bill was exactly what we were sold $197 and some change. Our second bill $354 and some change. WHAT?! I expected a slight increase with the monthly payment of the new phone I was made to purchase, but not an extra $157! I get on messaging with a customer service rep who tells me there are prorated fees for changing my plan, I haven't made any modifications since the first bill, and there's nothing she can do for me but my following bills will be $220. Great, thanks.

So, in this switch to TMobile, which was supposed to save me money, I've now spent an extra $1014. I've had some terrible customer service with Sprint in the 10+ years we were with them, but this definitely takes the cake. I really wish I had stayed with them at this point.

All replies

• drnewcomb2

Re: Severely Disappointed

It's a little difficult to follow your stream of consciousness. It's a bit like drinking from a fire hose. I'm perplexed by why you "have to be financing three phones on our plan". I don't know of any T-Mobile plan that requires you to finance a phone. It sounds like there was a huge misunderstanding. There are often big issues getting Sprint to fully unlock their phones so that they can be reused on T-Mobile.

• gramps28

Your best way to get help for an issue like this is to contact T-Mobile through social media.

Contact Us

• tmo_marissa

Hey, magenta2515065. This does sound stressful, time-consuming, and confusing -- we wouldn't want a customer to experience one of those, let alone all three. I'm sorry to read that your first impressions of us have been so frustrating.
            We definitely should have set the expectation of any potential prorated charges while we were making plan changes so that you could budget appropriately; that is totally a reasonable request from a customer and part of the process we should be following when we adjust services and features with a customer. I'm sorry to read that we dropped the ball here.
            I think I can speak to the EIP situation -- that's one of the requirements to participate in Carrier Freedom™. That said, I don't want to alarm you, but I want to ask about the port-in situation you mentioned above. Port-ins are another requirement for the ETF/device balance reimbursement program. What happened when we tried to port your lines over? I know that it sounds like you sent an email over to the Carrier Freedom team; did the team themselves provide you with that address? If so, did we have a chance to chat with you about the port-in situation at that time?
            Sorry for the twenty questions, and thank you so much for reading this far and for taking the time to let us know how this has been playing out for you. We definitely appreciate the feedback, although I certainly wish it had been a better experience in many ways.

- Marissa

• magenta2515065

Hi Marissa, I was told that we were ported-in at the store. I didn't ask for an elaboration, because I trusted the employees. I don't know anything about how to do it or what it entails, so I had no choice. To my knowledge, it was done, however, that now doesn't seem to be the case? We were provided the e-mail address by a T Mobile rep over the phone. I don't know if they were part of the Carrier Freedom division or not, we were just happy to actually get someone we could understand on the line. I appreciate you taking the time to ask, I too wish the experience had been better. 

• drnewcomb2

Marissa is right about the Carrier Freedom trade-in program. The issue is if you actually needed to trade in your phones or not. For instance, if you could have paid off your Sprint phones, gotten a full domestic unlock from Sprint (not always easy) and brought them to T-Mobile as customer-provided phones (BYODs). This process is not always easy, requires some technical understanding of the capabilities of various phones and provides very little incentives for the salesperson to explain the details to the potential customer.  He/she can either 1) go through a long-winded explanation of the details of a process that will take several days (or longer) to complete, after which the customer may, or may not, return and buy several $25 SIMs or 2) can tell you about "Carrier Freedom" and make his sales quota in one shot. Which would you do? 

• magenta2515065

We didn't get a correct explanation of either process, from what I'm now finding out, after spending way more money than I should have.

• tmo_marissa

drnewcomb2 -- this is gonna sound crazy to those of us who have been around for ages, but Carrier Freedom currently doesn't require a trade-in! It switched at the end of May. It does still require a port-in, a new device purchase, submission of your final bill, good account standing, etc -- but we'll reimburse for device payment plans or ETFs without a trade-in these days. So you could port your numbers in, get new phones, then keep your Sprint phones and pay them off when the final bill arrives (and unlock them), then either sell the Sprint phones or keep them as back-ups; but still get the reimbursement.
                            magenta2515065, do you remember giving our retail representatives your Sprint account number and PIN or password so that they could complete the port-in? Was your Sprint service still active the day you came into our store to switch? If you provided this information and we attempted to initiate the port, then we should have system memos in your account that might call out why the port failed! While we can't take a look at those here, we definitely would like to have someone review the notes and see what happened and what can be done. Did you have any luck reaching out to T-Force?
                            I'd also like to go ahead and share the contact information for Carrier Freedom. There's a sort of crazy menu tree, but you can get a representative who can look at your submission by following these steps:

Dial 1-888-390-6867

Press 1 for English or 2 for Spanish.

Press 3.

Press 1.

Press 1.

- Marissa