Branched to a new discussion.

Problems with Digits

TMobile should get big kudos for their work on developing Digits.  In theory, Digits is a phenomenal idea.  But in daily use, it unfortunately is not ready for prime time.

Problems reported to TMobile that have not received remedy:

1.) Digits adds unauthorized entries to the iPhone address book. These must be removed manually.  And they never stop.

2.) Digits is frequently offline. Opening the TMobile app and trying to access a Digits line is frequently not possible because the Digits lines are off line.

(TMobile sent me a text message last week advising me that they are terminating my Digits virtual line on September 1st because of inactivity.  The problem isn't my "inactivity."  The problem is that Digits is so frequently unusable.

3.) Digits dialer doesn't work.  My Digits dialer hasn't worked in over a week.  If you type in a number, Digits' dialer scrambles the number and makes it "undialable."  The other day, I tried a dozen different numbers.  NONE OF THEM WORKED.  Why?  Digits would take the number I input and scramble it.  I tried putting in the number for the White House which is 202.456.1414.  Digits completely scrambled the number into some sort of random nonsense that obviously made the number undialable. No matter how many times I tried, it was the same outcome.  A scrambled number.

I've been signed out of Digits for several days because ... well the app simply is a waste of time because it doesn't work.  Thinking the dialer problem might have just been a temporary glitch, I signed in again this morning.  I tried dialing a stupidly simple number.

I tried 310.555.1212

Here's what Digits' dialer did with that input ...

Screen Shot 2017-08-21 at 10.22.49 AM.png

310.555.1212 is the number I input.

Digits read that as 1055-512-213.

How does this make any sense at all?

I'm not going to continue to post and repost complaints on the board about Digits.  TMobile does a LOT of things reallllllllly well. But they also, like any enterprise, have a LOT of things they can work on.  TMobile's culture is a youth oriented environment where there is a tremendous amount of "rah-rah."  Employees are told that new products are the greatest things to ever happen and the employee culture embraces that and ignores all customer feedback no matter how serious and how valid.  TMobile is caught up in "buying their own BS" right now.  Digits has a LOT of problems.  The problems are being ignored. This is a problem.  I've been inside companies who ignored customer feedback on serious deficiencies about newly released products.  Often that does not end well.  TMobile wants to romance the business community.  And Digits is one of the arrows in their quiver to try and accomplish that.  Unless the Digits problems are resolved, this could blow up in their faces.

Digits has a lot of problems.  They need to be addressed.  Today they are not being addressed.  I hope TMobile wakes up because I am a TMobile customer and fan who wants TMobile to be successful.

All replies

• debjitjdv

Re: Problems with Digits

tomodell

Problem 2 is absolutely legitimate. I reported it more than thrice now but update comes after update but nothing happens. It juts says big changes in the backend whereas the basic functionality is broken.

Problem 1 was there for me but with 1.1.3, I am not seeing anymore. Could it be due to some sort of stale data? You are quite technical in these issues. Can you logout, uninstall, install and relogin? (I am assuming you have already done this)

Problem 3 is something I am seeing as well but intermittently. Its not happening with me all the time.

Problem 4 (which I see) DIGITS fails to identify the line being called in its latest update. It was a problem in EAP but anyways they released the software with the problem in built. tmo_chris tmo_evan

• Re: Problems with Digits

Hi Debjitjdv.  My reason for posting is not the pursuit of a solution.  I've given up on that. TMobile has had plenty of time to either address the issues or report progress on their work to fix Digits.  They've done neither. Not trying to be harsh.  I love TMobile and am glad to use them as my carrier of choice.  They do a lot of great things for me in their service.  But Digits is a losing proposition.

My reason for posting is to give TMobile feedback.  I was a beta tester.  Everything seemed to work ok in beta mode but everything now seems to have fallen apart. TMobile can fix the product or they can allow it to die.  Today, it is on the road to dying.  The business world is NOT going to buy into a product that is unreliable in connectivity or has a dialer than only sporadically works.

I am quasi abandoning Digits.  I've signed out of it and put it into a junk app folder.  I may even remove it altogether from my iPhone. In it's place, I have resumed my use of Google Hangouts which works excellently.  By the way, I have a tech background and long ago tried all the solutions you recommended. Digits still is a disappointment and does not work reliably.

I hope TMobile's staff considers taking our input seriously.  To date they have not.

Cheers.

• magenta2001173

I am on iPhone 7 plus. I was not with the beta group.  I did participate with EAP. 

The Digits app was not perfect before joining EAP but at least I knew who as calling my DIGITS line. Now, I wonder why do I even have DIGITS?

i signed up for DIGITS because I wanted to carry one phone not two. I have missed so many calls.  I am constantly checking to see if my lines are active.  Even with the app running in the background I miss calls.  My lines go inactive.

I love T-Mobile.  I will keep patiently waiting hoping they will fix these issues to make DIGITS work. 

I wanted to write in support to say, I understand how you feel.

1 of 1 people found this helpful
              • tmo_marissa

magenta2001173, I wanted to check in with you directly here! I remembered filing a bug report for you previously for the line identification concern in the EAP -- I just double checked and it is still open and being tested. How often are your lines going inactive? Did this start recently, or has this been a problem since you started with the EAP, or before that?

- Marissa

• magenta2001173

I am using iOS app on an IPhone 7plus.  The lines inactivity seems to have started in EAP version.  It continues in the public version.

Do not recall it happening pre EAP or possibly it was not happening as much then. Hard to recall.

I am always checking if app is running in the background. Even when it is running in the background, if the app goes without being used, both lines are inactive. It's like the app shuts itself down to save energy making both lines inactive.

Lines going inactive is a daily occurrence. I have reinstalled the app. Power cycled my iPhone. Still happens.

And yes, no line identification but thx for letting me know a ticket is still open and being tested. I greatly appreciate it.

• tmo_marissa

Yeesh -- good to know. I know you might not have been documenting this, but I'd love to shoot a PM your way to collect some information, and if you could give me a few approximate times for when the lines are going inactive we'll get a ticket filed for this as well. I do already have one open for debjitjdv for lines going inactive after periods of time without use; and I think additional examples would be helpful if you don't mind! Let me know if that's OK and I'll send a private message to you.

- Marissa

• magenta2001173

It's okay to send me a PM. I do not mind at all.  I will be more proactive in the documentation of the inactive lines.  Thx again

• magenta2001173

Ever since I downloaded DIGITS 1.1.4, which was Tuesday, so far not once have my lines went inactive. Possibly, this update helped with this. Yay!

Still no no fix on who is calling which line. Hopefully, this fix will come soon.

The dialer is still a bit clunky, wonky. I feel it could be smoother and quicker. It takes too long for the xxx 413 number to come up to dial out. It's jumpy.

My contacts went haywire though after the update. I have some contacts listed 5 and 6 times in DIGITS app and on my Device.

Okay, I will keep an eye out for inactive lines but so far so good. Thx for all you do. Sharon

• tmo_marissa

Hi, all. I know that changes aren't happening as swiftly as we'd all like (and it definitely sounds like some changes between Beta and now were not for the better), but I want to assure you that the DIGITS engineering team is still hard at work perfecting the product -- whether handling critical issues like the recent outage or working through tickets filed by our Tech team (and on occasion, by tmo_chris and myself) to get to root causes and implement fixes.
                        tmo_evan is out for a short time, so I don't want anyone to misinterpret his lack of replies as a willful absence. Working with his team to facilitate DIGITS conversations and feedback, especially during Beta when the Community was a primary location for troubleshooting and bug reports, has been great and I know he/we all care very much that DIGITS works reliably, ingeniously, and is an asset to the user.

We appreciate your input and are, as ever, passing it on. Although the engineering team prefers tickets be filed in most instances, so that they have the individual subscriber information necessary to run traces/repro issues, with general feedback posts like this one (or odd scenarios that are better described with pictures, thank you) we can still forward the thread information directly, and definitely are. Although we're not able to provide the particulars you're looking for -- this change will happen on this date, etc. -- I don't want you to think that you're posting in a vacuum, or that the DIGITS team has disbanded and moved to various islands to drink pink things and work on their base tans.

We want to get this right. Your feedback is important. Thank you for taking the time to share it.

- Marissa

• artart

tmo_marissa wrote:

I don't want you to think that you're posting in a vacuum, or that the DIGITS team

has disbanded and moved to various islands to drink pink things and work on their base tans. 

We want to get this right. Your feedback is important. Thank you for taking the time to share it.

- Marissa

marissa (tmo_marissa)

Marissa: These are not obscure or small problems.  They are "poke-a-finger-in-your-eye"problems.

1.) Digits does not reliably remain connected.  I have two TMobile phones I use Digits on.  My primary iPhone7 is a 50/50 proposition as to whether Digits will be active if I check it.  About 50% of the time, it's active. 50% of the time, it's offline.  On my 2nd phone, Digits is NEVER active.  Never.  Ever.  Never.  Zip. Zero. Nada. Zilch.

Digits can't be a serious business tool if its reliability is 50% on a good day.

2.) The DIALER DOESN'T WORK. Seriously, how can TMobile keep a straight face without laughing?  THE DIALER DOESN'T WORK? That's pretty bad.  And NOW TMo is threatening to terminate my virtual Digits line for inactivity.  CAN YOU BELIEVE THAT?  DIGITS DOESN'T WORK AND TMO IS PULLING MY LINE FOR INACTIVITY?  That's a joke right? (no it isn't).

3.) Digits messes up your address book.  Does TMo management really think with corporate security being what it is that adding wads of unauthorized entries to executives' address books is gonna cut it with IT managers?  I worked for the biggest data processing company on the planet.  I can assure you that their IT department would be kicking TMo squarely in the rear end if they sanctioned Digits and it does to senior executives' phones what it does to mine.

These are SIGNIFICANT PROBLEMS and NONE OF THEM ARE NEW.  They've been reported over and over and over and over. I personally have been reporting the address book fiasco since Digits left Beta.

I'm going to shut up now.  I think I've made my point.  Love TMobile.  But the team in charge of Digits needs to get a tough visit from Mr. Legere and they need to be told to get their act together.  Digits gets update after update and NOTHING CHANGES. 

• tmo_marissa

Hey, tomodell. Let me start by apologizing -- if my silly joke about mai tais misfired, that is 100% on me and I am super sorry. I know some of our Community members are used to our personality, but I failed to consider that it might fall flat here. It was not my intention to insinuate that the issues you're reporting are insignificant. By calling them "odd" I simply meant that our internal ticket system does not easily lend itself to reporting problems like this; admittedly it was built to report network issues, not intricate app issues.
                                  I am sending a reply to your most recent PM with some additional information requested by the DIGITS team that I'd love to forward to them. If you have the opportunity to take a look, we'd be very grateful.

- Marissa

I’ve removed the Digits app from my TMobile devices and removed all Digits permissions from my MyTMobile profile.

As far as I know, that should remove Digits from my life.

I’m tired of wasting time on this. TMobile should be proud of trying to be an innovator with this technology. And at the same time, TMobile should hand their heads in collective shame for allowing a seriously flawed product to remain broken weeks and months after being told by dedicated customers that there are serious problems with the technology.

GoogleVoice/GoogleHangouts works perfectly everyday. It’s never offline. It never fills my addressbook up with garbage entries and it’s dialer has never not worked. Never. Not even one time.

Thank you Google.

Signing off with Digits. Good luck all.

• tmo_marissa

Good morning, tomodell. I know you've been through the ringer on this, and it is 100% your right to remove the app. Thanks for all of the time and effort you've put into this. We hope that the fixes that you -- and many others -- are looking for will be implemented soon.

I agree that T-Mobile is (and will be) an innovator, and appreciate you saying so. But customer feedback has driven that innovation. When we do make DIGITS the best service it can be, it will be because of suggestions, bug reports, and constructive criticism like this. We'll be sad to see you go, but we get the reasons behind your decision. Just know that if at any time you have a change of heart and want to give it a shot again, we're here!

- Marissa

• artart

tomodell wrote:

TMobile should get big kudos for their work on developing Digits.

In theory, Digits is a phenomenal idea. But in daily use,

it unfortunately is not ready for prime time.

TMobile does a LOT of things reallllllllly well.

But they also, like any enterprise, have a LOT of things they can work on. . . . .

. . .  and the employee culture . . . ignores all customer feedback

no matter how serious and how valid.

Digits has a LOT of problems.

The problems are being ignored.

I've been inside companies who ignored customer feedback

on serious deficiencies about newly released products.

Often that does not end well.

TMobile wants to romance the business community.

And Digits is one of the arrows in their quiver to try and accomplish that.

Unless the Digits problems are resolved, this could blow up in their faces.

Digits has a lot of problems. They need to be addressed. 

Today they are not being addressed. I hope TMobile wakes up because

I am a TMobile customer and fan who wants TMobile to be successful.

Hi tomodell

I have been following some of the Digits issues you and others have taken the time to bring to the attention of the T-Mo powers that be. Certainly T-Mobile needs as much detailed feedback as possible to figure out how to address each individual problem. As you and others have documented, the problems seem to be overwhelming  the team that T-Mobile employs for the Digits project. I absolutely believe that T-Mobile employees are doing everything they possibly can to rectify the issues that seem to be popping up. It seems that the Digits team might be facing a daily challenge of playing a high tech version of "Whack - A - Mole".  

I have had almost two decades experience as a customer of T-Mobile's. I have seen many problems arise as a result of growing pains experienced by the company. A company cannot accomplish as much as T-Mo has with out putting the pedal to the metal and forging ahead as fast as possible. Of course an awful lot of eggs get broken when you make so many omelets. Judging from your thoughtful balanced evaluation of the current situation I know you can understand that. I of course readily agree with many of the points you have made. It is my personal opinion however, that T-Mobile must already be concerned about those very same points.

T-Mo has in the past has always (eventually) thoroughly remedied any and all problems that I was personally aware of.  That said, it is beginning to appear from my viewpoint on the sidelines, that the issue you raise about the risk of longer term damage to the company's reputation is worth consideration. I do believe that The upper level management is definitely monitoring the overall customer reaction to the Digits program. I am absolutely sure that they are carefully considering all options to up the game and bring the currently frustrating situation to an end.

My low tech solution to solve a high tech problem would be the same one all businesses employ. Dedicate more resources to help the existing team solve the problems that might be temporarily overwhelming those employees. I am sure that T-Mobile execs are carefully considering what might be done along those lines. I am also sure that the right people are being made aware of comments like yours.

I especially would like to compliment you for being fair and balanced in your critique of the company. You have a thoughtful, polite (yet blunt), level headed approach to the way you bring your personal Digits concerns to the attention of the rest of us.  There are also some others like yourself who are experiencing frustration at this point. They like you, have also provided detailed feedback to help the T-Mo team fix the problems. Furthermore you and others have started to provide feedback about the displeasure you are experiencing.  I don't know if it will make you feel any better, but I really do believe that T-Mo is paying attention to all of you.

Thanks for your contribution to making Digits eventually a fantastic reliable, easy to use product. You have my utmost gratitude for continuing to give detailed feedback to help make the service work better.. I had installed Digits when first launched. At the first sign of trouble, I immediately stopped using it. There are life threatening situations which might arise in my household if our phones are not one hundred percent reliable.

I am looking forward to the day when we can use Digits. It will help improve the quality of life of one of our family members who is 91 years old. Digits will allow her to use a tablet as a cell phone. Her deteriorating eyesight makes it very hard to use her cell phone to make calls without assistance these days. She has no problem whatsoever making calls using a Galaxy Tab S2 without assistance. I would also love to be able to answer her phone (line) for her, on my own phone if she is in the middle of a nap.

I do appreciate the pleas you and others are making for T-Mo to hurry up and "Git 'er Done". That is why I have added my own personal lament above to remind T-Mo that there are those of us who don't absolutely need Digits and are willing to stand by and wait for the bugs to eventually be fixed. We on the hand will be extremely happy when the day comes that Digits will be available to enrich the quality of our lives.

Art

• sammydammy

I just want to add my two cents. I'm not a technical sort at all but this seems like such a simple deal. I wanted to add a second line to my mobile phone for business calls. Why is that hard? But this Digits thing is useless and I finally gave up. I have spent hours on the phone with various technical support people but I was never able to get the line to ring on my mobile nor retrieve messages. Even when the technical guy was able to make it ring it never identified it as my business line what's the point? So I give up. At enormous inconvenience to me and my clients. I hope someone with Digits reads these posts and does as others have suggested. Pull the plug and start over. And make it simple.

• magenta2860296

Please let me know if I should officially give up on Digi lines, I just got them 5 days ago