Gear S3 Duplicated text

shiinzu

Hi, since i got my Gear s3 Frontier i'm having the issue that when i send a text message thru the watch, the text is duplicated on the messaging app on the phone (a Galaxy S7). I called support a couple of times and did many troubleshooting steps including:

• Disable DIGITS on my main Line
    • Teak Settings on the message app on the phone
    • Delete all threads on the message app
    • Light reset the watch
    • Master reset the watch
    • Return the original watch and get a second unit
    • Verify my account settings on T-Mobile's End.
    • Disable message notifications on the Gear app (that defeats the purpose since i don't get alerted)
    • The watch has it's own phone number and data plan.

None of the above has resolved the issue for me, so for now i'm going along with it and posting here on the forums so maybe someone can point me out something i haven't tried yet.

All replies

• tmo_marissa

Re: Gear S3 Duplicated text

For starters, shiinzu, kudos for all the troubleshooting you've completed, and thanks for outlining the steps here!
        I don't think I've seen any issues exactly like this, but can I ask for a little clarification on what's happening? You send a friend a message from your Gear, and then on your phone you see the same outgoing message in your sent messages, or is it sending it a second time?

- Marissa

• shiinzu

Good afternoon.tmo_marissa.

Thanks for taking the time to answer. To clarify, yes when i send a text message using my Gear and it's connected to the phone by bluetooth when i check the thread on the Messaging app on the phone I first a copy of my sent message (I think that's the Gear app syncing) and a couple of seconds later a second copy of my sent message appears. The recipient of the message only gets it once.

I'm including a capture made from the phone illustrating this issue, my account is from Puerto Rico, so the text will be in spanish but as you can see at the end i sent the word testing from my Gear.

I even tried using the watch in standalone mode but as soon that it syncs with the Gear app on the phone even when remote connected this issue persists.

Hope this clarifies things.

Sidesync_capture_20170903172212_1.jpg

• tmo_marissa

Ooooh, that screen shot helps, thank you!
                I don't use a Gear myself, so for set-up tips I always fall back on this thread that our DIGITS master created during Beta, Please read:  Duplicate SIM issues megathread. For a user with a duplicate SIM/eSIM in a Gear, the DIGITS team "recommends using the Gear S2/S3 in standalone mode and not actively connecting to the watch.  When/if you do connect it via bluetooth, we recommend turning off notifications for all phone functions (messages, calls, voicemail as well as making sure that auto-forwarding is turned off).  We also recommend keeping on the cellular radio all the time."

Is this already how you've got things set up? If not, could you give this a shot and let me know if you're still seeing double messages? Thank you!

- Marissa

• shiinzu

I have not set i up like that because the watch itself it's not activated for digits only the phone was (Right now is still off) if i do that i dont receive any notifications on the watch and what's the point of having it then...

Edit:

I reactivated Digits on my Phone line and set my watch as stand alone. They work as two independent units, i get no notifications and none of the experience described in the linked thread.

• tmo_marissa

Oh, I gotcha! I am sorry, I assumed that you had the watch activated as a DIGITS line and was flummoxed, and thought that set-up could be an issue.
                        So circling back (sorry!), can I ask if your Gear had this problem before you started using DIGITS on the S7? Or did you have the phone first, and get the Gear second (in which case that question might not be answerable)?

- Marissa

• tmo_chris

Hey shiinzu,

How are things going? Did you still need help?

• shiinzu

Still have the issue. But i haven't been able to reply due to hurracaine Irma's effects on the island of Puerto Rico.

Sent from my T-Mobile 4G LTE Device

• tmo_marissa

Hey, shiinzu! Are you located in PR? If so, we hope you and your friends and family are all safe and well! I totally understand it may take some time to get back to this!
                                  Whenever you've got some time to let us know, we were just wondering if the issue started after you enrolled in DIGITS, or if you were having trouble with duplicated messages prior to DIGITS enrollment. Please let us know if there's anything else we can do for you!

- Marissa