T-mobile won't unlock my phone, despite the fact that my account is in good standing.

bt2460

Hello,

First post ever. I'm not usually one to posts things but this issue has me going crazy (and hating on T-mobile even though I've been one to like their service for years).

I finished paying my iPhone 6 a few months ago, and I pay my bill on time every month. I asked T-mobile to unlock my iPhone 6 since I will be traveling abroad this week (I put in the first request 2 weeks before my trip). They have sent me an email saying my phone has been unlock and then another email saying they haven't been able to unlock it, every time I call to request it being unlock. This has been very frustrating as I have erased my phone and settings every time they send me the first email !! (it takes my phone about 2 hours or more to reset all the info)!

I have contacted Apple and they have been very clear on saying that their database shows the phone as being locked to T-mobile but they can't do anything unless T-mobile. Finally some nice dude who is an Apple tech in T-mobile customer service found that somehow the issue was that I exchanged my iPhone through the insurance a while back and they do this through Verizon or something of sorts... who knows? He says they will have to send me a new phone and I have to talk to the Insurance people.. he then goes on to ask if my iPhone 6 has any physical damage.. and it does!! So he knows says that I would have to pay a 175 USD deductible (or a quantity of sorts)  for them to send me a new phone that they can actually unlock!!!

I have already finished paying my iPhone and the crack at the bottom corner of it does NOT bother ME!! I do not care to get a new phone with no damage and so I think it is unfair they want to charge me because they for some reason ARE NOT CAPABLE of unlocking my phone!! I was not even thinking of changing carriers at this point and only want my phone unlocked because I am traveling out of the country!

By this point I have spend about 3 hrs (in separate calls) on the phone with either T-mobile or Apple, and are beyond frustrated as my trip is coming up... I should be worrying about what to pack and not the fact that my phone is locked even though I comply with all requirements for it to be unlocked by T-mobile .

Thanks

All replies

• gramps28

Have you tried contacting Tmobile through social media to request the unlock code?

Contact Us

2 of 2 people found this helpful
        • bt2460

I will try this later today, and update if there's any good outcome, thanks!

• tmo_amanda

Hey, bt2460!

I just wanted to swing by to see if you've had a chance to contact T-Force. Keep us posted on the outcome.

• bt2460

Hello, so quick update, gramps28 @amanda, I did contact the T-forces and they have been way more helpful and tried to resolved my issue. i hadn't posted an update because the issue hasn't been resolved. As I mentioned before they wanted me to go through the claim with Assurant and pay the 175, except the very helpful twitter representative offered to credit this amount to my account since. I accepted and received the new iPhone and sent mine back.. they did a new request for the New phone (this was last night) and today I received the email that said they were unable to unlock it (just as before)! So I contacted the twitter team again, re attached this thread and insisted that they don't do the same again, as I've restarted my phone about 5 times by now..so the representative said they would now pass he issue to their offline team.. (sort of what @tmo_marissa mentioned before) (having trouble tagging people, sorry!!)

So as of now, I have a new still blocked iphone (my flight leaves tonight) but I'm waiting for updates from the twitter representative on the issue with the offline team now.. at least is a new approach and hopefully it'll work this time!

Thank you to all for your recommendations!

and please disregard any typos I'm sort of typing on the go   !

• tmo_marissa

Welcome, bt2460, and thanks for posting! I'm so sorry to read about what you're going through. It sounds like all of the requirements to be eligible to unlock your phone are met -- usage, paid in full, active account in good standing -- and that's awesome! Although the insurance replacement may complicate getting your device unlocked, it should not prevent us from doing so.
                When a customer's phone is replaced through either insurance agency (Assurant or the legacy insurance vendor Asurion), there are system memos in the customer's account with the replacement IMEI and the insurance Claim ID. We need to take that system memo's information and the pertinent unlock information (including one of the request numbers for the denied unlock requests that have been filed) and send an unlock escalation email to our offline team. They can work with the manufacturer directly and get this accomplished.
                While this process isn't as quick as a standard unlock, we have these escalation policies for these scenarios -- when we need to unlock a device with an IMEI that is not in our database. I definitely agree with gramps28 that T-Force might be a great resource for this -- if you can reach out to them on Facebook or Twitter and provide the link to this thread they should know just what escalation policy and email I'm referencing. Please keep us posted!

- Marissa

1 of 1 people found this helpful
                • tidbits

bt2460 wrote:

Hello,

First post ever. I'm not usually one to posts things but this issue has me going crazy (and hating on T-mobile even though I've been one to like their service for years).

I finished paying my iPhone 6 a few months ago, and I pay my bill on time every month. I asked T-mobile to unlock my iPhone 6 since I will be traveling abroad this week (I put in the first request 2 weeks before my trip). They have sent me an email saying my phone has been unlock and then another email saying they haven't been able to unlock it, every time I call to request it being unlock. This has been very frustrating as I have erased my phone and settings every time they send me the first email !! (it takes my phone about 2 hours or more to reset all the info)!

I have contacted Apple and they have been very clear on saying that their database shows the phone as being locked to T-mobile but they can't do anything unless T-mobile. Finally some nice dude who is an Apple tech in T-mobile customer service found that somehow the issue was that I exchanged my iPhone through the insurance a while back and they do this through Verizon or something of sorts... who knows? He says they will have to send me a new phone and I have to talk to the Insurance people.. he then goes on to ask if my iPhone 6 has any physical damage.. and it does!! So he knows says that I would have to pay a 175 USD deductible (or a quantity of sorts) for them to send me a new phone that they can actually unlock!!!

I have already finished paying my iPhone and the crack at the bottom corner of it does NOT bother ME!! I do not care to get a new phone with no damage and so I think it is unfair they want to charge me because they for some reason ARE NOT CAPABLE of unlocking my phone!! I was not even thinking of changing carriers at this point and only want my phone unlocked because I am traveling out of the country!

By this point I have spend about 3 hrs (in separate calls) on the phone with either T-mobile or Apple, and are beyond frustrated as my trip is coming up... I should be worrying about what to pack and not the fact that my phone is locked even though I comply with all requirements for it to be unlocked by T-mobile .

Thanks

My guess you bought a Reseller Flex Policy phone from a 3rd party retailer like BestBuy.

It is one of the WORST Policies Apple has.  The problem arises these iPhones are unlocked until activated with a sim card in it.  Now here's the problem Apple DOES NOT give these IMEI's to carriers once they are locked to that specific carrier.  That's why they are not in the database, and this is why this problem happens.  Now if Apple would only give these IMEI's to carriers WHEN they are locked it would solve the problem, but Apple doesn't do this, and their reps are told of this policy, but it is real.

1 of 1 people found this helpful