Cancellation fees?

mamabear1117

I have 5 lines plus two separate lines for a tablet and hotspot. I was thinking about cancelling one of the phone lines completely since it is not being used at all including the phone (the phone is paid off completely too) What would the cancellation fee be?!

All replies

• artart

Re: Cancellation fees?

Hi mamabear1117

Since T-Mo did away with contracts, there are no cancellation (early termination) fees.

Are any of your lines recently added free promotional lines?

Art

1 of 1 people found this helpful
          • mamabear1117

I don't believe any of my lines were free. Unless the 4 lines for 120$ back in December 2015 counts as that?

• artart

mamabear1117 wrote:

I don't believe any of my lines were free. Unless the 4 lines for 120$ back in December 2015 counts as that?

Hi mamabear1117

You will not be able to cancel any of those lines to save any money. That is a basic package which cannot be altered. You would have to replace it with a plan for 3 lines for a lower price. I don't believe that a better plan currently exists.

If you have any additional lines added to the 4 line promo plan, canceling one of those lines might save some money.

Beware of anybody trying to talk you into giving up a valuable older grandfathered plan to save you money. It is a good idea to post the details of anything you contemplate doing right here as you are doing now.

If you end up keeping the "extra line", let me know. I will share with you how I use my "extra" free line since I am not paying for it anyway.

Art

• mamabear1117

Well like I said I have 5 phone lines, so wouldn't the one line that gets cancelled not bother the 4 lines for 120? Since i'm paying an extra 20$ for the 5th line?

• artart

mamabear1117 wrote:

Well like I said I have 5 phone lines, so wouldn't the one line that gets cancelled

not bother the 4 lines for 120? Since i'm paying an extra 20$ for the 5th line?

Hi mamabear1117

I believe there would be no regrets on your part

if you cancel the 5th  $20/month line.

I would however make sure you verify the terms (and additional line options) with the customer service rep when canceling the line you (currently) do not need. Some day you might need the 5th line and would want to be able to reactive it for a "grandfathered plan" reduced rate of only $20/month.

Be sure to let the rep know that you absolutely do not want to change your existing basic plan. You only want to drop an "optional" feature. Ask the rep what your new total monthly bill will be.

After canceling the 5th line, call back immediately and talk to a different rep and verify what the first rep told you was correct. Verify that your account was updated to reflect the canceled line; and the fact that you can activate it again in the future for only $20 month. Verify that you still are on the same grandfathered plan.

Before you do call to cancel please read my reply, regarding other uses for an extra line.

Art

• mamabear1117

If I do keep it, how are you not paying for yours? I let my 6 year old use it for games and youtube since she broke her tablet. I don't need nothing but internet on it, which we have wifi at home!

• artart

mamabear1117 wrote:

#1 If I do keep it, how are you not paying for yours?

#2 I let my 6 year old use it for games and youtube since she broke her tablet.

#3 I don't need nothing but internet on it, which we have wifi at home!

mamabear1117

I have an extra line that is not currently needed as a phone.

I received the free line from T-Mo last March. The free line was offered to all of us who were aware of the offer, and signed up before the offer expired.  It was even available for those of us who were on grandfathered plans such as yours. If you had been aware of  the offer and wanted to drop your paid 5th line and receive a free 5th line, you would not have been permitted to do that.

If you had already canceled your current 5th line as you are now contemplating, you would have been able to receive a 5th line for free last March. Since a free line offer might appear again in the future, it is one reason to cancel your 5th line now if you have absolutely no other use for it.

It is a good Idea for you to check in here in the community forum from time to time to see if there any freebies available. The offer was also available through the T-Mobile Tuesdays, free stuff that is given away every single Tuesday.

If you decide to keep the line, your 6 year old can still use it

for the same purpose. There might also be some additional use for it as a hotspot.

You might examine the need for your tablet and hotspot lines.

What are the data allowances, per phone of your basic plan? What if any hotspot allowances do those phones include?

I personally have unlimited data on a total of three household phones, including the free one,  Each has unlimited data with 7GB of hotspot allowance.

I can stream unlimited YouTube videos using my grandfathered "Binge On" feature without counting against my hotspot allowance. All other non Binge  On data, counts against my hotspot allowance of 7GB per month. I have therefor a minimum of 21GB of hotspot data available each month.

Because of the Binge On  option, I have available a total of at least *96GB of data per month I can use on my phone, tablet, and laptop, for viewing YouTube or VUDU movies. (* The 96GB is a cap that might be imposed due to network congestion.)

I absolutely have no need to pay for a separate hotspot plan. I do not  have to pay a premium to buy tablets which can receive data directly from T-Mobile. I use Wi-Fi only tablets using my phones as hotspots.

Depending upon your basic plan's data allowances, you might consider saving  money by canceling a hotspot and or tablet plan, especially ifyou can use the 5th line as a hotspot. The $20 per month 5th line cost might be cheaper than an existing hotspot plan.

A final consideration is that (like cancelling your 5th line), suspending a tablet or hotspot line, would most likely be able to be reinstated at a later date if those data plans are optional features of the your existing grandfatherd plan.

Art

• gramps28

There shouldn't be any cancellation fee with the phone paid off but with that being said

and with all the promos Tmobile has had canceling a line might effect the promo rate

so your best bet is to contact T-Mobile directly.

Contact Us

2 of 2 people found this helpful
                      • orodrig23

The good news is there is no cancellation fee for any of your lines. However, the balance on the devices (if any) for those mobile numbers will become due upon cancellation. If you are not cancelling the entire account you are fine. But if you are you will have to pay for all equipment including the remaining balance on any free tablets via bill credits. As long as you are clear of those EIPs (equipment installment plans) you are in the clear my friend.

• tmo_chris

Hey mamabear1117,

Did you still have questions about canceling one of your lines? Our awesome community remembers here have some great advice.

• tmo_chris

Just checking in here to see how things are going. Please let us know if you still have questions.