Insurance

magenta2478527

How has insurance changed over the years? I'm on the original Jump program with PHP insurance.  Normally when I have an issue with a phone I would call CC (customer care) and with my insurance, they will do a warranty exchange. I would then receive it at home or pick it up at the store and pay $5. I'm having issues with my iPhone and now they are directing me to apple. Why is that?

Thanks for any responses.

All replies

• tidbits

Re: Insurance

If it is a warranty problem Apple is actually the best to go through.  If it is damaged caused by you then it's best use your insurance. 

Exactly what problem are you having?

1 of 1 people found this helpful
          • magenta2478527

My phone does not have any physical or liquid damage. I don't not need to make a insurance claim.  I'm having a hardware issue with Bluetooth. I have done all the trouble shooting with no success. If someone could please help me with my original question. What has changed over the years with insurance? Why does T-MOBILE no longer do warranty exchanges ?

• tidbits

That would be warranty and no insurance.  With iPhones it's generally best to go to Apple, because often they'll give you a BRAND NEW one versus a refurbished.  

T-Mobile does carry replacements, but for the iPhone I believe Apple changed how it is handled or hands out less refurbished units.  All you need to do is contact Apple tell them what you've done and they'll send you a new unit within 2days, and you send yours back to them.

• orodrig23

T-Mobile still provides warranty coverage for your device. The process for how warranty exchanges are done has changed, though. In the past the devices were shipped to the customer directly to the address of choice and the $5 processing fee would be billed. Now T-Mobile will ship it to the store of your choice for pick up. Upon pick up you now have to pay the $5 processing fee at the point of exchange.

The reason for this is simple. This is in order for T-Mobile representatives to inspect the defective device before accepting it into the inventory and having it shipped back. If your device is cracked/liquid damaged you will be informed by the rep that your device is no longer in warranty due to the physical condition and advised to either repair it or use your PHP/PDP if you are subscribed.

• Re: Insurance

T-Mobile still does warranty exchange is on iPhones with PHP. They were offering some ad on plan having to do with AppleCare. I don't have that myself. I have had to do an exchange in the past few months it cost me five dollars and was mailed to the store where I picked it up and gave them the defective unit. If you go with Apple you'll have to put a credit card on file for a hold to be placed upon that card for the full cost of the phone. As soon as they get back The broken unit and verified they will credit your account back and take the hold off of the credit card.

• tmo_marissa

Hi, magenta2478527! Device Protection has changed a little bit recently -- in March of this year we added AppleCare at no additional cost for eligible devices. We made the change to add value to device protection programs so that Apple users could take advantage of great price points for certain services through Apple that would otherwise run a standard deductible. Have you upgraded since March, or do you recall having a discussion with a representative about switching your insurance plan to include this feature? Did you wind up completing a device exchange? Please let us know how things are going for you!

- Marissa

• magenta2478527

I believe I did a device exchange in sometime earlier this year. I remember when I was in the store picking up my device I was told I could have apple care added for free if  I registered within 15 days but I never did. My issues is an apple store is 45 mins away from me and I have to set an appointment that could take hours. There's a T-mobile store 5 mins away that always handles any of my issues. I have 4 months old twins that cry and hate car rides, it's no way I'm making it to the apple store. Is there any way or special I have to say to do a warranty exchange through T-mobile like the did previously?

• tmo_marissa

Yowch. As a parent to two children who both went through severe anti-carseat phases, I feel you. I am so glad that you've had great experiences at our store, that's a huge compliment -- and I totally appreciate why the circumstances you've outlined add to a desire to continue with that process. Going forward, since most Apple hardware (including iPhone and iPad devices) comes with a one-year limited warranty, we are leveraging Apple's established process to complete repairs and replacements within that year. While we will continue to own troubleshooting at the basic level to rule out network and account issues, when we've determined it's a device issue, we'll refer to Apple for the best resolution. As Apple devices become more and more sophisticated, they're also the utmost experts on their equipment (hardware, OS, and app store), we believe they're the best place to get your device issues addressed. Apple has the ability in some cases to repair equipment on the spot, so working with them could prevent an unnecessary complete exchange and decrease wait times for many customers who are having device trouble. I understand that when you're staring down an appointment that could take a few hours, that doesn't seem awesome -- but comparing that to a few days for a shipment and return for an exchange that might not have been needed, the Apple option could potentially do the most good for the most people. That said, if bringing the device in isn't an option, you can choose to send it in for repair instead, although I know it's not as quick!
                          I can tell from your post that this is not what you were hoping to hear, and I'm sorry to be delivering news that you're not stoked about. Right now we have escalation processes for certain one-off situations, but those are warranty/hardware related and anticipated to be rare. I will definitely pass this feedback on. Although I can't promise that the policy will become elective, I think this is a user scenario worth amplifying, and we appreciate such personal input.

- Marissa

• magenta2478527

I know this is a different topic, but I'm on the originally Jump how can I switch to Jump on demand. and is there any fee for switching? I think I'll just get another phone. I purchased my phone in dec so I'm eligible.  

• tmo_marissa

Great question! If you're just wanting to JUMP!, turn in the existing device and initiate a new installment plan, then as long as there's no device damage the only costs you'd incur are the up front payment for the taxes on the full MSRP and any down payment if applicable. To switch from an equipment installment plan to a JUMP! On Demand lease, you have two options.
                                  First, you can trade in your existing device and pay off any remaining EIP balance not covered by the trade-in (iPhones retain value pretty well, so hopefully this wouldn't be a huge amount), and then start the lease for the new device on JOD. What you'd pay up front would depend on trade in value, outstanding EIP balance, and any down payment required for the new phone. With JOD, the taxes are billed monthly along with the lease amount, so you would only pay taxes up front on whatever the required down payment was (if any), rather than the whole phone. You would not owe taxes on the remaining EIP balance, because you made that payment when you started the installment plan.
                                  Second, if you wanted to keep your iPhone and start a JOD lease for a new device, you would need to pay the EIP balance in full prior to initiating the lease. While it's not the most affordable option of the two, you would own the phone outright once this was done, and so you could give it to a friend or family member or unlock it and sell it on your own if you liked!

- Marissa