Bad/no Signal

aznjayenyce

Hello, I got t mobile service yesterday and I have been having a lot of issue with it since then. Since signing up there has been either no signal or very low signal when i am at home. Went to my local retail store to ask what the problem was and they told me it might have to do with the area that i live in and was advised to contact customer support. Upon calling I was not able to hear the rep very clearly since there was a lot of static even when was making the call from outside. I have the Galaxy Note 5 while my parents use grand prime which they got from cricket wireless. I was told by the rep that because our phone does not have the same frequency as the high end tower that they use (LTE) that is what is causing the problem. I was even suggested that I should get new phones. Any advice or tip on what should be done?

All replies

• drnewcomb2

Re: Bad/no Signal

Samsung tailors their phones to work  best with the carrier that sells them. It's not enough to say "Galaxy S5", you also have to say what the exact model is (e.g. G900V, G900A, G900T, etc). The specs on this site for the G900T appear to be messed up (feigning surprise) but on GSMarena.com it says this phone does not have band-12. I'm not sure of the specs of the Cricket Grand Prime.

Can you tell us where you are located (e.g. Zip Code)?

• miket

Do you know if TM works for other people in your area?   As the above reply stated, your phone simply might not have all of TM's bands. 

• aznjayenyce

My Note 5 model number is SM-N920C

the model for the Grand Prime are SM-G530AZ for both.

im located in New York 11368

My gf got me the note 5 from a friend that owns a cricket wireless retail which he said the phone was unlocked.

When i went to ask at the retail store. The guy that i spoke to, he said that he also have low signal so im not sure if its just me or the area in general.

I did request for a signal booster which will arrive by monday. However, im not sure if that will solve the issue.

• aznjayenyce

I do get signal outside. For some reason when I was calling customer service yesterday there was a lot of static on the phone and there were moments where the rep was breaking up while I was outside.

And no i do not have a TM branded phone.

• tmo_marissa

Hey, aznjayenyce! I know that our users here have offered a few suggestions about potential compatibility conflicts, but I wanted to check in and see how things were going. I took a look at the area where you're located; it does look like there's some modernization there that was just completed about a week ago, and another tower currently undergoing modernization that we anticipate will be on air in another few weeks, so that may have the potential to improve the experience for you. Were you able to determine if a booster was a good fit for you? If you don't have strong signal near a window to amplify, but do have high speed internet at home, a 4GLTE CellSpot might be a better fit! Are you still using the Note5? Have you noticed any improvement or did you move forward with a coverage device since your initial post?

- Marissa

• tmo_chris

Hey aznjayenyce ,

How are things going? Please let us know if you still need help.

• tmo_marissa

Hi there, aznjayenyce! Just wanted to check in with you once more and see how you're doing!

- Marissa